Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Updated WS2812 Driver - Page 3 — Parallax Forums

Updated WS2812 Driver

13»

Comments

• JonnyMac wrote: »
    David Betz wrote: »
    Jon,

Thanks for your TC4427 circuit and the new LED driver. I got my RGBW ring today and the driver works fine with both my original RGB ring and the new RGBW ring. In fact, it even works with the circuit built on the PAB breadboard but I intend to transfer it to one of the Parallax PAB overlay boards next. After that, I'll try using your PASM code from C/C++. Thanks for all of your work on this!

I'm glad you and others are finding it useful.
    in fact, right after I posted that message, my son asked me to make him a box that would simulate flames. I'm not sure if I can get enough intensity out of the NeoPixels but I'm going to give it a shot. The idea is to create a flame-like effect that would reflect on a cave wall and look like there is a fire behind the camera.
  • JonnyMacJonnyMac Posts: 8,924
    edited 2016-10-18 20:54
    I've done that many times -- in fact, I wrote about it last year in Nuts & Volts magazine (Halloween issue). The key is to suggest flames, because they're impossible to accurately simulate with LEDs.

Here's one of my bigger Propeller-powered flame simulation/suggestions.

369c9f5d7f7e60ffaaed4fd37dba190d.jpg

This is in the lobby of Riot Games in Santa Monica. The display was built by Steve Wang's team at Alliance Studios. It uses an EFX-TEK HC-8+ controller running several flame and embers cogs, and that data is being pumped out to small DMX bricks.
    I've done that many times -- in fact, I wrote about it last year in Nuts & Volts magazine (Halloween issue). The key is to suggest flames, because they're impossible to accurately simulate with LEDs.

Here's one of my bigger Propeller-powered flame simulation/suggestions.

369c9f5d7f7e60ffaaed4fd37dba190d.jpg

This is in the lobby of Riot Games in Santa Monica. The display was built by Steve Wang's team at Alliance Studios. It uses an EFX-TEK HC-8+ controller running several flame and embers cogs, and that data is being pumped out to small DMX bricks.
    Unfortunately, my collection of Nuts & Volts only goes back to October 2015. I assume the Halloween issue was the September issue.

• Jeff HaasJeff Haas Posts: 418
    edited 2016-10-19 00:25
    David, you can always go to the Nuts & Volts website and download the code for any of their articles for free. Check this out:

http://www.nutsvolts.com/magazine/article/September2015_McPhalen

They will also let you preview a few pages from each issue. Click the "View Digital Edition" button.
  • KednerpoKednerpo Posts: 46
    edited 2016-10-19 23:24
    Ive got the next set of commands running on 2 strips.

Really happy with the results.

Starts at the end of the second strip and runs backwards to the first pixel on the first strip.

Same setup as earlier post.
      count := (STRIP_LEN * 2) + 1   
      if (RGBW == YES)               
        count += STRIP_LEN

repeat 3
        p_pixels := @pixels1
        repeat count
          strip.use(p_pixels, STRIP_LENA, LEDA, BPP_A)
          repeat until (strip.okay)      
          strip.use(p_pixels+(STRIP_LENA*4), STRIP_LENB, LEDB, BPP_B)      
          time.pause(100)
          p_pixels += 4

• Modified "Color Wipe" for 2 strips

Color wipe runs from the first pixel on the first strip to the last pixel on the second strip.

repeat 3
          color_wipe(p_pixels,$10_00_00_00, 500/STRIP_LEN)
          color_wipe(p_pixels,$00_10_00_00, 500/STRIP_LEN)      
          color_wipe(p_pixels,$00_00_10_00, 500/STRIP_LEN)
          if (RGBW == YES)
            color_wipe(p_pixels,$00_00_00_10, 500/STRIP_LEN)

pub color_wipe(p_pixels,rgb, ms) | ch

'' Sequentially fills strip with color rgb
    '' -- ms is delay between pixels, in milliseconds

repeat ch from 0 to STRIP_LEN-1  
        strip.use(p_pixels, STRIP_LEN, LEDA, BPP_A)   
        strip.set(ch, rgb)
        repeat until (strip.okay)      
        strip.use(p_pixels+(STRIP_LENA*4), STRIP_LEN, LEDB, BPP_B)        
        time.pause(ms)

Now that it is running on two strips I'm trying to see if I can make it run on any number of strips that the may be needed
  • I will try the new code out soon on my gadget.
    3264 x 2448 - 2M
    3264 x 2448 - 1M
  • T Chap wrote: »
    I will try the new code out soon on my gadget.
    That looks quite cool! What is it?

edited 2016-10-20 21:23
    Is that a tool for a video editing system? Or a music sequencer?
  • T ChapT Chap Posts: 4,198
    edited 2016-10-20 21:27
    multi purpose propeller widget :) there is an app that it connects to that allows you automate many things.
  • T Chap wrote: »
    I will try the new code out soon on my gadget.
    T Chap wrote: »
    multi purpose propeller widget :) there is an app that it connects to that allows you automate many things.

Very professional looking.

Can you do something about upcoming elections?
  • Yeah... you really can't show a photo of something that interesting and not spill. Come on, man! Let's have it. :)
  • I sent PM. Not possible to discuss much at this time.
  • I got an SK6812 strip with warm white and tried the driver. Everything is working well. Thanks for posting this. I guess I have some under cabinet soldering to do today.
    I probably did -- it's become one of my favorite devices. It's even available in DIP format which lets you hand build adapters. BTW... for high speed signals you should avoid breadboards (like that on the PAB); all those metal plates mean extra capacitance which can foul high-speed signals.

Seems I just found this to be the case. I had placed the TC4427 on a breadboard and a scope on the output of the TC4427 seemed to show only a reset time followed by a time which was variable based upon the number of pixels I told the program to drive. No high speed signals which I would have suspected to be there for 24 bit color. The waveform was rock solid but certainly not what the WS2812's expected.

Removing the TC4427 and driving the WS2812b directly from my QuickStart board worked like a champ with all the demo routines functioning perfectly. The breadboard not only fouled the HS signals but must have swamped them completely.

The driver software seems to be rock solid.

Now on to figuring out how to make a 200 pixel string look like an Aurora Borealis when bounced off a white wall behind a Christmas village display.

• Wurlitzer wrote: »
    JonnyMac wrote: »
    I probably did -- it's become one of my favorite devices. It's even available in DIP format which lets you hand build adapters. BTW... for high speed signals you should avoid breadboards (like that on the PAB); all those metal plates mean extra capacitance which can foul high-speed signals.

Seems I just found this to be the case. I had placed the TC4427 on a breadboard and a scope on the output of the TC4427 seemed to show only a reset time followed by a time which was variable based upon the number of pixels I told the program to drive. No high speed signals which I would have suspected to be there for 24 bit color. The waveform was rock solid but certainly not what the WS2812's expected.

Removing the TC4427 and driving the WS2812b directly from my QuickStart board worked like a champ with all the demo routines functioning perfectly. The breadboard not only fouled the HS signals but must have swamped them completely.

The driver software seems to be rock solid.

Now on to figuring out how to make a 200 pixel string look like an Aurora Borealis when bounced off a white wall behind a Christmas village display.

Long time no see, welcome back!

• Does anyone have a simple demo for this?

I'm working with SK6812 strips and getting useless output.

I could get my strips working with the another sk6812 demo, but that object can only support 256 LEDs. I made a display at 288 LEDs. When I tried to force it over the 256 mark it just locks up randomly.

edited 2017-01-21 21:30
    Are you using the driver attached to the first post in this thread? It contains this method which will work with 24- and 32-bit SK6812 LEDs.
    pub start_6812x(p_buf, pixels, pin, holdoff, bits)

'' Start pixel driver for SK6812RBGW LEDs  
    '' -- p_buf is pointer to [long] array holding pixel data
    '' -- count is # of pixels supported by array at p_buf
    '' -- pin is serial output to SK6812x string
    '' -- holdoff is the delay between data bursts
    ''    * units are 100us (0.1ms) 10 units = 1ms
    '' -- bits is 24 for SK6812, or 32 for SK6812RGBW

return startx(p_buf, pixels, pin, holdoff, true, bits, 300, 900, 600, 600)

The timing parameters are pre-set. You need to provide a pointer to your color buffer (can be up to 1024 longs now), the number pixels in your string, the pin to use, the hold-of period (typically 10 which gives 1ms), and the number of bits (you would use 24 for standard SK6812 LEDs).

If you are going directly from the Propeller to the string you'll want to keep that connection short. Also, do not use a connection from a breadboard as the added capacitance of the breadboard will foul the signal.

• Wouldn't ya know it. I started going through the code again for the this post and found an error.

This is what have to make a working green tower. So I guess it's working.
    con
      _clkmode = xtal1 + pll16x                                     
      _xinfreq = 5_000_000

STRIP_PIN = 1
      STRIP_LEN =  288 
      BPP_A       = 32

var 
       long p_pixels1[STRIP_LEN]

obj
       time  : "jm_time"
       strip : "jm_rgbx_pixel"

pub main

strip.start_6812x(@p_pixels1, STRIP_LEN, STRIP_PIN, 200, BPP_A)
        longfill(@pixels1, $00_20_00_00, STRIP_LEN)
        strip.use(@pixels1, STRIP_LEN, STRIP_PIN, BPP_A)

edited 2017-01-23 03:56
    I can tell you for a fact your program won't work: you have mismatches in names. FWIW, I only use p_ at the front of a variable when it is intended to hold a pointer (the address of) another variable.

Here is corrected code in my style. I am writing about this driver for my March column and I have a test strip of SK6812RGBW LEDs connected. Note that the .use() method is only required when you want to change something about the driver (e.g., output pin or buffer used). I have run this code and it does work: the strip lights green.
    con { timing }

_clkmode = xtal1 + pll16x                                     
      _xinfreq = 5_000_000                                          ' use 5MHz crystal

CLK_FREQ = (_clkmode >> 6) * _xinfreq                         ' system freq as a constant
      MS_001   = CLK_FREQ / 1_000                                   ' ticks in 1ms
      US_001   = CLK_FREQ / 1_000_000                               ' ticks in 1us

con { io pins }

RX1  = 31                                                     ' programming / terminal
      TX1  = 30

SDA  = 29                                                     ' eeprom / i2c
      SCL  = 28

LEDS =  1                                                     ' LED strip

con

STRIP_LEN = 288  

obj

' main                                                          ' * master Spin cog
      time  : "jm_time"                                             '   timing and delays
      strip : "jm_rgbx_pixel"                                       ' * unified pixel driver                                      

var

long  pixels1[STRIP_LEN]

pub main                                                         

setup

longfill(@pixels1, $00_20_00_00, STRIP_LEN)                   ' dim green

repeat
        waitcnt(0)

pub setup                                                        

'' Setup IO and objects for application                          

time.start                                                    ' setup timing & delays

strip.start_6812x(@pixels1, STRIP_LEN, LEDS, 1_0, 32)         ' for SK6812RGBW pixels

• That make a lot more sense.

Thanks for the help.