Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Connecting to computer — Parallax Forums

Connecting to computer

The last time I worked with Basic Stamp was 20011. I am wanting to start back working with micro controllers. What is the connecting cord from the computer to the Basic Stamp called? One of my computers does not have a connection--like the one with the two wing nuts. Can I use a connecting cord that has a USB connection on one end, and the big wing nut connection type on the other end? Thanks

Comments

• Which BS2 Board are you connecting to? Some had 9-pin serial inteface, later had usb connections.
  • All of my Parallax boards are old and have the 9 pin serial interface. Plus all of my software disks are old around 2004. Don't know if the software will even work with Windows 10? Wondering what I need to do to get up to speed? I am assuming I can download software that will work with Windows 10. But how can I get USB to connect to the old 9 pin serial interface on all my old boards? Thanks.
  • There is a current Stamp Editor that works with all the current Stamp models and Windows 10.

Parallax sells its own 9-pin serial to USB adapter although others may work as well. If the board you have is a BS1 with a 3-pin connector, Parallax also has an adapter for that that plugs into a 9-pin serial to USB adapter.
  • Mike, thank you. I will order one of the parallax 9-pin serial to USB adapters with connecting cord. With the Stamp Editor, I see two downloads for Windows listed, plus and additional download for Windows 10. Do I download all three?
  • Mike, thank you. I will order one of the parallax 9-pin serial to USB adapters with connecting cord. With the Stamp Editor, I see two downloads for Windows listed, plus and additional download for Windows 10. Do I download all three?

I think the ver 2.5.2RS will work for you. I recently installed on a new Toshiba Laptop with win10. The FTDI drivers that you are asked to install worked fine. Just make sur the serial to USB plug is not connected when you install the software.

Let use know how it goes.

• Thanks for the advise. Yes, I will let you know how it goes. I made a guitar tuner with frequency read out back in 2011. I have not done any micro controller stuff since 2011, so I am having to go back and re-learn. Like an old dog relearning old tricks.
  • Wait--I am confused. In the past all I did was download the Basic Stamp Software. I see in the support section there are downloads for USB Drivers. Since I will be hooking to USB instead of the serial 9 pin, do I have to download the USB Driver also? Pulison,-- I can't find ver 2.5.2RS in any of the current Parallax Basic Stamp downloads?
  • Wait--I am confused. In the past all I did was download the Basic Stamp Software. I see in the support section there are downloads for USB Drivers. Since I will be hooking to USB instead of the serial 9 pin, do I have to download the USB Driver also? Pulison,-- I can't find ver 2.5.2RS in any of the current Parallax Basic Stamp downloads?

https://www.parallax.com/downloads/basic-stamp-editor-software-windows

The zip file should contain all the new FTDI USB drivers in it. It will ask if you want to install.

• Thank you Publison, I will try to install it as soon as my USB to Serial 9 pin stuff comes in.