Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Outdoor Self-Sufficient Experimental Rover (OSSER) — Parallax Forums

Outdoor Self-Sufficient Experimental Rover (OSSER)

Well, I have definitely bitten off more than I can chew this time......

Got this idea from the book 'Build Your Own Robot!' by Karl Lunt.
Excellent read, highly recommend it, even though it was published in 2000.

One of the chapters (all based on Nuts & Volts articles the author wrote) details a 'bot called 'BYRD' (Back Yard Research Drone), made out of a wheeled cooler.
Based on that chapter, I've had a bit of a (decade-long) dream to build something similar.
So..... Decided this past weekend to pull the trigger and start building this bad boy....

This thread will be ongoing, as OSSER will take quite a while to complete due to both time and finances.

Moderators: if I've dropped this in the wrong category, please put it where it belongs, and thank you!

Project Details: (sparse right now, will be updated as I learn and figure out more) [all part numbers listed are for Parallax products]
Chassis will be a large-ish cooler (~30" long, ~20" wide), with locomotion provided by #28962 motor and wheel kit and #28961 caster kit.

SLA(s?) for a power source, possibly 2 12v in parallel

12v solar panel mounted on top, at minimum will allow the robot to recharge batteries when drained, I'm hoping the the current supplied by the panel will be enough to power the 'bot. If anyone has suggestions or knows of a better panel, please let me know. I value any advice and feedback you guys have!

DHB-10 for driving the motors, may be writing my own firmware for that to add a complete shutdown command (Plans are to have the robot almost completely shut down to recharge the batteries)

At least 2 Propellers for brains, may use 3 (one will be devoted to sensor data aggregation, and possibly navigation (although that may be relegated to a third Prop...), one will be a high-level 'directives' controller, intergacing with a GPS unit (#28510) and an XBee for a datalink)

Object sensors include (but not limited to!) 6 #28997 and 6 #28999 Sharp IR distance sensors and possibly a few PING)))s

Sensirion SHT-11 (#28018) for datalogging and other as yet undefined purposes

LM34 (#604-00011) for monitoring the internal temperature of the cooler and electronics, might install a servo or linear actuator to pop open the lid if things get too toasty inside...

SD card for datalogging

Like I said, bitten off a lot more than I can chew, but this will no doubt be a HUGE learning experience and hopefully tons of fun!

Cheers,
Pete

Comments