Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Who Needs a $200 Hoverboard? — Parallax Forums

Who Needs a $200 Hoverboard?

Some kinda daily deal. I nabbed one for the twins. Have to add the flamethrowers later.

http://www.tomtop.com/scooters-wheels-1802/p-y3360b.html

Comments

• Are you looking for fire insurance on the house? :)
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,244
    Battery fire risk? There was no time to think, it's a limited time offer, goshdarnit!
  • I thought they had been recalled because of the battery fire issue. Probably won't need to add a flame thrower.
    Jim
  • to me $299 looks more like $300 then $200...

Enjoy!

Mike
    $229 now, was $199 yesterday. He who snoozes, loses.

When erco says "buy", just say "how many"? :)
  • What is the the four wheel conversion pictured in the ad? Looks like it is a safer alternative to skinning your knees. It doesn't seem like there would be enough weight on the front wheels to get traction, also better wear goggles to keep the grit out of your eyes.
    All I saw was a hottie in a lawn chair. Don't care 'bout no traction or sand in my eyes.
  • kwinnkwinn Posts: 8,697
    erco wrote: »
    All I saw was a hottie in a lawn chair. Don't care 'bout no traction or sand in my eyes.

Forwarded to your wife ;-)
    She's free to oggle as well. A wise old married man once told me, "it doesn't matter where you get your appetite from, as long as you go home for dinner."

• kwinnkwinn Posts: 8,697
    She's free to oggle as well. A wise old married man once told me, "it doesn't matter where you get your appetite from, as long as you go home for dinner."

LOL. So true. Before we got married I told my future wife to expect that I would always look, but would never touch.
  • User NameUser Name Posts: 1,451
    edited 2016-09-26 13:07
    I'm not convinced these are safe. I'd better do some testing before turning it over to the kids. <wink>
  • MikeDYurMikeDYur Posts: 2,176
    edited 2016-09-26 17:58

I had to look again, someone did convert it to four wheels, with a phone holder too. Seems that they are addressing safety concerns.
    No comment on current direction of thread.
    edited 2016-10-07 22:27
    Really delighted with the new $200 hoverboard!! Thanks ercodude! Only problem so far is the 85W switching charger. In my never-to-be-humble opinion it needs better cooling. Accordingly, a tiny fan was mounted to the charger case to blow air in some holes and out others. (I supplied the holes.) It's the same tiny fan size used to cool busy RPi's. Of course Solvay Hut isn't very big and the ground outside isn't especially flat. I may need to head a nearby car park for practice.
    Yep, ours arrived today too, and everyone is trying it out, even Mom. No hospital trips yet. What a lovely day!

edited 2016-10-07 23:59
    User Name wrote: »
    Of course Solvay Hut isn't very big and the ground outside isn't especially flat. I may need to head a nearby car park for practice.

Agreed, Solvay Hut is the world's worst place to hoverboard. :)

edited 2016-10-08 05:13
    Great video snippet, erco.
    You can see there is a small ledge to work with, but its probably not the best place for a beginner to learn. :)

solvay.jpg