Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Integrating the "prop plug" circuitry into my own board? — Parallax Forums

Integrating the "prop plug" circuitry into my own board?

Hey guys,
I am wanting to build a device that has the prop plug circuitry built into it, so the entire device can plug into a USB port and use serial communication (full duplex serial library to communicate with a piece of software on a computer).

I came across this thread:
http://forums.parallax.com/discussion/135764/ftdi-usb-interface-to-propeller-circuit-variations

And it has this circuit schematic:
FTDI%20example%20circuit.jpg

Can I just integrate this into my board using those parts, and that same windows driver thats used for the prop plug and be good to go?

What do you guys recommend?

Comments

• Mahonroy wrote:
    Can I just integrate this into my board using those parts, and that same windows driver thats used for the prop plug and be good to go?
    Yes. This is a good circuit and better than the one originally used in the Prop Plug. If you also want to power your board through the USB port, you might take a look at the circuit for the Propeller Activity Board.

-Phil
  • I build these plugs onto my prop boards but I don't use the 74lvc buffers. Next time I'm on I"l post you my diagram with Usb mini B part number. So far they all work flawless
  • You NEED the buffers to avoid the phantom reset problem. Do NOT leave them out!

-Phil
  • Peter JakackiPeter Jakacki Posts: 10,193
    edited 2016-09-01 06:07
    Funny, when I do actually incorporate the FT232RL into a PCB I just couple the USB power direct to the board's 5V system. Despite this being a "no no" I never have had any problems including false resets with a wide variety of boards with a wide variety of PCs etc.
  • Build it in accordance with the prop plug data sheet #32201 listed by Parallax. I don't use any USB power but use a separate supply for the Prop. and I don't use buffers but it probably won't cause any problems and may avoid resets though I never experienced any. A good Usb mini B connector is a UX60-MB-5ST or digikey P/N H2959CT. The Digikey P/N for the FT232 is 768-1007-1-ND. Both are SMT so I'm guessing you already have a hot air rework station. If not you can get one on Amazon for about $65.00. I have some artwork for the FT232 and USB mini B if you need it for your PCB.
  • https://www.reddit.com/r/Tymkrs/comments/4kggsj/serial_to_usb_board_design/

Here's my reference to all of the various Serial to USB circuits that I've seen Parallax use. Hope it can be of help to others doing this.
  • Tracy AllenTracy Allen Posts: 6,656
    edited 2016-09-08 20:07
    Also consider the FT231X, a more recent, advanced chip, smaller and cheaper. I think Parallax is using it on some boards now.

One thing I don't recommend that is found on most of the Parallax schematics is a capacitor connection directly from the DTR output of the FT chip to the base of the transistor that provides the reset. It does work, but it severely overdrives the transistor and creates a nasty transient. Use a resistor in series with the capacitor to the base, as is shown on the circuit in post #1. The capacitor can be quite small, ~100pF. I don't use the buffers, but to forestall phantom power to the FT chip, I do check to see if anything is connected to the USB port and only start the serial port object if so, plus resistors in the rx and tx paths.

• That circuit doesn't comply with the USB specification. It also doesn't follow the application notes of the FTDI part.
  • Guys use this design from parallax.com 32201 prop plug
  • Peter JakackiPeter Jakacki Posts: 10,193
    edited 2016-09-19 00:06
    DigitalBob wrote: »
    Guys use this design from parallax.com 32201 prop plug

Please don't let this be the last word on what should be a reference design. As mentioned the transistor should have a current limit resistor for best design practice and in mine I actually use a digital transistor with built-in resistors. Also there is no provision for powering the Prop from the USB power and all it needs there is one extra pin while still being compatible with the standard 4-pin arrangement. In this case I typically use my 4+4 layout with I2C and +5V on the other pins or a 1x5 arrangement with the +5V next to the ground. Although I don't use I2C from the USB I do use I2C to read and program the EEPROM directly with a clone dongle or from the Bluetooth module. Sometimes the "prop plug" does double duty as a connector for an external display etc.

In the same form-factor as the 4+4 arrangement I also have a Bluetooth module which can plug in in place of the USB although swapped 180' so that it is kept internal.

btw, since I tie the USB +5V directly to my board it also means that if I powered my board externally it would also supply 5V onto the USB port. In the USB spec this is a no-no but in all the many years I have done this on all kinds of equipment I haven't had any problems with doing so plus I reason if gimmick manufacturers can sell USB coffee cup warmers and so on, then the USB spec is already being abused anyway. My way of doing it also means that I never have a problem with phantom power reset issues. Seriously, I don't have USB problems.

Here's a circuit of my prop plug although the resistor network isn't normally loaded plus the DDTD transistor has built-in resistors plus I actually use microUSB connectors with through-hole mounts.
    1450 x 830 - 122K
  • I'm only guessing but I would like to think that parallax knows how to make their own prop plugs. I use this parallax one all the time with no problems. But I do not use it to power my prop chip.
  • Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,069
    I did use a similar circuit to Peter's.

I use a SOT23 transistor with internal series resistor to the base, and a 10K between base-emitter. There are a few different versions with 470R and 1K series base being the easiest to get. I use an external 10K pullup on the prop /Reset pin.

I now use a microUSB connector with thru' hole frame mounts.

I use a 1x6 connector where the centre 4 are the standard GND,nRST,SI,SO. The pin before GND is +5V from USB but I also have a link in this line. I don't use the last pin following SO.

My latest designs don't usually have the USB on the board. I provide the transistor reset circuit on my pcbs with 0.050" links than can be soldered or use the rather expensive 0.050" pins and a link. Same goes for the EEPROM - I have a 10K pullup on the nWP pin and a 0.050" link to ground. This gives me the option to write protect the eeprom.

I now use the cheapie eBay CP2102 board (less than $2 shipped) that has the DTR brought out (not all cheapies bring this pin out). For reference, there are 6pins: DTR,RXD,TXD,+5V,GND,3V3. Do not use the 3V3 as there is not enough current for the Prop circuits.

For this reason, I have changed my boards plug pinouts to suit these USB boards. On my P8XBlade2, unfortunately I just could not squeeze the *RST pin next to the SO so it is necessary to bend the DTR pin to the next position.
    Note I cut off the 3v3 pin from the CP2102 board.

(see my P8XBlade2 link in my signature for the whole circuit)

IMG_3258a.jpg
    2447 x 745 - 433K
  • DigitalBob wrote: »
    I'm only guessing but I would like to think that parallax knows how to make their own prop plugs. I use this parallax one all the time with no problems. But I do not use it to power my prop chip.

"use this design" is more than an opinion or personal preference. Parallax do indeed know how to make their own prop plugs but that does not necessarily mean that the person who designs it is necessarily the best designer or their best design. Please take into account that Parallax are not the originator of USB to logic level serial converters, there are many of these converters out there, all based on FT232 or CP2102 or CH304 etc. All these manufacturers know how to make their chips and have recommendations for their use as well. In the end we have to be the best judge of what is suitable though.

This in no way says anything against Parallax products, they make good quality products, it's just that they could be and I think should be better. Besides the OP's question was to the forum and the reply is from the forum. That original circuit looks overly complicated with the gates etc yet it doesn't even have pullups on the RX line and there needs to be bulk capacitance across the VCC as well, usually 4.7uF.
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2016-09-19 02:43
    DigitalBob wrote:
    I'm only guessing but I would like to think that parallax knows how to make their own prop plugs.
    I think you'll notice an evolution in Parallax's USB->Serial circuitry over the years, starting form the original Prop Plug in 2006 and continuing to the circuit used in the Activity Board. Each in the sequence is an improvement over the one before it. Like all of us, Parallax learns from their past designs.

-Phil
    BTW There is a reference circuit design recommendation in the FT232 chip manual for USB designs powered separately (ie not USB).

The problem of the FT232 being parasitically powered from the SO/P30 prop pin is likely typical of a lot of chips. It is just that they are powered from the same power supply. The issue is the clamping diodes to protect from static and human body discharge. Many years ago, chips died for apparently no reason but when they were decapped static discharge was an extremely common problem.

To me, the issue is that the FT232 is an overpriced chip, making the PropPlug an expensive product. That in turn makes prop boards expensive.
    Originally that was probably not the case, but it certainly is these days, and hence why we see other so many cheaper alternatives. Heck, they are even inbuilt in many micros these days.
  • Why is anyone still using the FT232RL? The FT231XS is a better chip, smaller package (20 pin instead of 28 pin) and it costs less ($2.48 vs $4.50 in singles from Digikey).

Design inertia for new designs, or what?

• Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    Tracy,

I think it boils down to propagation of copy/paste schematics. The schematic you copy may not be the newest/best design, but I think that is what happens sometimes.
  • Indeed, why tinker with something that is known to work.

FTDI too is on a learning curve and their products evolve and improve to keep up with technology and standards.

The FT231XS will work fine in exactly the same circuits as the FT232RL, cut and paste, original or bettered. One only has to adjust the pin numbers. I choose it largely because it has far better support for compliant USB->LiPoly battery charging.
  • I like Cluso's website very nice products. But I see you still offer a FT232 prop plug for $8. Do you have a newer version
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    Tracy,

Just to be clear, I'm with you. I look around for improvements to circuits before copy/pasting, but I think the "don't re-invent the wheel" concept is ingrained in us and we sometimes fall victim to it.
  • jmgjmg Posts: 15,148
    Why is anyone still using the FT232RL? The FT231XS is a better chip, smaller package (20 pin instead of 28 pin) and it costs less ($2.48 vs $4.50 in singles from Digikey).

Design inertia for new designs, or what?
    Of course, even that can be followed with

"Why is anyone still using FT231XS, the CP2102N is a better chip, smaller package (3mm vs 4mm) and costs less $1.33 in singles from Digikey )"

• I'm thinking the CP2102 F or GM's
  • jmgjmg Posts: 15,148
    I'm thinking the CP2102 F or GM's
    ? To clarify, the CP2102N is a new extended & lower cost member, of the older CP2102 series.
    Part codes for this are
    CP2102N-A01-GQFN20
    CP2102N-A01-GQFN24
    CP2102N-A01-GQFN28
    So new, it looks like stocks are due Digikey 4 Oct ...

I like Cluso's website very nice products. But I see you still offer a FT232 prop plug for $8. Do you have a newer version

Thanks Bob.

No new version. I would have to see if I have any pcbs left although I can get more. I have a number of real FT232RL remaining.

However, I now use the 6pin USB to Serial from Alicennnnn (forget what the numeric number is) on eBay. Last I looked they were $1.45ea posted. Of course you need the transistor reset circuit which all my latest boards have as a linked option. Plus you can power from the USB too.
    They are the CP2102 QFN dated 1507. Works great as I use them all the time now, even on W10. Don't even recall needing to load a driver as Windows did it automatically I think.
  • Tracy AllenTracy Allen Posts: 6,656
    edited 2016-09-20 17:39
    @jmg
    Of course, even that can be followed with
    "Why is anyone still using FT231XS, the CP2102N is a better chip, smaller package (3mm vs 4mm) and costs less $1.33 in singles from Digikey )"

You've got me there. The price and the capabilities of the CP2102 family and the new 'N version especially look to be great.

I do have an aversion to QFN packages, due to routing issues and also due to headaches in manufacturing. Mainly though I have the "familiarity" syndrome. I've used the FTDI products (in tssop) for years now. I've perused their data sheets and app notes backwards and forwards. I know their FT-Prog configuration utility, and I have my layouts and my configuration templates all set, and I have hundreds of units deployed out in the field. If I start using Silicon Labs products, I'll have to start over with data sheets, app notes, layouts, templates, configuration utilities and drivers, along with the uncertainty (good or bad) that comes with applying any new chip. And I'd have to keep the wherewithall to support both FTDI and Silicon Labs. I have a small business, and I do understand design inertia! The FT231XS is $1.98 @ 100 vs the CP2102N-24 at $1.25 @ 100.