Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Notepad++ UDL (User Defined Language) or xml Style definition file for .spin — Parallax Forums

Notepad++ UDL (User Defined Language) or xml Style definition file for .spin

I started using Notepad++ for ALL other programing. I quickly got so used to the way Notepad++ highlights selections that now program spin using the PropellerIDE is hard to do.

Is anyone using Notepad++ for their programming? And if so, do you have a UDL style definition xml file handy, that you can share?

Also, Notepad++ is so powerful, it would be great if a plugin could be developed to flash the spin files to the memory chip from within Notepad++!

Any thoughts are, as always, most welcome.

Comments

• PropellerGuyPropellerGuy Posts: 33
    edited 2016-05-19 02:18
    Here's the UDL file which I wrote for my Komodo Edit plugin for Spin. I don't know whether it will work with Notepad++, though.

Edit: Never mind, I just looked at Notepad++ and you need XML.
  • Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    Notepad++ is an odd beast. Free and Open Source software, GPL and all that. Based on the free Scintilla source code editing component which works on Winows, Linux and Mac. Then they make it a Windows only program!

Is it really better than say Microsoft's Visual Studio Code https://code.visualstudio.com/ Which is also Free and Open Source but runs everywhere?

It would be very easy to make a Propeller loader plug-in for VS Code.
  • courtenscourtens Posts: 101
    edited 2016-05-19 15:36
    Here's the UDL file which I wrote for my Komodo Edit plugin for Spin.

Thank you for the upload - this gave me a good start. Here is my xml file
    edited 2016-05-19 15:35
    edited 2016-05-19 15:35
    ... will a zip work for an upload ... ?
    YES
    .xml is not accepted.
  • Hi courtens, thanks for uploading this for notepad++ but I'm having trouble getting it working.

Could you double check that the uploaded file matches what you're using? I think there might be some html escape sequences in the file that shouldn't be there.

Thanks,
    Joe
  • Notepad++ changed something not too long ago. I noticed the xml stopped working. I had to rebuild it. (sorry for the colors)
  • on my version, the colors make it almost un-useable.... :depressed:
  • Here is my UDL file for Spin in Notepad++. With less eye popping colors (imho). It's got some minor issues because of limitations of UDL, mainly and/or/not being both operators and pasm instructions, I chose to color them as operators so the pasm usage colors wrong.

Note: you need a recent version of Notepad++ that has UDL 2.1 support.