Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
70% Off: Ciseco/Wireless Things Shutting Down — Parallax Forums

70% Off: Ciseco/Wireless Things Shutting Down

Saw this on another forum. UK-based, so prolly most useful to UK-based folks, once shipping is factored in.

https://www.wirelessthings.net/

http://www.picaxeforum.co.uk/showthread.php?29204-WirelessThings-(Ciseco)-radio-modules-70-off

Comments

• Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    What is the trick to this wireless things / Internet of Things business?

These guys have fallen on stony ground. Meanwhile the Onion guys went to Kickstarter to get $1500 to productionize their "thing" and ended up netting $672,801 !!

The Espruino Puck asked for a few thousand and got £115,816 !!

• kwinnkwinn Posts: 8,697
    Heater. wrote: »
    What is the trick to this wireless things / Internet of Things business?

These guys have fallen on stony ground. Meanwhile the Onion guys went to Kickstarter to get $1500 to productionize their "thing" and ended up netting $672,801 !!

The Espruino Puck asked for a few thousand and got £115,816 !!

Seems to be the difference between someone producing an open useful gadget and someone trying to lock users in to their "cloud" service thing. Most folks are too smart to buy in to that.
  • KeithEKeithE Posts: 957
    edited 2016-08-26 21:25
    kwinn wrote: »

Seems to be the difference between someone producing an open useful gadget and someone trying to lock users in to their "cloud" service thing. Most folks are too smart to buy in to that.
    If their devices depend on a proprietary cloud, then why would anyone buy their products in a going out of business sale?
  • kwinnkwinn Posts: 8,697
    edited 2016-08-27 02:15
    KeithE wrote: »
    kwinn wrote: »

If their devices depend on a proprietary cloud, then why would anyone buy their products in a going out of business sale?

That was in response to Heaters post about the IoT things. The Onion and Puck pushed open source and standards and got way more money than they were aiming for. With Wireless Things that openness was not so clear, but if the price is low enough people will buy them and hope for the best.
  • KeithE wrote: »

I bought all of the Home Depot remote-controlled outlets available in NOLA (4 packages of 2) because they were powered by ESP8266, and I knew I could reprogram them. As for the stock firmware, I don't need the mothership in China to know every time I turn on a lamp.
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,253
    edited 2016-08-29 01:13
    NOLA=Northern Louisiana or N'Awlins?