Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Old BASIC Stamp — Parallax Forums

Old BASIC Stamp

Hi
I've found an old BASIC Stamp1 It's mounted on a pin board with PP9 battery terminals and a 25pin comms cable., presumably parallel link. All latest models show 9 pin serial. I've lost the software (replaced PC 4 years ago).
Is software still available, for Windows Vista.?
The BASIC Stamp software on the Parallax site which it says is Vista compatable returns " not Vista software" when I download it!

Regards Freddxxy

Comments

• The current Stamp software will not program a BS1 via a parallel port. There's a programming adapter that will plug into a serial port or via Parallax's serial to USB adapter to a USB port. Maybe someone else can help you on the Vista issue. I use Windows XP on a Mac Mini under Parallels Desktop which runs all sorts of Windows (and Linux) on a Mac. There are other virtualizing programs like Parallels Desktop that run under Windows (to allow you to run other Windows versions than what you normally use).
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,254
    Another Vista & BS1 user? Welcome freddxxy. Can you show a photo of your board, I can't picture it. I have Vista on one computer HD and the Parallax software works fine. I could probably find a copy of the old DOS BS1 program, which I used with my original BS1, but that used a 3-pin connection to the Stamp and the old PC parallel port. If you actually have a 25 pin connector on your (homemade?) Stamp circuit, it's got to be using just 3 wires.
  • wned57wned57 Posts: 5
    edited 2016-06-08 22:24
    I have a BS1 I'm hauling out of retirement after (mumble, mumble) years and came here to get the same basic question answered. Erco brings up a good point; the transfer cable is actually only 3 wires. There are, however, USB to Parallel port adapters out there for as low as $6.00 on Amazon. I'm going to pay a bit more (around $10.00) for, hopefully, better quality, and see if I can get code to go from here to there. The BS1 was a handy little guy, as I recall, and I had a lot of fun learning about PWM, putting fake readings on an analog meter, etc. back in the day. I'll certainly keep you posted, as to what I learn. I know the Basic Stamp IDE is capable of generating BS1 code - it says so, after all. My biggest concern is with the USB driver, of course. We shall see.
    BTW - I'm using Win 8.1 on a plain vanilla PC. If you are having compatibility issues, I noticed there are several older versions of the IDE available. You should try one or two of those to see if you find one that "clicks" with your system. That's typically why they're made available.
    I'll take a look and post the pinouts, in case you want to try making your own cable from an old USB cable... what have you got to lose?
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,254
    Welcome wned57! Agreed, the BS1 is very handy and still useful for many projects. Funny that you mention PWM and fake readings on analog meters. I did just that recently to use DVM as a digital display: http://forums.parallax.com/discussion/161182/voltmeter-becomes-one-pin-led-display