Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
gsm smart watch for $12 — Parallax Forums

gsm smart watch for $12

This one's for erco. A smart watch that is a stand alone cell phone, takes pictures, and can accept a micro sd card all for a tidy sum of $12:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DZ09-Bluetooth-Smart-Watch-Phone-Mate-For-Samsung-LG-HTC-Android-Camera-SIM-/272245675713?var=&hash=item3f631b56c1:m:m_7_r1bHszw7U4O2jlIWDsA

Comments

• Order placed -- even without erco's blessing. Oh, cripes! I'm such an easy mark!

-Phil
  • MikeDYurMikeDYur Posts: 2,176
    edited 2016-06-27 12:37
    We finally caught up with Dick Tracey's technology, and on the cheap to.

EDIT: I spy a new PayPal statement.
  • BTW: It may not be the same watch but, my son-in law informed me, that you have to take the back off to recharge it.
  • TorTor Posts: 2,010
    According to one of the photos there is a USB charging port on the side of the watch (and it comes with a USB cable). MicroSD and SIM cards presumably go inside the back.
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,254
    Neat! But for no video recording, I'll only pay $8.53 for a red unit. :) Bought!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DZ09-Smart-Wrist-Watch-Bluetooth-For-iPhone-IOS-Android-Phone-Samsung-LG-Sony-/281983303569
  • OK erco got me again. Got mine in black though to match my EZChronos 430, which cost $50.
  • OK I got the $8.53 bluetooth watch just now, and I have demonstrated that it can pair with my phone, play music, and receive phone calls. I'm not sure how practical it will be but it's a lot cheaper to play with than an apple watch.
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,254
    Yup, same here. Fun for an hour or two, but ultimately will never replace my regular watch which never leaves my wrist. The last thing I need is another gizmo which requires daily charging and maintenance.
    I ordered one too (although from a different, cheaper seller), but yes I doubt that having to charge once a day can beat my "haven't changed the battery in ten years" watch. Or is it 12 now.
  • I generally take my watch off when I'm at home and it apparently has well over a day of battery life with normal use, so it would be simple to just sit it on top of my cell phone which also charges overnight. For me the main obstacle to wearing it all the time is that you can't just glance down and see the time; like the very earliest LED digital watches you have to push a button to turn on the display.
  • I got an email today from the seller:

"Respected customer, sorry to bother you. I am Cathy from eBay seller kkwvfp. We noticed the item was successfully delivered to you ..."

Okaaaay ... I haven't really received anything ... yet. And I never did get any kind of tracking number, so I don't know where "Cathy" is getting her info.

-Phil
  • kwinnkwinn Posts: 8,697
    I got an email today from the seller:

"Respected customer, sorry to bother you. I am Cathy from eBay seller kkwvfp. We noticed the item was successfully delivered to you ..."

Okaaaay ... I haven't really received anything ... yet. And I never did get any kind of tracking number, so I don't know where "Cathy" is getting her info.

-Phil

Time for a "Dear Cathy" reply!
  • Okay, 'got mine today. Um, do you guys really trust Smart_Watch.apk as as available from myuwatch.com?

-Phil
  • Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,069
    I am thinking it might make a nice prop display via Bluetooth. Always on the lookout for something interesting.

On checking eBay found two basic types, one with 128x128 and one with 240x240 LCD.
    I am finding this section hard to search for lowest price with the click bait gimic of the lowest price being a dumb watch not even mentioned in the heading just to get the lowest price ranking :(
  • DZ09 Features:

... Sleep Monitor, Sedentary Reminder

I need a watch to remind me to sit on my can and be lazy? I can do that all on my own, thanks.
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2016-07-12 22:15
    I installed a micro SD card in mine so I could take pictures with it. Here's a sample photo taken by the watch and downloaded via the USB port:
    IMG0002A.jpg

Resolution is 240x240 8-bit pixels. I don't think it's out of focus -- just too-highly compressed.

There's also a socket for a SIM card. (Not sure what that's for. Standalone cellphone?) Both sockets are under the removable battery, accessible by popping of the rear plastic cover.

The watch is definitely not waterproof, which is a shame, because it would've been handy to use while kayaking.

Still, though, for twelve bucks, it's a pretty amazing piece of technology.

-Phil
    240 x 240 - 16K
    The $10 cheapest-I-could-find version I ordered in June never arrived, so I got a refund. Maybe I'll look at this again next year.