Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Can not get Basic Stamp and USB drivers to open. — Parallax Forums

Can not get Basic Stamp and USB drivers to open.

I am running Windows 10. I installed this https://www.parallax.com/downloads/basic-stamp-editor-software-windows I installed the one for Windows 10. Plus I installed the Windows 10 drivers for USB. Every time I try to open either one it wants me to reload it when it already exists. I have tried opening as administrator, or otherwise. I can not get it to run. I had it running yesterday, and today I can't open it to run my Basic Stamps in Class. Help

Comments

• PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2016-06-25 23:07
    This can happen if you had the USB cable plugged in to the board during software installation with the board powered.

Uninstall the Basic Stamp Software and FTDI drivers.

Reinstall the Basic Stamp software without the the USB cable installed and the Basic Stamp board powered off.

When asked to install the FTDI USB software answer yes.

After the software has completely finished installing., reboot the computer, the try again.
  • I did what you said Publison, and after re-installing everything I am getting the exact same results. The basic stamp and drivers are installed on my computer. When I click on the basic stamp file, the "User Account Control" window pops up on my screen. The window says, "Do you want to allow this app to make changes to your PC?" I click yes, and it down loads. It looks like the basic stamp stuff is loading, and the drivers loading at the end. Then when I go to Downloads on my PC, then to the basic stamp program. I click, and then the "User Account Control" window pops up again--and everything is repeated when I click yes on "Do you want to allow this app to make changes to your PC?" I can click run, or run as administrator and it does the same thing. I had the basic stamp stuff working yesterday. The only thing I did different is I downloaded the USB VCP drivers from www.parallax.com/usbdrivers. I ordered a USB to Serial 9 pin connector, because my stamps in class board had the 9 pin serial and my new widows 10 computer did not have a 9 pin serial. Once I downloaded the USP VCP drivers--"without a USB cable connected", I could not find the basic stamp file and it did not work, the "User Account Control" window kept popping up. Is the USB VCP drivers crossing up with the windows 10 USB drivers? Something screwy is going on. Help.
  • I don't have any USB cable connected, and still can't get the basic stamp program to come up on my computer. When I click on the file I just get the "User Account Control" Window. The square in the middle of my screen says. "Do you want to allow this app to make changes to your PC?" My windows 10 file explorer Downloads says the file is down loaded and on my computer. BS-setup-stamp-editor-v2.5.3-(r2) When you run this it says something about having the driver files updated in it.
    edited 2016-06-26 15:56
    It is against forum policy to make duplicate posts:

http://forums.parallax.com/discussion/134682/forum-rules-and-guidelines#latest

You may have to wait a couple of days before the tech support people at Parallax see this post.

In the mean time go to control panel and delete ALL FTDI drivers, and the reinstall again without the USB cable being plugged in.

I had to delete your duplicate post. Hang in there.
  • Thank you Publison! Sorry for the duplicate post. It is driving me crazy trying to get it working.
  • I run the Basic Stamp software on Win10 without a problem. There have been some reports of problems with the new USB 3.0 ports. They have the blue plastic on the internal connector in the PC/Laptop. Normal USB 2.0 are black.
    edited 2016-06-26 16:47
    Also, are you running the installation in administrator mode. Are you administrator on the system?

EDIT: saw you were running as administrator in your first post.

• Yes, I am trying to open the Basic Stamp Editor as "Administrator". It says the file is down loaded to hard drive C user files. But when I try to open the file, the "User Account Control" box pops up. This box asks: "Do you want this app to make changes to
    Click yes or no. If you click yes, it just re-loads the Basic Stamp Editor again. Then when you try to open the file, everything repeats. If it is loaded in my hard drive, why does the "User Account Control" box pop up when I try to open the down loaded file?
  • Are you trying to open the Editor through the zip file, or Programs/Parallax Inc/Basic Stamp Editor 2.5.3?
  • I went to the Parallax web site software down load for the Basic Stamp. I clicked on this link.
    BS-Setup-Stamp-Editor-v2.5.3-(r2).exe A window popped up and ask if I wanted to save it to my computer. I saved the file. It listed in my down loads as: BS-Setup-Stamp-Editor-v2.5.3-(r2) The .exe was left off when it was saved to my files. When I tried to open the down load, a window popped up and ask if I wanted to allow this app to change things on my computer. I clicked yes. The program ran and I answered everything, to the end and clicked finish. Then when I tried to open the down loaded file--meaning run it---I get a pop up--just like the one when I first tried to open the down loaded file. The pop up again asks if I want to allow this app to make changes to my computer. If I click yes, the file runs again asking me the same questions to the finish. This process would happen forever over and over. The BS-Setup-Stamp-Editor-v2.5.3-(r2) would never run, but would again go through the loading process. In other words the program never opens but reloads as a pop up asking I want to allow this app to make changes to my computer. It is a program that never runs, but just tries to continue to reload if you answer yes to it wanting to make changes to the computer. Extremely frustrating and I don't understand why it has to be this difficult.
  • It should not be this difficult. I installed BS Editor on a Win 10 tablet two months ago with no problems.

What is the hardware platform that you are using?
  • Hardware I am using is a new HP Pavilion computer.
  • ElectrodudeElectrodude Posts: 1,621
    edited 2016-06-27 04:36
    I went to the Parallax web site software down load for the Basic Stamp. I clicked on this link.
    BS-Setup-Stamp-Editor-v2.5.3-(r2).exe A window popped up and ask if I wanted to save it to my computer. I saved the file. It listed in my down loads as: BS-Setup-Stamp-Editor-v2.5.3-(r2) The .exe was left off when it was saved to my files. When I tried to open the down load, a window popped up and ask if I wanted to allow this app to change things on my computer. I clicked yes. The program ran and I answered everything, to the end and clicked finish. Then when I tried to open the down loaded file--meaning run it---I get a pop up--just like the one when I first tried to open the down loaded file. The pop up again asks if I want to allow this app to make changes to my computer. If I click yes, the file runs again asking me the same questions to the finish. This process would happen forever over and over. The BS-Setup-Stamp-Editor-v2.5.3-(r2) would never run, but would again go through the loading process. In other words the program never opens but reloads as a pop up asking I want to allow this app to make changes to my computer. It is a program that never runs, but just tries to continue to reload if you answer yes to it wanting to make changes to the computer. Extremely frustrating and I don't understand why it has to be this difficult.

If I understand what you're saying correctly, you're just running the installer over and over again. When you download Stamp Editor, you don't download the actual Stamp Editor program - you instead download an installer program that installs Stamp Editor for you. Now that you've installed Stamp Editor by running the installer (several times, but that shouldn't matter), look in the start menu or Program Files for the actual Stamp Editor program. To save some space, you can delete the installer you downloaded once you have Stamp Editor working.
  • Electrodude, thanks for trying to help. You are correct, I can't get any further than downloading the installer program that keeps repeating. I went to the start menu and went to program files. This led me back to the installer program again. I have tried everything to get to the actual Stamp Editor program. I can't find the Stamp Editor program anywhere. Everything I try just leads me back to the installer program. I am running Windows 10 and when I hit the start start menu, the only thing relating in that menu is "file explorer". When I go to "file explorer" I am led right back to the installer. I can see no way to get to the Program Files for the Stamp Editor program.
  • Finally figured it out from Tech. Support. The Editor is in the Apps section of the Start Menu of Windows 10. I looked for 2 days for it and finally found it. Windows 10 is new to me! Thanks for everyone's help.
  • So you can not find stampw.exe anywhere on your hard drive?

Are you running an anti-virus program?
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    This was solved via email. Keith was running the installer each time and not the icon for the installed software.

I have had a few people who have been confused by the way Windows 10 refers to Apps instead of programs. Also, we're not putting the icon on the desktop. I am looking into these things now.
  • This was solved via email. Keith was running the installer each time and not the icon for the installed software.

I have had a few people who have been confused by the way Windows 10 refers to Apps instead of programs. Also, we're not putting the icon on the desktop. I am looking into these things now.

Thanks for the update Chris. I was running in circles because the program installed on 8.0, 8.1 and 10 without a flaw.

• Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2016-06-27 20:14
    Yeah, sorry, my network was down this weekend due to backups and a failed NAS drive that was being backed up and then the array being rebuilt, so I was answering tech support email from my tablet, however I don't access the forums from my mobile devices, so I didn't see this thread or I would have moved the discussion here and responded. I could tell early on what was happening since you're only prompted to make changes during setup/installation.
  • Everything has worked great once I understood where to find the Parallax app on Windows 10
  • Everything has worked great once I understood where to find the Parallax app on Windows 10
    So It is solved?