Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Elev-8 Pitch Over And Crash — Parallax Forums

Elev-8 Pitch Over And Crash

GlassKNeesGlassKNees Posts: 181
edited 2016-07-11 17:43 in Robotics
Took my (V2) Elev-8 out for some practice doing coordinated turns. Aircraft uses a brand new APM 2.6 (clone) flight controller/autopilot; motors are stock KA outrunners with the 30A ESC's that came with the kit. Props were 10". It flew fine for about six minutes - was flying in Stabilize mode. It was warm and moderately humid with a light breeze. All of a sudden the aircraft just pitched over and fell out of the sky - tried to increase throttle, but there was no time to recover (don't even know if the motors responded). I did notice an occasional twitch/wobble during the flight but attributed it to the breezes. I had full control land it was flying steady, almost in a hover about 15 feet up when it pitched over.

I was flying in a limestone quarry, so it hit on a hard surface. I had just replaced the #3 motor the day before (some FOD found between the magnets and rotor) - copter must have hit on the #3 motor as I was unable to move the spindle; iit's mount is broken, however, the boom doesn't appear to be bent at all. One other prop shattered at the hub. Only other obvious damage is the GPS mast is broken.

I have had a series of crashes over time where the aircraft would suddenly flip over and crash. This time it didn't flip - it just pitched over and fell. I had suspected either bad ESC's or motors. This time, I have no clue. A review of the dataflash logs provided no insights. So I thought I'd throw this question out to the community: Has anyone else experienced any sudden loss of control - pitch over and crash? I'm beginning to be suspicious of either the motors and/or ESCs.

My other Elev-8 has been outfitted with Tarot 4006 620KV motors which are the same as on my Tarot FY680 Pro - both aircraft fly fine - nice and stable. Both are also controlled with clone APM 2.6 controllers.

Comments

• PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2016-06-27 14:40
    I have lost two of the V2 original ESC's (yellow Heat Shrink). If you cut off the heat shrink, you can usually tell which MOSFET gave up the magic smoke.

Both failures occurred on throttle up from the ground, so no damage was done. It just rolled when the ESC blew.

Parallax sent me new ones, but I am replacing all with new ones.

• Thanks! I will check them out. I'm wondering what would cause a MOSFET failure - too much current? I wasn't pushing the motors hard - pretty much slow flying and doing some turns...
  • My new ESC's finally arrived! I started replacing the old ones - as I tried to unplug the last of the three motor connections on the last ESC, the connector came off in my hand - I suspect a bad solder joint. If that's indeed the cause, it just shows to go that it can work for awhile and then bite you in the butt later on! Since, I've already installed three of the new ESC's I am going to proceed with using the new ones.

I hope to complete the repairs tomorrow (Monday) and a new set of propellers should arrive on Tuesday. It has been windy here, so it may be awhile before I can attempt any test flights.
  • Are you using the clear coat procedure to balance your Carbon Fiber props?

I just received my Amazon props and I watched a video showing shaving down the Leading Edge of the prop. What the?
  • kwinnkwinn Posts: 8,697
    GlassKNees wrote: »
    My new ESC's finally arrived! I started replacing the old ones - as I tried to unplug the last of the three motor connections on the last ESC, the connector came off in my hand - I suspect a bad solder joint. If that's indeed the cause, it just shows to go that it can work for awhile and then bite you in the butt later on! Since, I've already installed three of the new ESC's I am going to proceed with using the new ones.

I hope to complete the repairs tomorrow (Monday) and a new set of propellers should arrive on Tuesday. It has been windy here, so it may be awhile before I can attempt any test flights.

At one point bad solder joints were probably close to 90% of the emergency service calls I dealt with. Now that most soldering is done by computer controlled ovens or wave soldering machines they are a rare thing...well except on connectors and cables.
  • Publison, I ordered nylon props, so I will sand them with real fine grit paper to balance them. I haven't balanced my carbon fiber props. I suppose I should do that, as well as balancing the motors...

I have put the chassis plates together, so the next thing is to replace the broken GPS mast, install the GPS antenna and the F.C. Hope to have it assembled and re-calibrated today.
  • I have since learned that the clear spray might not be the way to go. Any dust brought up when in ground effect could etch the clear off. A great way to unbalance your props in seconds, other that crashing. :)
  • I finally finished re-assembling my Elev-8. I had the chassis put together only to discover that I had to replace the base mount to the GPS mast as the replacement wasn't compatible with the one I had on the top chassis - for some reason they changed the pivot screw diameter. So, I had to disassemble the aircraft, remove the #1 boom in order to access the screws holding the base mount. But it's all done:

IMG_0068_zpsdkkmelzc.jpg

Here is the view from the rear (The box contains new propellers I ordered - they arrived today):

IMG_0069_zps0b6k8ori.jpg

Now, I have to hook it up to Mission Planner and go through the configurations: accel, compass, radio, ESC. Assuming that's all successful, it will be ready for a test flight as soon as the weather cooperates - it's been really windy and hot here!
  • I've completed two test flights - both successful. I flew this morning for just under six minutes under light breezy conditions, and later this afternoon when it was 96 degrees with winds gusting around 15 mph. Both times it flew well. I hope that the previous crash was due to the weak solder joint and that all new solder joints are okay. I will conduct a couple more flight tests including a waypoint mission next week.

Here's a photo of my two Elev-8's - the one in the foreground is the aircraft that I just repaired; the other is my video platform.

My%20Elev-8s_zpslkp0mhve.jpg
  • Just returned from flying - used my 3300 & 4000 mAH batteries and had an enjoyable flying experience. The motors are running smoothly and the aircraft flew well, despite the breezy conditions. I got to practice doing coordinated turns and flying the aircraft in different orientations. Whatever problem I had seems to have gone away. Now, I can use this one for training and trying out various waypoint missions while I use the other for video shoots.

BTW, I watched a video on an Elev-8 V3 build from Regina University - very impressed with the design and build changes. The experience you guys learned from the previous models shows.
  • Do you have a link to the video? I Googled and could not find it.
  • Publison wrote: »
    Do you have a link to the video? I Googled and could not find it.

I believe this is the video GlassKNees was referring to.
  • Yes, that's the one. Sorry guys - I guess I should have included the link...

By the way, I did an endurance test, hovering under light breezy conditions. Elapsed time was around 9:20 before the voltage failsafe kicked in and it landed. I need to raise the failsafe threshold as it came down pretty fast. Fortunately it landed on a grass field. This was with a 3300 mAH lipo.
  • Kyle M. wrote: »
    Publison wrote: »
    Do you have a link to the video? I Googled and could not find it.

I believe this is the video GlassKNees was referring to.
    Thanks Kyle.