Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
CGA anyone? — Parallax Forums

CGA anyone?

I know this has been mentioned before but I don't know if anything else came out of it.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone has done anything recently with CGA graphics and the propeller. I wouldn't think so but you never know.

The reason I ask is that my retro computer is starting to take shape. I'm going to use the propeller as the video processor and connecting it to my CGA monitor would be awesome. Yes, green screen NTSC is awesome too but we've already done that. :-)

Comments

• Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    Wow. You must be the last person in the world that has a working CGA monitor in the house!

My idea of "green screen" predates CGA and for sure did not include NTSC or PAL.

• Well, I have a couple "green screen" monitors but they are both from Apple and take a standard NTSC input. They just output green only.

But, I also have a Commodore 1084S monitor which is switchable from CGA (RGBi) and NTSC composite (oh, and S-Video).

But, but, there was no such thing as CGA or NTSC in the old days of green screen monitors. Before the new fangled world of micro-processors and then Apple, Commodore etc.

• Actually there was a really early ATI graphics card that let you run CGA on green "hercules" monitors. Shades of green, all fourthree of them

Shades? What do you mean shades? It's either green or it's off.

Oh and no graphics. And only uppercase text.

:)
  • Heater. wrote: »
    But, but, there was no such thing as CGA or NTSC in the old days of green screen monitors. Before the new fangled world of micro-processors and then Apple, Commodore etc.
    The NTSC standard was first introduced in 1941. Does your green screen monitor pre-date that?
  • jonesjones Posts: 281
    edited 2016-08-25 23:57
    NTSC was around, but it wasn't used for the sort of terminal monitors Heater is referring to. There wouldn't have been much point to an analog raster standard when a character was either on or off, or maybe had two or three brightness levels for highlighting text. Until PCs came along, if you wanted graphics you were pretty much stuck with something like a Tektronix terminal. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tektronix_4010

I think Tubular is referring to the IBM 5151 green monitor that sold with original IBM PCs. Well, they cost (a lot) extra, but they were sold for use with those computers. They were text only (or block "graphics") with the IBM monitor adapter card, but had a full character set and at least a couple of brightness levels (might've been three or four) for highlighting text. You could get pretty decent graphics with a Hercules graphics card (or the later ATI clone) and the 5151 assuming the software supported it. The text on that monitor was so intensely green that after several hours of use, everything but the screen took on a pink cast.
  • Well since its Friday I went for a wander through the IT museum here, and you're exactly right Jones, it was a 5151 display.

I also found the documentation for the early ATI board. Would you believe they called it a 'BUG BOARD' (!!). Here's a photo of the opening page where they talk about "emulation" of CGA. Its proof that even if you call a product something silly at the start, you can still go onto greater things and become a leader in your industry.

And I've thrown in a photo of the test rig workhorse here that has what I think might be an MDA display. Its been going solid for 30+ years of continual use. In BASIC it can't select a graphics screen mode, but looks like two intensities of color, as well as underline (it doesn't have that ATI bug board in it)

• tonyp12tonyp12 Posts: 1,950
    edited 2016-08-26 03:17
    When I think green monitor, I think b/w ntsc style raster.
    but as computer could only output 0 or 1 for the pixel but if computer was capable of analog shades, monitor may have displayed those shades.
    So it is very close to a b/w video monitor but with green phosphor.

There was a vector game console, that with plastic overlay got you regions of "colors".
    Vectrex_machines.jpg

• BTW, I hope to buy an IBM 5150 later this year. I doubt I will be able to find a 5151 monitor that is affordable, however. Which is sad.

Also, did you know that IBM knew not everyone would be able to afford the 5151 so that's why the CGA cards also had an NTSC output as well. So that people could use their cheaper color TV's if they wanted. Smart move on IBM's part. And, recently, some clever folks figured out how to get over 1,000 colors from that NTSC port on real CGA cards using NTSC artifacts. Incredible!

Finally, that's why the original speed was 4.77 MHz which is a multiple of the NTSC color burst. Well, it's 1/3 of 14.31818 MHz which is 4x NTSC color burst.
    Sapphire,

Yes, I phrased that badly. Of course NTSC has been around for yonks. It's just that I don't recall ever seeing a green screen that used NTSC in the pre PC days.

Computers did not have graphics cards. Monitors were fed with ASCII data over a serial line. All the rastering and character generation was done in the monitor.

One of my favorite ever jobs years ago was writing graphics code for those huge round vector graphic radar displays.

Now those did have graphics cards. They took display lists from memory and generated the required X,Y voltage ramps to draw the vectors.

• Hi
    Elektor produced a circuit for generating vector graphics MANY years ago. I used it to generate flite sim output (just a landing strip and hangar), and it worked very well. I think Elektors idea was to generate shapes on a 'scope driving x and y directly. Used a couple of 13600's if I remember correctly.
    Dave
    Ah, good old Elektor. Had not seen or thought about Elektor for years now. Glad to see they are still around https://www.elektor.com

Those old radar displays were beautiful things. They were huge cathode ray tubes, 24" or so. And round, of course. With vector graphics one could draw maps, aircraft plots, text labels and so on in fine detail that would have required a 4K raster display. A raster display was impossible at the time as the RAM just was not available.

The circuitry that generated the vectors was amazing to. A custom processor that took drawing instructions, move, draw etc from display lists in memory shared with the Lucus 16 processor. That was good for drawing long lines for maps and stuff but making text that way would have required too many instructions for all the fiddly little strokes required for a character set. It would also be too slow. The solution was a specialized character generation hardware, built in ECL on a couple of big PCBs with a big aluminium heat sink panel clamped to the chips. It ran hot!

Those screen were monochrome, green or yellow. But there were colour screens under development.

A quiz question: How do you make a colour display in a CRT when you only have one electron gun?

• tonyp12tonyp12 Posts: 1,950
    edited 2016-08-27 04:51
    focus rings
    a third color phosphor deposited in a second ring circumscribing said first ring and said central portion
    http://patentimages.storage.googleapis.com/pages/US4095144-1.png

but I would guess rapid color changes was not possible,
    Ingenious.

That's not how the displays we had worked. We had no problem with rapid colour changes.
    Hmm...depends what you mean by "rapid" I guess.

Radar tubes had long persistence phosphors. Which was a good thing because the refresh rate was pretty slow. A long persistence gets rid of flickering. It also means you can draw a lot more stuff, the memory is in the phosphor!

Still it was plenty fast enough for real-time pan and zoom etc. I would love to have seen an asteroids game made for those displays!
  • potatoheadpotatohead Posts: 10,253
    edited 2016-08-27 05:24
    Color can be done by shifting the raster, rescan, shift, etc..

Persistent phosphors glow plenty long enough. With good phosphor, one only needs a 20hz or so total scan rate, 20hz per color, 60hz all together.

And because it's vectors, that means all vectors drawn in that time.

With a static charge memory CRT, just get it all done as quick as can be done. The display holds the image.
    potatohead,
    Color can be done by shifting the raster, rescan, shift, etc..
    That was not it either.
    edited 2016-08-27 15:47
    Ok, spin the colors in front of the tube, sync, and users eye persistence does the work.
    edited 2016-08-27 17:42
    Oh, Potatohead, I always wanted to do that just for fun. Haven't seen a white phosphor CRT for decades so I guess it's too late. Hmm..wonder if it works with a white led panel ?

Anyway. The displays we had were called Penetron Displays. Despite the patent linked to above bearing the same name they did not have phosphor dots or rings of different colours. They were much simpler.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penetron#Penetron

Basically the screen has two phosphor layers of different colours on it.

So, for a some anode voltage the electrons only make it to the first phosphor layer they meet and it lights up with it's colour. For some higher anode voltage they blast through that first layer and make it to the second. Which perhaps has a higher electron/light efficiency and it lights up with it's colour. For voltages in between they both light up about the same and you get a colour mix.

All you had to do was modulate the Anode voltage to get the colours. Doing that at 30KV or whatever is a bit tricky. In that case there was a switching transistor sitting up at 20 odd KV that could switch on and off a further few KV. It was electrically isolated and driven via a fiber optic cable from the graphics driver logic. I thought it was pretty neat.

• The spinning wheel should work just fine with any fast light source.

Best have a dark viewing environment though.

Yes, white CRTs are very hard to find now. And they aren't exactly white either. Most have a blue tint, some orange or pink.

Old monochrome TV sets can still be found here in the wild.

Man, that HV switching! Guess you want a slooooow horizontal scan rate.

Seems like shifting the raster with a slight bias would be plagued with purity problems. Likely to make old style convergence adjustments look like a cake walk...
  • Re: CGS

I have one old monochrome graphics screen. IMHO, an NTSC TV driver does output the CGA frequencies. All you should have to do is generate the sync pulses and run the WAITVID in VGA mode to put put the 16 colors needed.

Without a screen to test... tough to do.

edited 2016-08-27 18:24
    Hey, just read through that. Seems like a simple loop with the sync signal and color bars would do for testing.

There is another old PC hack out there waiting too. Nobody seems to have done interlace with the CGA monitor and hardware.... Edit: was done, original IBM hardware was botched.

Anyway, you could get 400 lines on that old display and hopefully there is enough video RAM on the card to buffer pixels... Edit: I also wonder about really fast pixel clock rates. Might be able to get nice color on that old screen by flogging the inputs fast... Run 1280 pixels in the active zone and see if it doesn't munge that into grey scales... :D

You need 4 color pins, two sync pins, and 4 volts or so for the pulses..

Maybe a Prop could drive it directly. May need a level shifter too.
    There was no horizontal scan rate. There was no raster. These were vector graphic displays. Steer the beam with the X-Y deflector plate voltages to draw your strokes. The deflector voltages came from a graphics processor that read lists of instructions, the display lists of move to/draw to/change colour operations, from memory and generated the the appropriate voltages. The refresh rate depended on how many operations you put in the display lists.

There were sort of "convergence problems". When you crank up the anode voltage to change the colour the electrons are moving faster. That means they respond less to the deflector plate voltages. Your picture gets bigger. So, you had to modulate the deflector drive to compensate.

edited 2016-08-27 18:26
    Of course. Was mixing thoughts there. Seems like a mess. :D Old display tech is always a treat to learn about.

Thinking about those vector displays some more one could say there was a raster of sorts...but in polar coordinates not cartesian .

A radar sends out a pulse and then listens to the echo. In the case of this radar with it's 256 mile range the echo signal has a duration of 2.6 milliseconds.

That echo signal could be displayed on a scope with the brightness controlled by the signal level. Thus highlighting where any reflecting objects are. This is equivalent to a video scan line.

The radar rotates and sends out pulses at the Pulse Repetition Frequency (PRF). So you have PRF of these scan lines per second. You cold display them one under another, raster scan fashion like a TV. Better idea of course is to scan the line from the center of your screen to the edge and rotate that line around the screen in sync with the physical radar rotation. Now you have your highlighted target spots on screen in polar coordinates.

The long persistence phosphor is a bonus here. It means the spots stay lit up after the scan has moved around, which is pretty slow. One revolution in a second or so.

The displays I worked with could display such a raw "video" signal from the radar. But you have a lot of time between scan lines. If the PRF were 50Hz that's 47.4ms of free time. During that free time the vector display generator could use the electron beam to draw maps, range rings, target labels and other information.

All brilliant stuff. I would not say it's a "mess". Simple, elegant, reliable.

Note: That 50Hz is only an example. I did not know what the actual PRF of our radar was. That was information was a NATO classified secret.

Quiz question:

How did they rotate that radar video scan line around the screen in early radars? Remember there were no computers or electronics much to generate fancy signals X-Y deflection signals.

• I don't know this one. Have no idea...

And, I agree with all of that. A vector / radar display, or ones like the air traffic controllers used to use, is indeed a mixed mode device. I got to tour PDX airport back in the day, and it was kind of amazing the old gear they used and how effective it actually was.

I was amazed to find out how they did that is a teenager on a school trip to The Science Museum. They had an old war time radar display opened up. Looking in the back I could see that it had coils for beam deflection around the tube neck, like a TV. But these coils were attached to a motor that could rotate them around the tube in sync with the actual radar antenna rotation. Bingo! You have a rotating video scan line! I'd never thought about this problem before but I was stunned at it's simplicity and brilliance. I already had a head full of oscillator, wave form generator and whatever simple electronics (with tubes of course) had you asked me I would have said the task was impossible with the electronics available at the time.

Years later I was interviewed for a job at the Marconi Radar Company. One of the questions the head of the displays division asked me was: What shape wave forms do you need to apply to the X-Y deflection of a CRT to create a rotating scan line? We then spent a good long time discussing all the circuity they used to actually do it at that time. I must have given a reasonable answer, I got the job. Funny how these little things in life link together.