Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Win10 Procrastinators: The End is Nigh! - Page 3 — Parallax Forums

Win10 Procrastinators: The End is Nigh!

Comments

• Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    On the upside, after a twelve hour Win 10 "upgrade", installing a full up Debian with KDE in a Virtual box machine only took one hour!
  • Heater, Windows 8 was even worse than 10 about trying to force or trick you into linking your login to a Microsoft Live account.
    edited 2016-07-17 16:27
    localroger,

Good to hear. Win 8 on another old laptop belonging to 'er in doors is about to get the chop, she just agreed to it now seeing as this Win 10 install worked out OK.

Now what is wrong with this picture?

snapshot1.png
    1920 x 1080 - 935K
  • @Heater - aren't you confirming that Win10 is a good thing while you post this from a more reliable KDE Debian system just before you attach the screenshot itself to your post?
  • Oh my Heater, that is epically MeTa!
  • Peter JakackiPeter Jakacki Posts: 10,193
    edited 2016-07-18 02:45
    @Heater - I see what's wrong, your desktop is too clean. Here is a screenshot of my workspaces on my kitchen table laptop, not even my work desktop!
    Screenshot%20from%202016-07-18%2012-57-28.png
    What's wrong with the picture...

1) That is a screenshot of my beloved K Desktop Environment on Debian running under Virtual Box full screen into a 24 inch monitor attached to a crusty old Samsung laptop running the new Windows 10 upgrade.

2) The is an icon on the Linux desktop for Microsoft Visual Studio Code. Microsoft software on Linux?! That's just weird.

3) When I took the screenshot there was a Windows control panel window open over the lower left corner of the screen. That just looks weird. Of course Ksnapshot does not know it's there so it's not in the picture.

4) The "metaness" of this did not strike me until I had posted it here!

Give me a break Peter, I only just got all this installed and running nicely, haven't got down to work yet!

I'm not about to confirm that Win10 is a good thing. It seems to work. Makes a god "bootloader" for Linux:) But as far as I can tell the root user of this machine is not me, it's Microsoft. This is not good.
  • zappman wrote: »
    zappman wrote: »
    on July 11, 2016 12:35PM
    erco wrote: »
    As of yesterday, my Craig tablet is now working well with Windows 10. I had previously done a clean install of Win10 but the audio stopped working. I restored to Win8 using a USB media drive I had created. Craig support was utterly useless to suggest a solution through several emails (we're on our own, guys). So yesterday I did a Win10 upgrade (instead of a clean install) and all's well.

Which leaves me with 2 desktops and a laptop to upgrade to Win10 before July 29. I'm debating whether to put Win10 on my old Acer Aspire netbook. It has XP, would need to put Win7 on it (I have an extra family pack license). I know it works from http://www.techtimes.com/articles/71296/20150723/this-old-acer-aspire-one-can-handle-windows-10-video.htm but who knows, maybe an XP machine will come in handy for something like an ER-1 robot.

Hmmmmm.....
    I have a pair of Acer Aspire One laptops (circa 2012). The first says its ready to install Windows 10. But, the 2nd needs many many Windows 7 updates, before it is ready to install Windows 10, and trying to get Windows 7 updates takes soooo long. I don't know that the updates can be downloaded and installed before July 29th.
    I have been installing Windows 7 updates for over 4 days :zombie: , on my 2nd Acer Aspire One, the one that needed the most updates. The last update I installed upgraded (???) the laptop from Windows 7 to Windows 10.

Just goes to show all you Win10 Procrastinators, its not too late.

Now, I need to get Windows 10 installed on my other Acer Aspire One laptop.

I have been installing Windows 7 updates for 4 more days, on my 1st Acer Aspire One, the one that needed the least amount of updates. The last update I installed upgraded (???) the laptop from Windows 7 to Windows 10.

Just goes to show all you Win10 Procrastinators, its still not too-ooo-ooo late.

I might try updating a desktop currently running Windows Vista. If I do, I will try using the Win 10 ISO download method on a new hard drive.
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    KB3035583 has turned itself on yet again on my machines and has been promptly hidden. Alas, my work laptop has just been upgraded. :crazy:
  • Dave HeinDave Hein Posts: 6,347
    edited 2016-07-22 21:43
    How long does it take for Windows 10 to download? The download screen on my Window's 7 laptop has been running for a few hours. The only indication that anything might be happening is a swirling activity indicator. However, it doesn't indicate how much has been downloaded or how much more needs to be downloaded.

My desktop computer got updated a few months ago without any problems. It was Windows 7 one night when I went to bed, and the next morning it was Windows 10. I don't recall telling it to update, but I must have accidentally failed to click on "No" instead of "Yes" during one of the 100's of times it asked me to update.

I've only run into a few problem since it's been updated. I had to tweak a setting for Cygwin so it would run properly. A genealogy program that I use runs slowly when merging large files. The program is 11 years old, so maybe I need to get an updated version of the program. I also had to fix a shortcut that was no longer pointing to a valid directory.

The biggest problem I had was that Windows 10 no longer has a free solitaire game included. My wife was not very happy when she found out that spider solitaire was no longer on the computer. It appears that Microsoft is trying to make some extra income by selling games instead of providing a few free games. Fortunately there are free alternatives on the internet.
  • OK, after 2 or 3 hours of the swirling indicator the screen finally changed to a another screen with a progress indicator. It's now at 1% of a total 2,933.7 MB to be downloaded.
    As I mentioned above somewhere the download/upgrade tool 12 hours on my old Samsung laptop. I attributed that to the fact the machine was connected over 3G but perhaps the bottleneck is elsewhere. Many people around the net have been complaining of long upgrade delays.
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,244
    Ha, sounds like the servers are choking trying to keep up with all the procrastinators! I guess we're all seeing the new yellow exclamation mark over the Win10 upgrade icon, huh? Click on that to see the giant countdown clock.

I was never able to get Win 10 on my main desktop. I was going the upgrade route to keep files. Guess I'll have to back everything up and try the clean install route.

I also have my Toshiba laptop to upgrade. At least I have both ISOs on disk, 32 and 64 bit, so maybe that will go fast.

• Everybody here seems to be keen to upgrade to the 'free' windows 10.

I am usually a MS guy and like the stuff they make. VS code is just a meager clone of VS for windows.

I do like the whole product line with SQL server/Report Server, all the shebang I need for productive work.

But somewhere in my Brain is that nagging thing that Windows 10 will be like Office 365 a yearly to pay offer from MS.

So you do not own your OS anymore, you RENT it.

I find this quite disturbing and am not sure how to handle this.

For now I will stay on 8.1 but on the long run I will need to find some other OS.

I do not like to rent my own computer.

Mike
  • Just finished upgrading to Windows 10 from 8.1 on my Mac (using Parallels VM). Took about 1.5 hours with no hitches. I was expecting much worse.
  • My other 3 Windows computers are already on Windows 10, so I decided that I might as well upgrade the 4th one also. I'm 6 hours into the upgrade and it's been sitting at "Preparing to upgrade" for a while. The actual download didn't take very long once it got to that point. I'm not sure what it really doing right now. Hopefully it will be up and running Windows 10 in the morning.

If Microsoft starts charging a yearly fee I'll most likely move to Linux at that point. However, I'll probably have to keep Windows on my wife's Surface. As far as Microsoft Office is concerned, the last version I bought was '97. That does everything I need to do.
  • I am happy with Android. If I can get what I need to work on it I will.
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,244
    Dave Hein wrote: »
    As far as Microsoft Office is concerned, the last version I bought was '97. That does everything I need to do.

Napoleon Dynamite: "Lucky!"

https://windowsinstructed.com/run-microsoft-office-windows-10/

msrobots,

We seem to have had a role reversal here. You are having your doubts about Windows and MS and I have been happily using Win 10 on a Surface Pro for over a month.

In fact the whole world has gone upside down recently.

'er-in-doors is back home happily using my Debian Linux PC.

I'm writing this on Visual Studio Code. A brilliant piece of work. Open source, runs on Linux, integrates git. Not anything like old Visual Studio, thank God.
    But somewhere in my Brain is that nagging thing that Windows 10 will be like Office 365 a yearly to pay offer from MS.

For now I will stay on 8.1 but on the long run I will need to find some other OS.

Well, technically you have never owned MS Windows or most other software. It's all copyrighted material and you licence use of it.

Of course a one time license fee for perpetual use is not the same as a licence that demands constant payments.
    This is the sort of thing many of us have been warning against for decades. Usually we are written off a demented "MS Haters" or just ignored. It's good to see that these issues are finally getting some discussion around the net.

The Surface machines are a prime example of "renting" ones computer. After having paid quite a lot for it there is no way to repair it after the guarantee period. Can't open it, can't even change the battery. Nothing to do but shell out for a replacement.

• kwinnkwinn Posts: 8,697
    edited 2016-07-23 13:04
    As far as Microsoft Office is concerned, the last version I bought was '97. That does everything I need to do.

Don't know why any one would bother when Libre Office can open and save files for any version of MSOffice, offers equivalent functionality, and is a free download.
    Heater. wrote: »
    msrobots,

We seem to have had a role reversal here. You are having your doubts about Windows and MS and I have been happily using Win 10 on a Surface Pro for over a month.

In fact the whole world has gone upside down recently.

'er-in-doors is back home happily using my Debian Linux PC.

I'm writing this on Visual Studio Code. A brilliant piece of work. Open source, runs on Linux, integrates git. Not anything like old Visual Studio, thank God.

Well, technically you have never owned MS Windows or most other software. It's all copyrighted material and you licence use of it.

Of course a one time license fee for perpetual use is not the same as a licence that demands constant payments.
    This is the sort of thing many of us have been warning against for decades. Usually we are written off a demented "MS Haters" or just ignored. It's good to see that these issues are finally getting some discussion around the net.

The Surface machines are a prime example of "renting" ones computer. After having paid quite a lot for it there is no way to repair it after the guarantee period. Can't open it, can't even change the battery. Nothing to do but shell out for a replacement.

Which is why I passed on the Surface machines when I bought a new laptop. Would have passed on Windows 10 as well if that had been a viable option.
    On the other hand...

I have a stack of old laptops. They could be brought back to life with new batteries, minor repairs, more memory, SSD upgrades and so on.

It's never going to happen though. They are big and heavy and I really don't want to carry them anywhere any more. The screens are not so good. They keyboards are awful. I've never liked the laptop form factor anyway. There is just no incentive to keep them going.

So when I thought about the "you can't repair it" issue I decided the sealed nature and possibly limited life of the Surface did not really make much difference.

Of course it helps that the boss is paying for it :)

• Dave HeinDave Hein Posts: 6,347
    edited 2016-07-23 14:11
    kwinn wrote: »

Don't know why any one would bother when Libre Office can open and save files for any version of MSOffice, offers equivalent functionality, and is a free download.
    I use Office 97 on my desktop computer, and Libre Office on my laptop. I prefer using Excel in Office 97 over the spread sheet program in Libre Office. Libre Office's version handles graphs differently, and I don't find it as easy to use. There are a few things with graphs that I haven't figured out how to do in Libre Office. I'm sure if I worked with it more I could get used to it, but I prefer Excel.

BTW, I'm still working on upgrading my laptop to Windows 10. When I checked it this morning it was still showing the "Preparing to update" screen. I rebooted the computer a couple of times, and it appears that it was upgrading Windows 7 with the latest updates. After the third reboot it finally starting installing Windows 10. The install screen says it's now at 26%.

On the other hand...

I have a stack of old laptops. They could be brought back to life with new batteries, minor repairs, more memory, SSD upgrades and so on.

It's never going to happen though. They are big and heavy and I really don't want to carry them anywhere any more. The screens are not so good. They keyboards are awful. I've never liked the laptop form factor anyway. There is just no incentive to keep them going.
    On top of that there is also the cost of parts for upgrading. Once that gets to be a sizeable percentage of the cost of a new laptop going with new makes sense both economically and for the added functionality.
    So when I thought about the "you can't repair it" issue I decided the sealed nature and possibly limited life of the Surface did not really make much difference.

Of course it helps that the boss is paying for it :)

Not quite ready to go that far just yet. On average I keep my laptops for about three years so I want them to be repairable. Out of the last five laptops I have had one with a problem while under warranty and two with problems just after the warranty was up. Fixing the out of warranty laptops made a lot more sense than replacing them.
  • Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,066
    kwinn wrote: »

I use Office 97 on my desktop computer, and Libre Office on my laptop. I prefer using Excel in Office 97 over the spread sheet program in Libre Office. Libre Office's version handles graphs differently, and I don't find it as easy to use. There are a few things with graphs that I haven't figured out how to do in Libre Office. I'm sure if I worked with it more I could get used to it, but I prefer Excel.

BTW, I'm still working on upgrading my laptop to Windows 10. When I checked it this morning it was still showing the "Preparing to update" screen. I rebooted the computer a couple of times, and it appears that it was upgrading Windows 7 with the latest updates. After the third reboot it finally starting installing Windows 10. The install screen says it's now at 26%.

I have a 5 user Office 97 that I used up until a couple of years ago when I graduated to ~Office2010 and then upgraded to Office365.
    I dislike hate the newer user interface. I spend ages searching for the various operations in Excel. The graphs never seem to do what I want (Office97 works like a dream). The colors are terrible when compared to Office97.

But I was forced to upgrade because of handing the new spreadsheets and word documents send by others that I had to modify and return.

The much slower upgrade path that both business and home users are now on is a significant threat to companies like MS and Intel. MS is, and has been for some time, on a path to yearly licenses. Intel tried to infiltrate the ARM/Android market with their Atom processors, but that failed horribly (and we all learnt just how much Intel has been making from their other x86 chips).

Perhaps if MS and Intel had not been so greedy, users would have upgraded more often???
  • Peter JakackiPeter Jakacki Posts: 10,193
    edited 2016-07-24 01:06
    Cluso99 wrote: »
    But I was forced to upgrade because of handing the new spreadsheets and word documents send by others that I had to modify and return.

LibreOffice is only a free and open click away, it's what I use to handle all those latest Office365 documents that people email to me (they don't know any netiquette about just sending pdfs rather than "documents")
    Cluso,
    (and we all learnt just how much Intel has been making from their other x86 chips

We did?

Do you have a link to some juicy story about that?
  • Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,066
    Cluso,
    (and we all learnt just how much Intel has been making from their other x86 chips

We did?

Do you have a link to some juicy story about that?
    Yes, they were selling the Atom chips for ~$20 (or giving them away too). They still want $100's to $1000+ for the x86 chips.
    The ATOM is x86 compatible and now 64-bit. They have dual and quad cores ~1.4GHz. That's why we have been seeing $100+ tiny boxes using ATOM + Windows 10 (see RK36S)
  • zappman wrote: »
    on July 11, 2016 12:35PM
    As of yesterday, my Craig tablet is now working well with Windows 10. I had previously done a clean install of Win10 but the audio stopped working. I restored to Win8 using a USB media drive I had created. Craig support was utterly useless to suggest a solution through several emails (we're on our own, guys). So yesterday I did a Win10 upgrade (instead of a clean install) and all's well.

Which leaves me with 2 desktops and a laptop to upgrade to Win10 before July 29. I'm debating whether to put Win10 on my old Acer Aspire netbook. It has XP, would need to put Win7 on it (I have an extra family pack license). I know it works from http://www.techtimes.com/articles/71296/20150723/this-old-acer-aspire-one-can-handle-windows-10-video.htm but who knows, maybe an XP machine will come in handy for something like an ER-1 robot.

Hmmmmm.....
    I have a pair of Acer Aspire One laptops (circa 2012). The first says its ready to install Windows 10. But, the 2nd needs many many Windows 7 updates, before it is ready to install Windows 10, and trying to get Windows 7 updates takes soooo long. I don't know that the updates can be downloaded and installed before July 29th.
    I have been installing Windows 7 updates for over 4 days :zombie: , on my 2nd Acer Aspire One, the one that needed the most updates. The last update I installed upgraded (???) the laptop from Windows 7 to Windows 10.

Just goes to show all you Win10 Procrastinators, its not too late.

Now, I need to get Windows 10 installed on my other Acer Aspire One laptop.

I have been installing Windows 7 updates for 4 more days, on my 1st Acer Aspire One, the one that needed the least amount of updates. The last update I installed upgraded (???) the laptop from Windows 7 to Windows 10.

Just goes to show all you Win10 Procrastinators, its still not too-ooo-ooo late.

I might try updating a desktop currently running Windows Vista. If I do, I will try using the Win 10 ISO download method on a new hard drive.

I just did a fresh install of Windows 10, using a new hard drive and a Windows 8 key, using the Win 10 ISO download method. The desktop previously was running VISTA. Was able to complete this much faster than my Windows 7 to Windows 10 upgrades.
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    The biggest problem I had was that Windows 10 no longer has a free solitaire game included. My wife was not very happy when she found out that spider solitaire was no longer on the computer. It appears that Microsoft is trying to make some extra income by selling games instead of providing a few free games. Fortunately there are free alternatives on the internet.

You just brought up one of the main reasons I refuse to let my Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 PCs upgrade. Microsoft takes more than they give during the "upgrade". Since when does an upgrade include removing software you previously owned. If you're running your Windows Multimedia Center, after the "upgrade" you don't have that anymore either. And even with Windows 8.1 MS took away the free image/backup software that was included in Windows 7.
This discussion has been closed.