Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Heater goes hard core Microsoft. - Page 4 — Parallax Forums

Heater goes hard core Microsoft.

124»

Comments

• I don't recommend buying LCD TV's for computer monitors because of the "screen door effect".

Intended use is to sit far away from TV's and up close to monitors. That being said if you can find a HD or 4K TV that visibly doesn't have a large black grid surrounding each pixel, if the price is right then go for it.
  • Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    It's all new to me. Never owned a TV in my life. I do recall when 625 line PAL, in colour, was the new thing to have!

Dr Who in hi-res colour is just not the same.

Think I have to get down to the mega-store and see what they actually have available.

• kwinnkwinn Posts: 8,697
    whicker wrote: »
    I don't recommend buying LCD TV's for computer monitors because of the "screen door effect".

Intended use is to sit far away from TV's and up close to monitors. That being said if you can find a HD or 4K TV that visibly doesn't have a large black grid surrounding each pixel, if the price is right then go for it.

Being able to sit a bit further back from the screen is one of the benefits of using the larger screen of a TV. A more distant focal point is less of a strain and much easier on the eyes.
  • kwinn wrote: »
    I don't recommend buying LCD TV's for computer monitors because of the "screen door effect".

Being able to sit a bit further back from the screen is one of the benefits of using the larger screen of a TV. A more distant focal point is less of a strain and much easier on the eyes.

Unless you're nearsighted, like me! :)
  • TorTor Posts: 2,010
    Yeah, being able to sit farther away from the monitor is *the* reason to get a big monitor, for me. If there were no downsides to be near I would be fine with a 10" monitor. But staring into a monitor just half a meter in front of me for many years had a really bad effect.
  • If TV's are that much more expensive it may be taxation to support public broadcasting, as they do in the UK. Which is a drag because my 4K TV (which is at work, and which my boss paid for without batting an eye along with the new computer I needed to drive it since my old computer was built in 2003) IS WONDERFUL. It has almost certainly paid for itself already. I know at one point I had five instances of VB6, two instances of the PropTool, LuaLoader for the ESP8266 several instances of Notepad with Lua code, the NodeMCU documentation, and VLC Media Player all open at the same time and I was able to keep track of them all easily. (I was building a system that consists of two end nodes, each consisting of an ESP01 and a QuickStart, which had to trigger a PC to play a video at certain points.) The 4K TV easily saved me two days on that job alone.
    To be sure. There is no taxation on TV in the UK. There is however a licence fee which goes to the BBC. As far as I know there is no tax burden on actually buying the hardware.

One might like to complain about the British TV license fee, but as far as I'm concerned it is the best value per pound I have ever spent. The BBC is the best TV in the world.

Contrast with say Finland. Here they scrapped the license fee five years ago and slapped everyone with a TV tax. Even if you don't have a TV. Obviously you are watching their crappy channels via the internet right?

Chip and I were discussing this monitor business. The deal is we don't want many instances of this and that open.

When you are coding you generally have a few lines of code visible, the rest of the program has to be swimming around in your brain. What we actually want is the biggest visibility to the most amount of code at once.

Like back in the day when we would print out code on that green stripped fan fold paper, step back and admire the beauty of our creations.

• Heater said: When you are coding you generally have a few lines of code visible, the rest of the program has to be swimming around in your brain.

Well I could do that when I was younger, but now my brain seems to have been deep-fried and everything struggles to connect. Having it all up on a video wall where I can reconnect with it at a glance is a big help. But then again, I'm sure I couldn't do some of the feats Chip has done like designing the P1 that way.

You know you're getting old when one of those windows is the doc you wrote for your own development system that you wrote for your own use to auto-generate VB code, and you can't always remember the syntax you designed yourself 15 years ago. 4K monitor all the way, maybe even two of them one day.
    kwinn wrote: »

Unless you're nearsighted, like me! :)

Valid point, but most folks go the other way as they get older so for them it is a big help. Having multiple windows visible is also nice.
    FYI Heater, just in case this is a problem for the surface-pro 4 as well.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/microsoft-surface-pro-3-battery-getting-patch/
    kwinn,

Thanks for thinking of me and other surface-pro 4 owners.

I don't see any battery life problem. Except of course when the thing estimates remaining charge and run time it's a bit of a lottery. But then all progress bars are like that.
  • Having been a Win10 contrarian from the beginning, I thought I'd exploit Heater's old thread to apologize. A cheap 'refurbished' Win10 machine has convinced me I was wrong. Yes, I had to throw out all the metro Smile and bring some buried controls to the fore. Yes, I disabled reporting of every kind (not because I have anything to hide but simply to reduce needless network chatter).

It bugged me that I had to waste time defeating MS assumptions and marketing (XBOX? Really??). But in the end it's a great OS and a great machine for poco dinero.