Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Propeller Held in Reset - Page 2 — Parallax Forums

Propeller Held in Reset

2»

Comments

• Unfortunately a lot of geophysics gear is still RS232 - Any thoughts on what the best practice would be for the other control lines?
  • Peter JakackiPeter Jakacki Posts: 10,193
    edited 2016-10-18 11:25
    Even so, if you must feed the RS232 signals all the way down the cable then give it its own shielded cable if you must be proper.

BTW, just because I say don't use RS232 that doesn't mean you can't connect to it and be compatible with it, just as 0-5V GPS units do.
  • Tracy AllenTracy Allen Posts: 6,656
    edited 2016-10-19 16:10
    Most geophysical gear I run across is SDI12, or at least SDI12 as an option alongside others such as RS485 or RS232 proper. SDI12, for those who don't know, is a standard per http://www.sdi-12.org/. It can chain multiple geophysical devices along a 3-wire cable, ground, power and bidirectional data. Communication is at 1200 baud, 5 volt levels (active low, pullup high) using RS232 ascii codes. Each device has an address and responds only when spoken to.

As a "general purpose" device I'd imagine that most everything related to the measurement and processing would be taken care of by the core processor based on commands over the main interface The cable to the outside would only need 4 lines max, maybe 5 if you include an external GPS trigger.