Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
"Hello" program from the official tutorial doesn't work — Parallax Forums

"Hello" program from the official tutorial doesn't work

a_lcva_lcv Posts: 11
edited 2016-06-15 19:15 in General Discussion
"Hello" program from the official tutorial gives me just a blank console window.

P.S. no compiler errors.

Comments

• Hello a_lcv,

Welcome to the forums. You'll need to provide more information before we can offer assistance.

To start:
    • Which language are you programming in?
    • Which software are you using?
    • What board are you programming on?
    • What is your operating system?

The more details you offer about your setup and fixes you may have already tried, the more likely someone will have an answer for you.
  • I'm programming in C using SimpleIDE on Windows8.1 . My board is Propeller ActivityBoardWX.

Hello a_lcv,

Welcome to the forums. You'll need to provide more information before we can offer assistance.

To start:
    • Which language are you programming in?
    • Which software are you using?
    • What board are you programming on?
    • What is your operating system?

The more details you offer about your setup and fixes you may have already tried, the more likely someone will have an answer for you.

• Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2016-06-15 19:46
    It's possible that your program prints out the "Hello" message before you activate the terminal screen. Try loading your program into EEPROM, go to the terminal screen, then press the reset button on the ActivityBoardWX to restart the program.

-Phil
  • Terminal stays clear anyway.
    It's possible that your program prints out the "Hello" message before you activate the terminal screen. Try loading your program into EEPROM, go to the terminal screen, then press the reset button on the ActivityBoardWX to restart the program.

-Phil

• Blink and Beep programs also do not produce output.
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2016-06-15 20:32
    I'd like you to try something for me real quick...can you please install the Propeller Tool (assuming you're running Windows O/S) from the following link and run the following code in it? You can paste it into the window and press F10 to download to RAM and run. Let me know if the P26 LED blinks.

https://www.parallax.com/downloads/propeller-tool-software-windows
    PUB Main

dira[26]~~

repeat
        !outa[26]
        waitcnt(1000000 + cnt)

• Yes it blinks.
    I'd like you to try something for me real quick...can you please install the Propeller Tool (assuming you're running Windows O/S) from the following link and run the following code in it? You can paste it into the window and press F10 to download to RAM and run. Let me know if the P26 LED blinks.

https://www.parallax.com/downloads/propeller-tool-software-windows
    PUB Main

dira[26]~~

repeat
        !outa[26]
        waitcnt(1000000 + cnt)

Okay, could you please try the same thing with the following piece of code?
    CON

_CLKMODE = XTAL1 + PLL16X
      _XINFREQ = 5_000_000

PUB Main

dira[26]~~

repeat
        !outa[26]
        waitcnt(1000000 + cnt)

• It doesnt make anything.
    Okay, could you please try the same thing with the following piece of code?
    CON

_XINFREQ = 5_000_000

PUB Main

dira[26]~~

repeat
        !outa[26]
        waitcnt(1000000 + cnt)

Are you saying the code compiles and downloads fine, but you get nothing?
    Oops, made a mistake in my example, please use this code and let me know if it blinks.
    CON

_XINFREQ = 5_000_000

PUB Main

dira[26]~~

repeat
        !outa[26]
        waitcnt(clkfreq + cnt)

• It doesn't.
    Okay, one final question. Did the board work and then stop or have the example programs you posted about never worked?
  • Yeah, they've worked previously but at some point they stopped and i can't remember what have i done.
    Okay, one final question. Did the board work and then stop or have the example programs you posted about never worked?

My test was designed to determine if there was a failure to the external clock circuitry. The first program I had you run doesn't use the external clock circuitry (or the PLL). However the last one did. SimpleIDE enables it by default as well. However since it worked before it sounds like something happened to the board that damaged either the crystal or the internal PLL of the chip.
  • Is there something that i can do with it?
    My test was designed to determine if there was a failure to the external clock circuitry. The first program I had you run doesn't use the external clock circuitry (or the PLL). However the last one did. SimpleIDE enables it by default as well. However since it worked before it sounds like something happened to the board that damaged either the crystal or the internal PLL of the chip.

Tech Support received an email related to this. Now that I know what has happened I will follow up via email with options.
  • Thanks
  • Can i use Propeller Toolkit to program my ActivityBot?
    a_lcv wrote: »
    Can i use Propeller Toolkit to program my ActivityBot?

If you're referring to the Propeller Tool software, yes, it can be used to download SPIN/PASM programs onto the Propeller chip on the Activity Board. However you cannot use it to complete the Activity Bot tutorials on the Learn website as these are written in C and require SimpleIDE. The choice of software just depends on the language you're using to program the Propeller.