Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
5200 mAh capacity Mobile Battery Pack, two for $5 at BestBuy — Parallax Forums

5200 mAh capacity Mobile Battery Pack, two for $5 at BestBuy

tonyp12tonyp12 Posts: 1,950
edited 2016-05-25 04:06 in General Discussion
Maybe a price mistake as you get bogo on the already low price of $4.99
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/insignia-mobile-battery-pack-blue/8599017.p?ref=199&loc=*7WaaTN6umc&acampID=1&siteID=.7WaaTN6umc-1gHz00rH.k14lqAZW9prXw

Power your development boards or small robot with this.

Comments

• 12:42 ET - marked as "Sold Out Online"

No "In Store Pickup"
    No "Shipping"

It looks like they went real fast as BOGO or else they realzed their mistake and best way to save face (and cut losses) was to go out of stock!!
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,250
    edited 2016-05-23 21:11
    What Rick said. Looked great otherwise!
  • tonyp12tonyp12 Posts: 1,950
    edited 2016-05-24 16:45
    I got in on-time and two are waiting for pick-up
    It does not look like a way to delete this thread.
  • Well I find it extremely illogical.
    ---
    Strange. erco Your robots are all at his place and listening to the radio, WQXR-FM as it happens.
    OK, now I can put it in my cart, but no sign of a BOGO. How to do, tonyp12?
    edited 2016-05-25 04:08
    Just change quantity to two (for the blue 5200mhA) and the Estimated Order Total remains $4.99
    Worked like a charm, tonyp12. Thanks, you da man!
  • @tonyp12,

Thanks for the update! I managed to snag two of the insignia bricks. It makes me wonder, though, if it might be possible to still get some by going to the retail locations.
  • Just got mine today, they shipped for free to my local store. Very nice little units, even if they're the in-house brand. On/off button with four little blue LEDs to indicate level of charge.
  • Hal AlbachHal Albach Posts: 747
    edited 2016-05-28 15:23
    Thanks for the heads up, tonyp12!
    Every time I went on line they were sold out but was notified that my local store would have them available today, 5/28. Headed over to the store this morning and the store had 5 left. Picked up 4 for $10.68 including sales tax. The shelf where I found 'em only listed $4.99 Limited Time. No mention of a bogo. At the register I was charged for two and got the other two free. I felt a little guilty leaving one on the shelf, so the next buyer won't be getting the bogo deal.
    Just went on line and the deal is now $9.99 each.
  • Hal Albach wrote: »
    Thanks for the heads up, tonyp12!
    Every time I went on line they were sold out but was notified that my local store would have them available today, 5/28. Headed over to the store this morning and the store had 5 left. Picked up 4 for $10.68 including sales tax. The shelf where I found 'em only listed $4.99 Limited Time. No mention of a bogo. At the register I was charged for two and got the other two free. I felt a little guilty leaving one on the shelf, so the next buyer won't be getting the bogo deal.
    Just went on line and the deal is now $9.99 each.

Just change quantity to two (for the blue 5200mhA) and the Estimated Order Total remains $9.99
    Got mine yesterday, they look good except for those oversized "wings" for 'cable management'. Just makes it bulkier. Can't complain at that price though. Tonyp12 is the new deal master!
  • I have a feeling that I may have gotten lucky when I purchased my units because at checkout the order actually rang up at the $9.99 price for each set of two, but the shelf stickers were still marked at $4.99 which the cashier had the department verify. She then reduced the price to $4.99 for two. I think the $4.99 was supposed to end last night.
    I guess the bogo thing is a hidden sale, since it only comes up at checkout (or when changing on line quantity to two or more.
    edited 2016-05-28 18:51
    as there are wings on both sides, I was thinking you could use them to hold it in place when you slide it on your robot platform.
    e.g build a vehicle around its shape.

• Hal Albach wrote: »
    I have a feeling that I may have gotten lucky when I purchased my units because at checkout the order actually rang up at the $9.99 price for each set of two, but the shelf stickers were still marked at $4.99 which the cashier had the department verify. She then reduced the price to $4.99 for two. I think the $4.99 was supposed to end last night.
    I guess the bogo thing is a hidden sale, since it only comes up at checkout (or when changing on line quantity to two or more.

Well here, it worked. I bought two of them, and they were indeed at that price. I might check on it in Manhattan. This happened in Woodside.
    ----
    erco I saw your robots buying something big at the store today.
  • I got 2 for ten bucks which is still a good deal. Just need to go pick them up from the store tomorrow.
    So these are great and cost $2.50 each. It would cost $5 to mail one. What a silly world we live in.
  • erco wrote: »
    So these are great and cost $2.50 each. It would cost $5 to mail one. What a silly world we live in.

Well yes. And the universe is not obligated to keep a straight face.

Two more today, from a Manhattan store.

Anybody crack one open yet? Seems like there's only room for two 18650 cells.

I might have to... I've already broken one of the USB connectors.
  • SeairthSeairth Posts: 2,474
    edited 2016-05-30 13:49
    Seairth wrote: »
    erco wrote: »

I might have to... I've already broken one of the USB connectors.

And there it is...

(Edit: here's a direct link to the original picture: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1T8YkCoi3IKCWMYQ6isKLdmZdB9PZr2ZLFA.)

Two 18650s connected in parallel.
    Unfortunately I can't see your pics. I get:

This content failed to load.
    Unfortunately I can't see your pics. I get:

This content failed to load.

Yeah, the original link didn't work. It turns out that sharing from google drive requires a little URL manipulation. Refresh and you should be able to see it.
  • Just in the img link still isn't working, here's an attached version (cropped and resized to ensure small file size).
    Wow, that's a bit more circuitry than I see in my Chinese cheapies, looks like a thermistor in there to check battery temps. Just curious, which USB connector failed (Micro in or full-size out) and was it a really abusive fail or did it just give out?

s-l1600.jpg
  • Hi
    has anyone tested the ACTUAL capacity of these??

Dave
    Just curious, which USB connector failed (Micro in or full-size out) and was it a really abusive fail or did it just give out?

It was the micro end. The fail was partly my fault (I had put excess latetal strain on the connector when I plugged the cable in), but it also appeared that one of the tabs had less solder than it should have. Fortunately, I was able to solder it back down and resolder the pins to the traces (which were not damaged). It's back in working order again.

tritonium wrote: »
    Hi
    has anyone tested the ACTUAL capacity of these

Good question. I always wonder if the rated capacity is the measured 5V output or simply the rated capacity of the internal 3.7V batteries.
  • SeairthSeairth Posts: 2,474
    edited 2016-05-30 13:39
    erco wrote: »
    tritonium wrote: »
    Hi
    has anyone tested the ACTUAL capacity of these

Good question. I always wonder if the rated capacity is the measured 5V output or simply the rated capacity of the internal 3.7V batteries.

Hah! Good point! And it turns out that these batteries answer that very question. On the back, there is a sticker that says:

C18650CC-1S2P
    3.7V
    5200mAh
    19.24Wh

So, it's the rated capacity at 3.7V, not 5V!

Edit: It turns out that the back of the case tells us the same thing, though you have to do some math to discover the 3.7V part.

Edit edit: To my surprise, this appears to be standard practice! One of the first USB battery packs I ever bought is a Limeade L130X (13000mAh), which is not a cheap-o brand. It turns out that its rated capacity is 13000mAh/48.1Wh. Which works out to 3.7V!