Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
The Collatz Conjecture Is a Simple Problem That Mathematicians Can't Solve - Page 7 — Parallax Forums

The Collatz Conjecture Is a Simple Problem That Mathematicians Can't Solve

123457»

Comments

• Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    Brilliant.

I make that about three and a half thousand instructions per test.

Seems a bit low, but maybe I have miscalculated. Or perhaps most of the tests take less work than than I expect.
  • yetiyeti Posts: 818
    edited 2017-04-03 10:54
    Collatz Conjecture in Color - Numberphile

Added 20170403:

Coloring Collatz Conjecture (extra footage) - Numberphile

Collatz and Self Similarity

• This is cool, If Tom could store a plot of his Conjecturing, and be able to download it at any time. It is art in itself on the PST.
  • That's really neat! It reminds me of the complex organic-looking structures that can be made from simple fractal equations:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barnsley_fern

-Phil
  • Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    Oh boy, the hours I spent creating ferns on my Atari ST 520 with affine transformations....

Amazingly, now that I think about it, sparked by an article in the British newspaper the Guardian. Which ran a computing page every Thursday. Do newspapers still carry such intelligent content?

Also amazingly that numberphile link led me to a vid about mathematicians trying to solve a problem about moving a sofa around a corner. I recall Douglas Adams describes a computer stuck in and endless loop trying to figure out how to move a sofa up some stairs and around a corridor....
  • The CAD software I use has a module that does this. It's a lot of fun to build pathological cases and watch it solve.

It employs some methods first. Then randomized those. Then it will employ a binary tree of sorts exploring movement combinations.

When all else fails, it will just thrash randomly.

Solution times get exponential quick. The thing does get there by brute force eventually, though I've seen it take days.

That feature is used by the auto industry to evaluate whether it's possible to service complex things once assembled. It has the most trouble with "barely fits through" scenarios, often getting close, then random thrashing, until some exit possibility is found.

If you want, it can be watched real time. Slower that way, but a lot of fun.

• potatohead wrote:
    When all else fails, it will just thrash randomly.
    'Sounds like me trying to fish the fuse holder lid back on in my '82 Mercedes 240D. "Dang it! It came out. It has to fit back through there!"

-Phil
  • 'Sounds like me trying to fish the fuse holder lid back on in my '82 Mercedes 240D. "Dang it! It came out. It has to fit back through there!"
    That sounds like a monkey trap. Open hand will go into the jar, fist closed around the candy will not come out!
    Jim