Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Win10 Procrastinators: The End is Nigh! - Page 2 — Parallax Forums

Win10 Procrastinators: The End is Nigh!

Comments

• ercoerco Posts: 20,250
    Nice clock, Andrew!

Makes me recall another sig event (an anniverary) approaching on July 20. NO GOOGLING!

And please NO MENTION of it here. Make people think. Just say A-ha when you get it. Did I already say NO GOOGLING ???!!!

Us old guys know it by heart. We were young dreamers back then. I get a buzz just thinking about it.
  • A-ha! One of those that you remember where you were when it happened!
  • Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,069
    Aha :)
    On school study break for trial final exams (HSC for ozzies)
  • Camp Eagle, Fort Sill, Oklahoma. Just about to get my gold bars as a Field Artillery officer. Hot, dusty, living in a tent.

John Abshier
  • July 20th??? I though I was the only one that cared about Elisha Brown's 1,235 pound cheese ball that he pressed at his farm in 1801............
  • I am so upset with MS and Windows 10 that I am close to suing!!!! In all my years of being in the IT profession I have NEVER experienced a full blown virus on any of my servers or workstations. I have had a few hiccups along the way and some Malware here and there but never anything drastic. I upgraded my Windows 7 workstation a little over a month ago. I went in to the hospital for surgery on June 21st. I came out on June 26th and my system had restarted itself and had Ransom ware on it. Every file I had was locked and renamed. Fortunately I do a 3 way backup on a daily basis but I am really upset because the system was not even in use. Windows 10 built in AV blows!!!!!
  • Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    edited 2016-07-12 23:56
    So Peter, I took the plunge and installed kde-plasma-desktop onto Debian in VirtualBox on the Surface Pro.

Seems to have only eaten a gig or so. Still loads of room here.

Looks even better when I put it up on my big screen.

screenshot.jpg

2736 x 1824 - 326K
  • I would not allow any working Win 8.1 computer to update to 10 for numerous reasons. But I do have two new computers that came with Win 10 and they are acceptable, mostly because I turned off all the mothership Smile during installation and disabled Cortana. I also installed ClassicShell, so they have exactly the same user interface which is mostly the same as XP. I have never used a metro/modern/whatever app for anything.

My biggest problem with both 8 and 10 is that file transfers are inexplicably agonizingly slow. Transfers of small files which should be done before your finger has rebounded from the ENTER key take ten seconds. Nobody seems to be able to explain this.
    NWCCTV,
    I am so upset with MS and Windows 10 that I am close to suing!!!! In all my years of being in the IT profession I have NEVER experienced a full blown virus on any of my servers or workstations. I have had a few hiccups along the way and some Malware here and there but never anything drastic. I upgraded my Windows 7 workstation a little over a month ago. I went in to the hospital for surgery on June 21st. I came out on June 26th and my system had restarted itself and had Ransom ware on it. Every file I had was locked and renamed. Fortunately I do a 3 way backup on a daily basis but I am really upset because the system was not even in use. Windows 10 built in AV blows!!!!!
    That's pretty serious. And I good reminder why I have been a Linux only user since 1997, until now...

I don't do backups. Normally I try to arrange that everything I do is stashed away in github or bitbucket or whatever. The idea is that the machine I happen to be using at the time is totally disposable.

That still leaves the inconvenience of reinstalling and configuring everything when it get's trashed by hardware failure or malware or whatever.

Do you have any clues as to how this ransom ware thing happened? Presumably you are running some services that are open to the internet that can let an attacker get in if they have security holes. Of course Windows update and whatever other ways it phones home are attack vectors.

I would not trust any anti-virus software as far as I can throw it.

• erco wrote: »
    Makes me recall another sig event (an anniverary) approaching on July 20.

Yup. Witnessed the whole thing at my uncle's house in Providence, UT. He was the first employee of Space Dynamics Lab and also contributed one of the sensors that launched on Explorer 1. So he was fairly interested in the whole thing - almost as much as I was. ;)

NWCCTV wrote: »
    I am so upset with MS and Windows 10 that I am close to suing!!!! In all my years of being in the IT profession I have NEVER experienced a full blown virus on any of my servers or workstations. I have had a few hiccups along the way and some Malware here and there but never anything drastic. I upgraded my Windows 7 workstation a little over a month ago. I went in to the hospital for surgery on June 21st. I came out on June 26th and my system had restarted itself and had Ransom ware on it. Every file I had was locked and renamed. Fortunately I do a 3 way backup on a daily basis but I am really upset because the system was not even in use. Windows 10 built in AV blows!!!!!
    Someone I know has just got ransomware. He hadn't backed up his laptop for a couple of years. Most of the files were photos and videos of his little kids, plus resume and a few bits and pieces.
    Demanded money within 4 days, then it doubles. Cost him US$800 in bitcoin. The Ransomwares website apparently is quite professional (although clearly not English as their first language) making out they are doing you a service to recover your files. Took close to 24 hours to unencrypt the files. Now he is backing up in the cloud.
    User Name wrote: »
    erco wrote: »
    Makes me recall another sig event (an anniverary) approaching on July 20.

Yup. Witnessed the whole thing at my uncle's house in Providence, UT. He was the first employee of Space Dynamics Lab and also contributed one of the sensors that launched on Explorer 1. So he was fairly interested in the whole thing - almost as much as I was. ;)

Explorer 1 was cool!
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Explorer_1
    Here is a very weird Win 10 / Surface Pro / Chrome thing:

Plug in some head phones, fire up Chrome and start watching a YouTube vid. Now yank the head phone jack out then put it back again.

Result: The vid stops playing, the window gets filled with "snow" and an error message that "An error occurred"

This does not happen in Firefox or Edge.

How can it be that the JS in Chrome knows if my headphone jack is plugged in or not?
  • Audio in Win 10 is weird. My wife bought a netbook/laptop for the express purpose of recording audio. But the audio from her expensive USB mike, which had worked perfectly on two other computers, was so faint as to be inaudible. After chasing many possible solutions I downloaded a third party equalizer app -- not that she needed an equalizer -- but after installing it and touching its volume control just a little, the mike volume suddenly normalized and started responding to the usual Windows volume slider. I suspect audio in Win10 just isn't finished.

On W10 and mini pc box (RK36S) cannot get audio to run through the TV via HDMI.
    Managed to get it running once so I know it does work. Just cannot find the driver to enable it again.
    Hmmmm. My Craig tablet also lost audio after a clean install, but worked after upgrade ( keep files intact). Sounds like a more universal audio problem. I just found this: http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/windows-10-how-fix-sound-issues-after-upgrade-1513693
    BAM. Got hit by the dreaded "hang forever" update on my Surface Pro.

After ten minutes of looking at a blue screen that says "Do not restart your computer" I google it. First advice I read on some PC advice site is basically "Make sure it has really hung, wait 3 hours"

3 hours! B****r that. After the third or fourth restart it finally let me in.

BAM the second: After tweaking around with display resolution and scaling for days now I finally got an app I need to display legibly. So a write down the settings I use. Sure enough after a reboot the app's display is all mangled again, even with the same settings. Unusable.
    I guess there is some solace in the fact that after all these years audio on Windows works as badly as on Linux :)
    On my second attempt to upgrade my main desktop. First attempt (ran all night) hung up. I nervously restarted via power switch and it said "imstallation error, returned to Win 8".

Fingers crossed. My box has restarted a few times already. I'm currently using the twins' laptop and they want it back!
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    All these issues with just the small pool of us here. Imagine how many issues there are nationwide!?! Especially since for the layman they were forced into servitude, err, upgrade by Microsoft not knowing how to avoid it. I wonder how many computer repair shops are making a fortune off the misfortune of the Windows 10 upgrade end-user? :innocent:
    edited 2016-07-14 15:58
    Dang it, my installation bombed a second time loading from the ISO on DVD, will have to try a slow direct download. I get this message:

We couldn't install Windows 10
    We've set your PC back to the way it was right before you started installing Windows 10.
    0xC1900101 - 0x20017
    The installation failed in the SAFE_OS phase with an error during BOOT operation

Ha, Microsoft also has my requested doomsday countdown clock on their download site: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-10-upgrade
    edited 2016-07-14 16:10
    Just as bad is the latest update to Office 365 Business. Automically installs Skype and starts it after booting. Tried uninstalling Skype. Reportedly uninstalls, but it just won't go away.!!! Back after every reboot :( This update came out a week ago.

We use FaceTime and Viber on our iPhones and iPad to our daughter almost every night. She's in the UK now, previously in S.Korea. Works way better than Skype and seems to use less bandwidth too.

Tired of MS forcing things we don't want on me/us. Surely it would be easier to have a better product that we choose to run rather than forcing an inferior product down our throats.
  • Issues with HDMI audio are most likely with HDMI and its drivers rather than Winows. HDMI is a mess engineered with more care to protect precious encrypted content streams from pirates than to actually get those content streams to your screen and speakers. I find I have to make sure my TV is on before turning on the iCraig tablet or the iCraig won't send sound to the TV. And it doesn't work with my HDMI switch at all, even though my DVD player and ChromeCast do.
  • zappman wrote: »
    on July 11, 2016 12:35PM
    As of yesterday, my Craig tablet is now working well with Windows 10. I had previously done a clean install of Win10 but the audio stopped working. I restored to Win8 using a USB media drive I had created. Craig support was utterly useless to suggest a solution through several emails (we're on our own, guys). So yesterday I did a Win10 upgrade (instead of a clean install) and all's well.

Which leaves me with 2 desktops and a laptop to upgrade to Win10 before July 29. I'm debating whether to put Win10 on my old Acer Aspire netbook. It has XP, would need to put Win7 on it (I have an extra family pack license). I know it works from http://www.techtimes.com/articles/71296/20150723/this-old-acer-aspire-one-can-handle-windows-10-video.htm but who knows, maybe an XP machine will come in handy for something like an ER-1 robot.

Hmmmmm.....
    I have a pair of Acer Aspire One laptops (circa 2012). The first says its ready to install Windows 10. But, the 2nd needs many many Windows 7 updates, before it is ready to install Windows 10, and trying to get Windows 7 updates takes soooo long. I don't know that the updates can be downloaded and installed before July 29th.
    I have been installing Windows 7 updates for over 4 days :zombie: , on my 2nd Acer Aspire One, the one that needed the most updates. The last update I installed upgraded (???) the laptop from Windows 7 to Windows 10.

Just goes to show all you Win10 Procrastinators, its not too late.

Now, I need to get Windows 10 installed on my other Acer Aspire One laptop.
    I've tried ten times and Win10 installation keeps crashing on my main desktop. Tried ISO, tried download, and it keeps locking up on restart, reverting to Win 8.1. Same error message I shared five posts back. Frustrating!

I did all this (below) plus the file checker repair linked at end, worked just as presented. No change.

http://www.kapilarya.com/error-0xc1900101-0x20017-we-couldnt-install-windows-10
  • I got that error once and just did a clean install on a clean drive using a USB install disk. Worked fine after that.
  • abecedarianabecedarian Posts: 312
    edited 2016-07-17 01:24
    I've tried ten times and Win10 installation keeps crashing on my main desktop. Tried ISO, tried download, and it keeps locking up on restart, reverting to Win 8.1. Same error message I shared five posts back. Frustrating!

I did all this (below) plus the file checker repair linked at end, worked just as presented. No change.

http://www.kapilarya.com/error-0xc1900101-0x20017-we-couldnt-install-windows-10

SFC can't fix everything because it relies on your restore partition, if present, and SxS files and such to do its job.
    Have you tried running the "dism" command in an elevated command prompt?
    "dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /Restorehealth"
    This will connect to Windows Update and download things from there rather than your local image.
  • Hi
    I did the update to Windows10 a few days ago.
    I had windows 8.1
    Programs like Sketchup now start with a time delay of about 10 seconds.
    Whatever the printer drivers that took over from my original ones have no selection for print quality or toner save mode.
    My desktop kept rearranging itself for several days.
    After I set up the desktop about 10 times, that seems to now be stabile.
    In some ways, I feel that updating from windows 8.1 has set me back.
    I'm sure I'll get over it!
    I think the true cost of updating to Windows 10 will reveal itself after about 6 months to a year from now.
    Just my 2 cents worth.
    I procrastinate no more.

Oh boy, thought I'd put Win 10 on this big old Samsung laptop. After 12 hours it's up and running. Perhaps not so bad over a 3G modem!

Only issues so far:

1) It busted Virtual Box, that's being reinstalled as we speak.
    2) It keeps rearranging my desktop icons. What is the point of letting me move them around if it's only going to move them back again?
    3) Is it really so that I cannot add a user unless they have an email address? What ever happened to good old username and password?

OK, I got it, buried away in the small print is a means of adding a user with just a username and password. When Win 10 wakes up properly it actually does something when you hit the text, previously it did not.

Why is everything in Windows world backwards. Famously you have reverse all the default settings on installation to get what you want. When it comes to adding a user:

That is buried under "Family & other...", what has my family got to do with this?

When you hit that "Add someone else to this PC" is down the bottom of the page, under all the "family" guff.

When you hit that you get "How will this person sign in" and a big dialog box for their email address. What you actually want is at the bottom of the page in small print "I don't have this persons sign-in information"

When you hit that you get a dialogue full of Smile about using a "Microsoft Account". What you really want is "Add user without a Microsoft Account", which is, of course in small print at the bottom.

Finally, when you hit that you get prompted for the new users username and password.

Why I oh why do we have to jump through hoops all the time ?
This discussion has been closed.