Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Making a LED brighter or less bright with a basic stamp and tilt sensor. — Parallax Forums

Making a LED brighter or less bright with a basic stamp and tilt sensor.

I would like to see an example of how to use a basic stamp and "tilt sensor" to make a LED brighter or less bright with a basic stamp.

Comments

• kwinnkwinn Posts: 8,697
    Keith, you were pretty much at the point where you could do that in your previous thread. The only changes you needed to make were to not subtract 127 from the result and use the resulting 0 - 254 value as the input to a PWM statement.
  • xanadu, I have already bought and programmed the Parallax Memsic 2125.
    kwinn, yes, I know I was doing really good. Worked my way through "difficult" code, and experiments, in 4 Parallax books, and two other books on the Basic Stamp. Suddenly realized that all the programs I had been working with only involved stuff leaving the Basic Stamp and displaying on the debug screen. It was at that point I realized I did not know how to actually use the numbers appearing on the debug screen. Yes, I worked out the very complex code for the Memsic 2125 in the Parallax book, and got the correct numbers to appear on my debug screen. After all this hard work it was very discouraging that I could not write simple code to use the numbers appearing on the debug screen in "real life". That is why I ask for help in seeing how I can use the numbers to do the simplest of things---dim the light of a LED, with the tilt sensor. I have read in several places that the Basic Stamp can only do one thing at a time. Does that mean if it measures tilt, then it can not dim an LED with the tilt measurement?
    I have read in several places that the Basic Stamp can only do one thing at a time. Does that mean if it measures tilt, then it can not dim an LED with the tilt measurement?

No. Several things can be done in a loop fast enough that they appear to be done at the same time. This is how single cpu chips run multiple tasks.
    For dimming a led with the tilt measurement you would have a program loop that inputs the tilt measurement, converts the reading (between 1875 and 3125) to a value between 0 and 255, and uses that value in a PWM instruction as shown below.

PWM Pin, Value, Cycles

Pin would be the pin the led is connected to
    Value would be the calculated value between 0 and 255
    Cycles would be 255

You could even use the X and Y inputs to control two leds.
  • Thanks kwinn, I will try to use your example in code to see if I can dim a couple of LEDs. I think once I understand going beyond the debug screen, many things may become more clear.
    Thanks kwinn, I will try to use your example in code to see if I can dim a couple of LEDs. I think once I understand going beyond the debug screen, many things may become more clear.

Should be easy to do. Your prior code took you 90% of the way there. All that is left is to remove the subtraction of 127 from the calculation, add the PWM line, and put them in a loop. Good luck, and hang in there.
  • kwinn, before I write the code using the Memsic 2125 and Basic Stamp to output a variable analog voltage, I want to explain my approach. Please correct anything I have wrong. First off we have this: PWM Pin, Value, Cycles. Actually in terms of the PWM command the Value is the Duty. The Duty formula in terms of the analog output voltage is Duty divided by 255 times 5 volts.
    '{STAMP BS2}
    '{PBASIC 2.5}
    x VAR Word
    y VAR Word
    DEBUG CLS
    DO
    PULSIN 6,1, x
    PULSIN 7,1, y
    x = (x MIN 1875 MAX 3125) -1875 **13369 'x Duty Value 0 to 254, or 1250 times .20399=254.99
    y = (y MIN 1875 MAX 3125) -1875 **13369 'y Duty Value 0 to 254, or 1250 times .20399=254.99
    PMW 4, x, cycles 'Output to a analog voltage PWM filter circuit.
    PMW 5, y, cycles 'Output to a analog voltage PWM filter circuit.
    PAUSE 100
    LOOP
    OK---the number of "Cycles" I list depends on the resistor and capacitor values in the PWM filter circuit I build that leaves the Basic Stamp pins 4, and 5 Charge time for these values is the formula: Charge time= 4*R*C
    kwinn, you say "Cycles" would be 255. I do not think that is correct, because the steady output state of the pin would change the voltage on the capacitor and undo the voltage setting established by PWM. Charge time for the BS2 is once cycle equals 1ms. I understand that cycles depends on how much current is drawn from the external circuit, and the leakage of the filter capacitor. Charge time for a LED with a current limiting resistor should be much different than charge time for the input of an OP Amp. I do not know how to figure "Cycles" to put in the above code?
    How would I figure cycles for a LED with a 1K current limiting resistor? How would I figure cycles for the input of a non inverting OP Amp? Also, do I need the pause, before the LOOP at the end? How much of a pause?
    kwinn, thanks for pointing me in the right direction.
    For a led you don't need a filter capacitor, only the led and a current limiting resistor. The resistor and capacitor filter is only needed if you want to produce an output voltage that you can vary from 0 to 5V. Pulsing the led on and off very rapidly is the standard way to control brightness.
  • kwinn, thanks for your replay. Actually, I wanted to produce a analog voltage I can vary from 0 to 5 volts DC.
    So I need to know how to figure the "cycles" I will need in the code. Since "cycles" is very dependent on current drain, suppose I am feeding the analog voltage 0 to 5 volts DC to a very high impedance load---like the input of an op amp.
    kwinn, thanks for your replay. Actually, I wanted to produce a analog voltage I can vary from 0 to 5 volts DC.
    So I need to know how to figure the "cycles" I will need in the code. Since "cycles" is very dependent on current drain, suppose I am feeding the analog voltage 0 to 5 volts DC to a very high impedance load---like the input of an op amp.

Sorry, can't help you there. No Stamp to test with. All I can suggest is to do a little experimenting by building the circuit and trying various cycle values.
  • I got it working and performed some very interesting experiments. First off, the code above will not run. Notice I used PMW two places in the code and that is an error. I changed the code to PWM and the code ran. I first tried kwinn's suggestion with two LEDs. I could alter their rate of blinking with the "cycles" in the PWM command. I could not get any dimming of the LEDs, and I think that was because of current flow effecting the filter circuit. Later I discovered I was using 1K resistors with .1uF capacitors in the PWM filter circuit. I doubt that using 10K resistors would have made any difference, as it seems the PWM filter circuit seems really sensitive to any current flow.
    What I did next got really interesting. I concentrated on one axis of the tilt sensor. The voltage output was pretty unstable, and would varying from 2.03 to 2.40 volts when the tilt sensor was level. I then ran the output voltage to a buffer op amp, and that cleared up the voltage jumping around. When the sensor was level, with the buffer, the voltage stayed pretty constant at 2.5 volts. Tilting the sensor up the voltage would drop down close to zero. I tried the code without the PAUSE in the code, and the variable voltage output worked quicker and more reliable. Changing the cycles seemed to make little difference unless I got the number real low. I tried changing both the filter capacitors, and resistors in the PWM filter circuit, and that seemed to make little difference. Seemed to work better with a 10K resistor and .1uF capacitor. The variable voltage is not doing exactly what I want. I wish I could get the level voltage to be 4 volts. Also would like the voltage to drop quicker with less movement of the tilt sensor. I could increase the voltage by having the buffer op amp have gain. But I wonder if there is a simpler way with the code, or components in the circuit? At this point I don't know how to make the voltage drop quicker with less movement of the tilt sensor? Right now I almost have to go vertical to get the voltage to drop down to the .3 volt range. I would like to cut that angle down to 45 degrees, or less, to get the voltage to drop to the .3 volt range. Does anyone have a solution to increasing the voltage, besides the buffer? Also--and most important---does anyone have a suggestion of how to make the voltage drop quicker with less of a tilt angle? This is real important---I need the tilt angle to be less, and drop the voltage quicker?
  • When I sleep, things come to me in my dreams---not kidding. The 2.5 voltage reading made me wonder if the 5 volts was being split in half because of me feeding two PWM filter circuits---from the X and Y axis of the tilt sensor.
    I will have to run some tests and try to get the analog 5 volts instead of the 2.5 volts.
    I think I figured out how to make the analog voltage drop quicker when I tilt the tilt sensor. I am pretty sure the scaling code is the answer. I was using a scale code too large. I am going to lower the scale code and see what happens. This should make "big" changes as it is the "DUTY" part of the PWM command.
    I have been using the Parallax Memsic 2125 senor, which is two axis. I am actually wanting a single axis version of this. Does anyone know where to get a single axis version of this type of sensor?
    What is strange about the Memsic 2125 is it reminds me in some ways of Honeywell's Hall Effect Wheatstone bridge. One big difference would be that you would have to add a magnet to get the Hall Effect Wheatstone bridge to work, and with the Memsic you don't need a magnet. I still worry about what will happen if the Memsic gets bumped or jarred? Does the gas bubble then cause problems---or voltage jump?
    I wonder how many people have been following my study and experiments. Sometimes I feel like kwinn is the only one following what I am doing. I guess most people are into robots and the more powerful hot micro-controllers.
  • Analog voltage on a volt meter does not relate to decimal numbers on the debug screen, when working with the Memsic 2125. Use this formula for the value x x = (x MIN 1875 MAX 3125)-1875**13369-127 Trying to convert reading to a analog voltage using the PWM command, and the volt meter jumps all over the place. Still jumps when you use an op amp buffer. Eliminate the -127, and you only get positive numbers. With the -127 eliminated, using the PWM command, the volt meter jumps all over the place, until you buffer the output with an op amp. Voltage laying flat is around 2.50 volts. The axis can be rotated around 45 degrees up to get a reading of 3.50 volts This is a usable transition of voltage in the real world. From my experiments the analog voltage reading on my volt meter has nothing to do with the decimal reading on the debug screen. That is why it is difficult for me to use the numbers on the debug screen. Sometimes numbers don't mean anything unless you are able to use them.
    I am wondering if there is a better way to convert the digital output of the Memsic 2125 to an analog voltage, other than using the PWM command?
    When I sleep, things come to me in my dreams---not kidding. The 2.5 voltage reading made me wonder if the 5 volts was being split in half because of me feeding two PWM filter circuits---from the X and Y axis of the tilt sensor.
    I will have to run some tests and try to get the analog 5 volts instead of the 2.5 volts.
    I think I figured out how to make the analog voltage drop quicker when I tilt the tilt sensor. I am pretty sure the scaling code is the answer. I was using a scale code too large. I am going to lower the scale code and see what happens. This should make "big" changes as it is the "DUTY" part of the PWM command.
    Changing the scale code will not help. The duty cycle input to the PWM command must be a numbet between 0 and 255. You need to read up on how PWM is used for controlling power and for producing a variable voltage or current.
    I have been using the Parallax Memsic 2125 senor, which is two axis. I am actually wanting a single axis version of this. Does anyone know where to get a single axis version of this type of sensor?
    What is strange about the Memsic 2125 is it reminds me in some ways of Honeywell's Hall Effect Wheatstone bridge. One big difference would be that you would have to add a magnet to get the Hall Effect Wheatstone bridge to work, and with the Memsic you don't need a magnet. I still worry about what will happen if the Memsic gets bumped or jarred? Does the gas bubble then cause problems---or voltage jump?
    No problem with the gas bubble, but the voltage may jump or oscillate a bit. Why bother getting a single axis unit. If you don’t need a second axis don’t connect it.
    I wonder how many people have been following my study and experiments. Sometimes I feel like kwinn is the only one following what I am doing. I guess most people are into robots and the more powerful hot micro-controllers.

Analog voltage on a volt meter does not relate to decimal numbers on the debug screen, when working with the Memsic 2125. Use this formula for the value x x = (x MIN 1875 MAX 3125)-1875**13369-127 Trying to convert reading to a analog voltage using the PWM command, and the volt meter jumps all over the place. Still jumps when you use an op amp buffer. Eliminate the -127, and you only get positive numbers. With the -127 eliminated, using the PWM command, the volt meter jumps all over the place, until you buffer the output with an op amp. Voltage laying flat is around 2.50 volts. The axis can be rotated around 45 degrees up to get a reading of 3.50 volts This is a usable transition of voltage in the real world. From my experiments the analog voltage reading on my volt meter has nothing to do with the decimal reading on the debug screen. That is why it is difficult for me to use the numbers on the debug screen. Sometimes numbers don't mean anything unless you are able to use them.
    I am wondering if there is a better way to convert the digital output of the Memsic 2125 to an analog voltage, other than using the PWM command?

You could always use a digital to analog chip for that. To understand why the analog voltage may differ from the reading on the debug screen you need to understand how to convert values from the voltage, current, or other output to units of whatever you are measuring. You also need to understand how to perform calibration on the sensor and associated electronics.
  • I am determined to get a controllable analog voltage out of the Memsic 2125. Here is the new code I wrote.
    ' {$STAMP BS2}
    ' {$PBASIC 2.5}
    'Getting analog voltage from the memsic 2125
    '
    [Declarations
    x VAR Word
    y VAR Word

DEBUG CLS 'Start display
    '
    [Main Routine]
    DO
    GOSUB Memsic
    GOSUB DAC
    LOOP
    '
    [Subroutines]
    Memsic:
    PULSIN 6,1,x
    PULSIN 7,1,y

x = (x MIN 1875 MAX 3125)-1875 **13369
    y = (y MIN 1875 MAX 3125)-1875 **13369

RETURN
    DAC:
    PWM 4,x,40
    PWM 5,y,40
    RETURN
    kwinn, thanks for your input.
    kwinn said: "Changing the scale code will not help. The duty cycle input to the PWM command must be a number between 0 and 255. You need to read up on how PWM is used for controlling power and for producing a variable voltage or current."
    kwinn, I have been reading up on how PWM is used. I used a circuit for the PWM consisting of a 10K resistor, and 1uF capacitor to Vss. I buffered the output with a 358 op amp. From my code above, the Memsic 2125 is spitting out the positive numbers 0 to 255. I am only using the x value in the PWM. The x value in my code is the "duty" part of the PWM. You can change the duty, by changing **13369, and it will change the voltage.
    Examples in the Parallax book concerning PWM, and a variable output voltage, have code where the "duty" part of PWM is a fixed number. By changing this fixed "duty" number in PWM the voltage changes. The problem with using a fixed number, is it makes the Memsic part useless. I can put in some random "duty" number in the PWM command in the code---and the output will have no relation to the Memsic 2125. x in the code above is not a random number picked by me. x in the code above is a random number picked by the Memsic 2125.
    Kwinn, if there is something I am not seeing about how to use the PWM command, then please tell me. By the way, in the code you will see I used 40 as the PWM "cycles". This is because of the 10K resistor and 1uf capacitor.
    By the formula for cycles in PWM Cycles=4 X.000001X10,000=40X10-3=40ms.
    There should be a way to control PWM better with the Memsic 2125.
    kwinn, as you suggested, maybe I need to look into using a DAC instead of PWM. kwinn, I want to thank you for all the help you have tried to give me. Thanks!

Kwinn, if there is something I am not seeing about how to use the PWM command, then please tell me. By the way, in the code you will see I used 40 as the PWM "cycles". This is because of the 10K resistor and 1uf capacitor.
    By the formula for cycles in PWM Cycles=4 X.000001X10,000=40X10-3=40ms.
    There should be a way to control PWM better with the Memsic 2125.

Except for the formula for cycles your code and calculations look OK. According to page 356 PWM cycles should be 5 x 0.000001 x 10,000 = 50ms so at 1ms per cycle it should be 50 cycles for a BS2. That would make the PWM statement: PWM 4, x, 50

Are you using a BS2?

What I would suggest is using something to hold the memsic in four or five stable positions and record several values of x and the corresponding voltmeter readings for each position.

One potential problem is the capacitor. It should be a good quality film capacitor. Electrolytic capacitors have high leakage currents that can affect the readings.
  • Thanks kwinn, I will try your 50 for cycles in the PWM. Yes, I have been using a electrolytic capacitor, and I understand what you are saying about leakage. I will try a quality film capacitor and see what happens.
    Kwinn, I went back to the Parallax book: "Basic Analog and Digital" Version 1.3. My circuit is "exactly" like the circuit pictured on page 133, except for the ADC0831 part. I kept looking at that circuit on Page 133 and thinking.
    On the debug screen pictured at the bottom of page 133, they list a DVM reading of 3.25 volts. So if the debug screen lists 3.25 volts, I should be able to put a volt meter on pin 6 of the ADC0831, to Vss and get a reading of 3.25 volts. This is really screwing up my thinking. In my circuit, the Memsic 2125 is feeding digital numbers to the 10K resistor, 1uf capacitor that makes a digital to analog output. The LM385 then feeds a buffered voltage to the LED, and on to pin 2 of the ADC0831. Then the debug screen is saying the output on pin 6 of the ADC0831 is 3.25 volts.
    I thought the ADC put out a digital signal from pin 6. So if you are getting a voltage reading of 3.25, it must be a DC voltage with a "lot" of ripple. Once I figured out how to use the Memsic 2125, I planned on using it with a voltage controlled amplifier IC chip. The voltage controlled amplfier IC chip is designed for DC voltage, and I don't know how much ripple it can handle and still work. Wouldn't the output voltage from pin 6 of the ADC0831 be like a square wave voltage?
    You talked about me using a dedicated digital to analog converter, DAC "IC", instead of the simple resistor and capacitor. In all of my Parallax books, I don't remember seeing any DAC used. Do you know of a Parallax book that have examples of using a "IC" DAC with code?
    I can get the Memsic 2125 working with the code above, and the circuit mentioned above. I have got a decent range of volts to work with concerning using it with the voltage controlled IC. The exact problem I am having is not being able to "dial" in exactly the range I want with the PWM code. I can use voltage dividers to make the range of voltage from the Memsic 2125 work---but----I don't want to do that. I want to be able to "dial" in the voltage range I want with code. I should be able to do that without the code being that complex, as it is not that complicated of a problem. Kwinn, just remember this one thing: "Every thing in electronics boils down to voltage and current". No matter how complex the problem, it winds up about being voltage and current.
    Thanks kwinn, I will try your 50 for cycles in the PWM. Yes, I have been using a electrolytic capacitor, and I understand what you are saying about leakage. I will try a quality film capacitor and see what happens.
    Kwinn, I went back to the Parallax book: "Basic Analog and Digital" Version 1.3. My circuit is "exactly" like the circuit pictured on page 133, except for the ADC0831 part. I kept looking at that circuit on Page 133 and thinking.
    On the debug screen pictured at the bottom of page 133, they list a DVM reading of 3.25 volts. So if the debug screen lists 3.25 volts, I should be able to put a volt meter on pin 6 of the ADC0831, to Vss and get a reading of 3.25 volts. This is really screwing up my thinking.
    Not exactly. The ADC0831 is an analog to digital converter, so the analog voltage from the 1.0uF capacitor goes in on pin 2 of the adc and the digital data goes out on pin 6 of the adc. The volt meter reading may be 3.25V but that is only because it is averaging the ones and zeros of the digital data out of the adc.
    In my circuit, the Memsic 2125 is feeding digital numbers to the 10K resistor, 1uf capacitor that makes a digital to analog output. The LM385 then feeds a buffered voltage to the LED, and on to pin 2 of the ADC0831. Then the debug screen is saying the output on pin 6 of the ADC0831 is 3.25 volts. I thought the ADC put out a digital signal from pin 6. So if you are getting a voltage reading of 3.25, it must be a DC voltage with a "lot" of ripple.
    It is a digital signal. The debug screen says 3.25V because the BS2 is printing out the decimal value of the digital data it receives from pin 6 of the ADC0831.
    Once I figured out how to use the Memsic 2125, I planned on using it with a voltage controlled amplifier IC chip. The voltage controlled amplfier IC chip is designed for DC voltage, and I don't know how much ripple it can handle and still work. Wouldn't the output voltage from pin 6 of the ADC0831 be like a square wave voltage?
    You talked about me using a dedicated digital to analog converter, DAC "IC", instead of the simple resistor and capacitor. In all of my Parallax books, I don't remember seeing any DAC used. Do you know of a Parallax book that have examples of using a "IC" DAC with code?
    I can get the Memsic 2125 working with the code above, and the circuit mentioned above. I have got a decent range of volts to work with concerning using it with the voltage controlled IC. The exact problem I am having is not being able to "dial" in exactly the range I want with the PWM code. I can use voltage dividers to make the range of voltage from the Memsic 2125 work---but----I don't want to do that. I want to be able to "dial" in the voltage range I want with code. I should be able to do that without the code being that complex, as it is not that complicated of a problem. Kwinn, just remember this one thing: "Every thing in electronics boils down to voltage and current". No matter how complex the problem, it winds up about being voltage and current.

Sorry Keith, but just about everything you posted in this last little bit is leading you down the garden path. While voltage and current is important it is not everything, particularly when dealing with digital circuits and computers.

Take the memsic2125 for instance. It converts the angle of tilt into digital values for the x and y axis. Those numbers have values that should range from 1875 to 3125. Those are nominal values. To be sure the memsic is working properly you need to test it over the full range of tilt on both x and y axis, and verify that the input from the memsic goes from 1875 to 3126, and that the output from the calculation goes from 0 to 255. Have you done that test?
  • Tracy AllenTracy Allen Posts: 6,656
    edited 2016-09-19 18:39
    Keith,

To narrow your range, you need to modify these formulas:

y = (y MIN 1875 MAX 3125)-1875 **13369

The total range there is 1250. Subtracting 1875 gives the values from 0 to 1250, and **13369 compresses the range to 0 to 255. (**13369 is internally equivalent to 13369/65536 -- You can have almost the same result with a simple /5).

Say you determine by experiment that you want the range from 2000 to 2400.
    x = (x MIN 2000 MAX 2400)-2000 */ 163
    y = (y MIN 2000 MAX 2400)-2000 */ 163

The */ 163 compresses the 400 range into 0 to 254. I used the */ instead of ** just for convenience and to illustrate that there is more than one way to skin the memsic. */163 internally is equivalent to 163/256, and you can (or the BS2 can) calculate the */ value to use with the following formula:
    .....factor = 65535 / (full scale range).
    e.g. 65535 / 400 = 163 plus change.

You are right to use the op-amp buffer for holding the voltage while the BS2 is off doing other things. On the other hand the brightness of an LED is a bit harder. LED light output is better driven by a current source. The op-amp circuit can be modified to do that. Another factor is that our eye responds more to the logarithm of the light power output. Perception is relative to the ambient light level. But first things first.

• Thanks kwinn, and thanks Tracy Allen. I appreciate the advice both of you have given me. I will try to digest the information, and do some experiments. I am not giving up. I smiled when kwinn said, " I was being led down the Garden Path". Let me add---Led down the Garden Path to "La La Land." That is funny! Well kwinn, I suspected I was headed down the wrong trail with the ADC putting out digital stuff on pin 6. Tracy, I have been able to brighten and dim a common LED with the code above. As you suggested you can't really tell what is happening with the LED until you put a volt meter on the circuit. Tracy, I understand all the numbers you posted, and will try some different code using those numbers. Altering the range may help me find the correct Garden Path---or rabbit trail. Thanks again!
    Oh, one last thing: In the many Parallax books I have, I can't find one example of using a DAC IC with code. In the books everything that leaves the Basic Stamp winds up on the Debug Screen. There has to be at least one Parallax book describing a DAC IC example with code? I am not talking about a resistance ladder with a buffer, I'm talking about a dedicated DAC IC example. Is there such a thing in all the Parallax teaching material?
  • Nuts and Volts 59 in Volume 2 is mostly about the MAX5250. Look in here.
    edited 2016-09-20 17:43
    Attached is Stamp code for an MCP4822, a 12 bit, dual channel DAC. Pretty self-explanatory.

Another option for you might be a digital potentiometer.
    ' {$STAMP BS2pe}
    ' {$PBASIC 2.5}
    ' MCP4822   Microchip, digital to analog, SPI, two channel.
    ' Demo ramps up on channel A while ramping down on channel B
    '  pin 1=  Vdd 5V
    '  pin 2 CS\ low to activate
    '  pin 3  SCK serial spi clock
    '  pin 4  SDI  serial data input
    '  pin 5  LDAC\
    '  pin 6  VoutB
    '  pin 7  Vss common
    '  pin 8  VoutA

dacCS PIN 14  '  chip pin 2 CS\ low to activate
    dacSC PIN 13   ' chip pin 3  SCK serial spi clock
    dacSD PIN 12   ' chip pin 4   SDI data
    '   dacLD    tied low for immediate update    

dacA  CON $0000   ' pin 8 output selects which DAC
    dacB  CON $8000   ' pin 6 output
    dacX1 CON $2000    ' gain select 1x (0 to 2.048 Volts)
    dacX2 CON $0000    ' gain select 2x (0 to 4.096 Volts)
    dacON CON $1000    ' power on output active ~500 µA
    dacOFF CON $0000   ' power off output hiZ ~5µA

value VAR WORD
    wx VAR WORD
    FOR value=0 TO 4095 STEP 64
      wx = dacA + dacX2 + dacON + value
      GOSUB DAC4822
      wx = dacB + dacX2 + dacON + (4096-value)
      GOSUB DAC4822
      ' DEBUG "."
      ' PAUSE 10
    NEXT

DAC4822:
      LOW dacCS
        SHIFTOUT dacSD,dacSC,MSBFIRST,[wx\16]
      HIGH dacCS
      RETURN

• Thanks to everyone that has tried to help me. Tracy, your information is extremely helpful. Chris in a e-mail turned me on to a Parallax article about an OP Amp controlling a fan with PWM. I am digesting that information which has really helped. kwinn was right again. I needed to go back and learn more about PWM. I thought I knew all about it, but I see now there is more I need to learn. I am in the process of digesting--and thinking---concerning all the new information. I will get back and let everyone know my progress after I do some experiments.
  • The more I read about PWM in the Parallax books, the more I am confused. I can scale and control the output of the Memsic 2125. The digital numbers that come out of the Basic Stamp then must be fed to a PWM fitler circuit, composed of a resistor, and capacitor, that make up a DAC. The signal can then be buffered with a op amp, and fed to the ADC0831. I fully understand the PWM DAC circuit. What I don't understand is the PWM code, or the format terms. Let me explain why I don't understand how to use the PWM code, and format terms. OK, one Parallax book says: "The format for the PWM command is: PWM Pin, Duty, Cycles." Another Parallax book says: "Duty Cycle= On-Time divided by the period." OK, what cycle are we talking about? So this other Parallax book mixes the words Duty Cycle, like they are the same thing? From the definition of the PWM command, I thought Duty, and Cycles were two different quantities. So why does the other book say Duty Cycle? Extremely confusing to me--but maybe I'm just stupid. So where does period mix into the PWM command format PWM Pin, Duty, Cycles. Nothing in the PWM command says anything about a period? I understand Duty can be from 0 to 255. Cycles can also be between 0 and 255. I understand that cycles specifies the duration of the PWM signal in 1 milisecond units. I understand that the DAC resistor and capacitor form a low pass filter, 1/2x3.14 x (resistor value) x (capacitor value). I assume the components are chosen to leave no ripple or AC component, where the PWM frequency is well above the cutoff frequency.
    Now getting back to the numbers the Memsic 2125 puts into the basic stamp.
    y = (y MIN 1875 MAX 3125)-1875 **13369 I thought these numbers were the Duty of the format for the PWM command. I can change the range. x = (x MIN 2000 MAX 2400)-2000 */ 163
    Maybe I have everything wrong, maybe these are not the "duty" numbers. Where in the world does PERIOD come in?
    Duty Cycle is defined as: On-Time divided by the period. I have no idea what the period is? I have no idea how to select the resistor and capacitor values of the DAC to leave no ripple or AC, because I don't know how to figure the frequency of the PWM. I also don't understand if there is a pause or time requirement in the code depending on the DAC filter components. After reading all the material in two parallax books concerning PWM, I don't have a clue as to how to write the code. Nor do I understand what or how to figure the duty cycle. I don't understand what is meant by cycles in the format, when it is used in a different context Duty Cycle. Can someone clear this mess up for me? All I am wanting is something real simple. I just want a variable analog voltage from the circuit using the Memsic 2125. Why does this have to be so complex and confusing?
    edited 2016-09-21 06:50
    The Basic Stamp is not the best choice for learning about PWM. It took me a while to figure it out and I have been in the field for close to 5 decades.

The typical PWM signal is really simple. The basic signal is a square wave, so the output is either at 0V or at full voltage. For a 5V chip like the Basic Stamp that would be 0V or 5V.

Pulse width modulation outputs the pulses at a fixed frequency, so each pulse starts a fixed time from the start of the previous pulse. That is the period, which is 1/frequency.

Now connect that signal to a 1K resistor. If you connect 5V to a 1K resistor you would get a 5mA current flowing through it which would result in 5V x 5mA = 25mW power to the resistor.

Now instead of a fixed 5V lets say we have a 5V PWM signal at a frequency of 1KHz across that 1K resistor. That signal would have a period of 1mS. If that signal square wave was high for 0.5mS and low for the rest of that 1mS period the resistor would get 5V x 5mA x 0.5 = 12.5mW since the power is applied for half the time. The duty cycle would be 0.5mS (on time) / 1mS (period) or 50%.

If the on time changed to 0.25mS the applied power would be 6.25mW and the duty cycle would be 25% ( 0.25mS / 1.0mS ).

When the PWM signal is applied to a filter circuit like the 10K-1uF circuit you used the capacitor is charged during the on time and discharged during the off time. The end result is that after 5 RC time constants the capacitor is charged to 5V x on time / period. The RC time constant is R x C which in this case is 10,000 x 0.000001 = 0.01Sec or 10mS. Multiply that by 5 and you get the 50 cycles required by the Stamp PWM instruction.

I’m guessing the 1mS time for each cycle is how long the Stamp firmware takes to execute the PWM instruction code. This cycle value is needed to allow for different values of R and C in the filter circuit.

Finally, the 0 to 255 range rather than using a percentage must be for ease of programming and providing finer control over the duty cycle. Percentage provides a resolution of 1 part per 100, while using an 8 bit binary value provides a resolution of 1 part per 256 with no increase in memory use or program complexity.
    edited 2016-09-21 15:45
    Keith, for another perspective on the elephant, I have an article on the BS2 PWM command on my web site at http://emesystems.com/BS2PWM.htm.

You are correct that expressions like
    or
    give the number to plug into the duty parameter.

The choice of R x C governs how fast the buffer will respond to changes at the input. It also governs how much ripple will be left in the output after filtering. When the duty value is either near zero or near 255, it becomes harder to filter. It requires a larger value of R x C and more cycles to reach a steady state. On the other hand, duty values near 128, or say in the range from 32 to 224 are much easier to filter and require fewer cycles.
  • kwinn, and Tracy Allen, thank you for your help. I went to bed last-night frustrated. Read about PWM in my Basic Stamp manual, then read the posts both of you made. I am starting to understand what is going on. PWM for the Basic Stamp does not work the way conventional PWM systems work. I think I now understand "DUTY" in the Basic Stamp PWM. I also think I now understand "CYCLE" in the Basic Stamp PWM. Cycle deals with the time it takes for the Stamp firmware to execute the PWM instruction code, 1ms for each cycle. So depending on resistor and capacitor values the formula 4xRxC is the required Stamp firmware execution time. But----there is "more" to the choice of resistor and capacitor. As Tracy Allen said in his post, RxC governs how the buffer responds to changes. Plus the choice of RxC governs ripple in the DC. Tracy really hit the nail on the head. I have been worried all along about how much ripple there would be in the DC. Why you ask? Because I plan on using the analog DC to feed to a voltage controlled amplifier IC. I was worried about how much ripple I could get away with. With the excellent help of kwinn and Tracy Allen I am now able to understand and figure what "DUTY" I want. I also understand how to apply formulas to figure the "CYCLE" part of the PWM. NEXT: Pencil out values with the formulas. Test with experiments. Adjust as needed. Hopefully I have got a handle on this. I will let everyone know about my progress. Meantime I am reading the link Tracy posted. Thanks
    If ripple is a problem using PWM then a DAC is the obvious solution to that. Output a number to the DAC and you get a stable DC voltage out that is proportional to that number.
  • kwinn, I am going to experiment further before I give up on PWM. I am trying to get my figures correct before I try the experiments.
    I am going to use the "Duty" parameter x = (x MIN 2000 MAX 2400)-2000*/163 The extremes of the Memsic are 1875 to 3125, and the tilting I am going to be doing is in the range on 15 to 30 degrees max, down to zero degrees on one axis. Figuring the "CYCLES" in the PWM format with the resistor and capacitor values in the filter circuit may be the most difficult. At the extremes of the "Duty" parameter--Duty 1 or Duty 255-- more filtering through many cycles is required. The least filtering is required with the Duty parameter being 128, which is in the middle. For Duty 1 or 255 a minimum of 200 pulses. For duty 128 only one pulse.
    RXC product must contain at least 200 pulses for the lowest expected frequency. With the "x" duty parameter listed above, we are still dealing with 0 to 254. 400x163/256=254 The filtering required is all relative to how much ripple you can get away with. Each cycle on the BS2 takes .00115 seconds. If you use the figure 100 for cycles, the time required for the BS2 is 100x.00115 seconds, which equals = .115 seconds. The formula for resistor capacitor charge time is 4*R*C. So a value of 4x10,000x.000001= .04 seconds. So using cycle at 100, with the values of 10K and .1uf----filter network gets charged in .04 seconds, and the basic stamp is doing it's work in .115 seconds. If anyone sees a flaw in my figures, or thinking, please point the mistakes out. From what I am seeing, the size of the resistor and capacitor, plus the cycle number "ALL" depend on the range I tilt the axis in my application, and the amount of ripple in the DC I can get away with.