Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
P1 vs. P2 Verilog — Parallax Forums

P1 vs. P2 Verilog

I just finished going through the Verilog code for P1 again. I'm still amazed that a processor as powerful as the Propeller can be described in so little code! I'm even beginning to understand the code a little better. However, now I'm wondering how complex the P2 Verilog code is? Is it still as concise as the P1 code? I am sure it's grown a lot but would an amateur like me still have a chance at understanding it like I can the P1 code? I'm looking forward to the P2 code being released!

Comments

• cgraceycgracey Posts: 14,133
    edited 2016-07-09 19:17
    It's about 10x as big.

Sometimes, I can't remember how it works and what it does.

It still breaks down to simple things, though. So, you'd have to study it a little to learn the lay of it, and then it would make sense.
  • Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,069
    David Betz wrote: »
    I just finished going through the Verilog code for P1 again. I'm still amazed that a processor as powerful as the Propeller can be described in so little code! I'm even beginning to understand the code a little better. However, now I'm wondering how complex the P2 Verilog code is? Is it still as concise as the P1 code? I am sure it's grown a lot but would an amateur like me still have a chance at understanding it like I can the P1 code? I'm looking forward to the P2 code being released!
    Totally agree. P1 is really quite easy to understand once you know a bit of Verilog.

Now, remember Chip built the P1 from gates, not Verilog. That is an extremely complex design at that level, yet he crafted it beautifully!

And yes, the P2 is way more complex. Though if you only look at the Verilog in pieces it should be easy to understand a lot of the sections. But some bits will certainly be a twister!!!

On the other hand, Quartus has things like timing and other specs that I still don't understand, although I haven't really tried.
  • Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    I have seen some P2 Verilog. A whole 4K screen full of it. Oriented portrait style rather than landscape. It was awesome . Didn't understand any of it!

• Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,069
    Heater. wrote: »
    I have seen some P2 Verilog. A whole 4K screen full of it. Oriented portrait style rather than landscape. It was awesome . Didn't understand any of it!
    I can only jealously imagine how awesome this would be :)
  • Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    It was awesome, let me tell you.

It was kind of overshadowed by the awesomeness of the ships fog horn Chip has in his "shed". Or the fact that his den is fully kitted out with Pass Labs HIFI gear. Lots of heaters! And the hundred other family/social things going on at the time. Hardly a minute to get down to talking techie stuff.