Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
My Li'l Dino — Parallax Forums

My Li'l Dino

ercoerco Posts: 20,250
edited 2016-09-27 23:39 in Robotics
What's erco been up to, anyway? In the last two years of inventing and freelance, I've done several jobs for Spinmaster's Meccano line. This erector set on steroids can build many things. Here's "Meccasaur", a T-Rex dino. In fact this is the original prototype I made for last year's Toy Fair. They give me a general direction and turn me loose, it's a great working relationship. This is a $90-100 toy, and we're cranking out more all the time. Wish I could show you the new mech-animal I just dropped off today after building & coding until 4 AM. They are getting wilder each time. Stay tuned!

Comments

• Good Job! They do a lot more than Hot Wheels.
  • Excellent, my man!

As you know, I was really impressed with the folks at Spin Master when I visited them last year. (All the better after having Chicken-a-la-Erco earlier in the day!) I was disappointed I couldn't get any publishers interested in a Meccanoid book, even after three versions of the proposal. The pub biz has changed so much these days that everyone is afraid of anything new.

My latest project uses a lot of standard (metal) Meccano parts, so Spin Master hasn't heard the last of me!

(If you see Chip and Andres next time you're there, say "hey" for me.)

• ercoerco Posts: 20,250

(If you see Chip and Andres next time you're there, say "hey" for me.)

Will do, just saw them today. Andres called the project I delivered to him today a "Home Run". I like happy clients. And it was a fun project!

• Awesome, nice work. I need one now.
  • MikeDYurMikeDYur Posts: 2,176
    edited 2016-09-28 18:22
    I didn't hear a time for completion, and it looks like a lot of parts, pretty cool though, very animated.

Is it rechargeable or does it eat D cells?
    Eats 4 C cells. The toy industry still likes alkaline tech. UGH.

My model used 18650s, BTW.

• rjo__rjo__ Posts: 2,114
    Big Sale at Walmart

Is this the one?

Grandson just turned 5...too soon?
  • Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    edited 2016-10-24 21:51
    That is totally awesome. I want one.

But, is that the same Meccano company that made the brilliant sets I had back in the late 1960's?

You know. Real steel struts and beams and plates. Gears, pulleys and axles. Brass nuts and bolts. Even motors with gear boxes.

Infinitely reusable for whatever came to mind. Not just the design on the box.

Can we even get that great stuff any more?

Yup, that's the one, rjo__! Never too young. These kits are great for father/son bonding.

@Heater: Yep, same Meccano company. They still make classic all-steel kits in addition to more modern kits which use plastic panels as well. BTW the big panels are POLYCARBONATE, unheard of in the toy world. Spinmaster, who owns Meccano now, is doing it right.