Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
A Method For Controlling a GoPro Camera Remotely Via WiFi Using Raspberry Pi — Parallax Forums

A Method For Controlling a GoPro Camera Remotely Via WiFi Using Raspberry Pi

I have mounted a Tarot 2 axis gimbal on two multicopters - an Elev-8 (V2) and a Tarot FY680 Pro. I've shot some nice aerial video, when I remember to press the record button prior to takeoff, but find it annoying when I forget. Also, I cannot change camera modes to "photo" in flight and shoot still images.

I'm also using an APM 2.6 flight controller, and would like the APM to control the camera shutter so I can fly a grid pattern, shooting overlapping stills so I can stitch the images together to create a 3-D model of the terrain.

Recently, I found an article posted by Patrick Duffy on the DIYDrones.com site that I would like to share as some of you may also have a GoPro mounted on your Elev-8, or other robot and would like to control the camera remotely. Here is the link to Patrick's article: diydrones.com/profiles/blogs/how-to-control-a-gopro-camera-on-apm-pixhawk-with-a-raspberry-pi

Patrick automatically puts his camera in photo mode whereas I would like to toggle between photo and video modes, so I'm making the following modifications: I'm using an extra channel to control the camera modes and running a wire from the receiver channel to a CPIO pin on the Raspberry Pi board:

Diagram_zpskliduxa0.png

I will have to modify the rc.local file to establish the WiFi connection to the camera and then invoke my Python script to listen in on the GPIO pins and issue the appropriate commands to the camera via the WiFi link. Here is my modified script (note, I have not yet received my R.P. board so I have not yet tested the script:

https://dropbox.com/s/xffbtvl94zizxcn/MyGoPro.py?dl=0

Patrick has assured me that the WiFi will not interfere with the 2.4 Ghz communication with my Spektrum transmitter/receiver because it uses spread spectrum technology and will switch to a clearer sub-channel. Anyway, I thought I'd pass along Patrick's solution and hope that some of you may find it useful! I hope to get my R.P. board today or tomorrow and can finish the mods this week.