Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
PDB Max3232 problems — Parallax Forums

PDB Max3232 problems

I'm currently experimenting with some serial comms to a Pc.
Started a prop with a serial Cog, outputting a message every second at 9600, hooked up that pin to TX on the on-board max ic. Nothing on the pc, so I checked every pin with my scope, nothing but noise except for one pin that outputs steady -5v.. The prop pin however works fine!

Any ideas?

Comments

• Attach your program?
  • Sure here it comes:

But as stated before, the prop output pin works OK when listening with the scope. Its "after" the max chip that the problem seem to occur
    CON

_CLKMODE = XTAL1 + PLL16X
      _XINFREQ = 5_000_000
      clockfreq = ((_CLKMODE - XTAL1) >> 6) * _XINFREQ

OBJ

debug : "FullDuplexSerial"

PUB main

debug.start(7,8,0,9600)

waitcnt(clkfreq * 1 + cnt)

repeat
      debug.str(string("Hello\n"))
      waitcnt(clkfreq * 1 + cnt)

• Where is the signal getting lost? Specifically, logical pin p8 on the Prop and physical pin 11 (tx1in) of the MAX3232 should both have the "Hello" and then physical pin 14 (t1out) of the MAX3232 should have it inverted at+/-5 levels.
  • Yes, proppin have it, also the max3232 tx1in have it. But after that there is none. Just dead.. however, the t1out does have a steady negative 5v signal. But no more than that..
  • Peter JakackiPeter Jakacki Posts: 10,193
    edited 2016-10-18 11:34
    Remember that RX sometimes gets labeled TX and TX labeled RX. Don't be fooled, an RX is an input and a TX is a output so TX from the Prop connects to TXin on the MAX which connects to TXout on the MAX which goes to RX on the PC.

BTW, if you are trying to measure a signal with the meter it won't show those positive transitions, the best you will get is a slightly less negative voltage when the Prop is transmitting as the meter only gives you a DC average.