Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Cross Control Robot Chassis — Parallax Forums

Cross Control Robot Chassis

ercoerco Posts: 20,250
I had a build deadline today and lucked into a quick & easy solution. I had a differentially steered robot (2 drive motors, left/right tank drive AKA skid steer) chassis. Needed the electronics & control system to drive a different chassis with one rear drive motor and a universal steering omni-wheel up front. So now one motor does all the driving and one motor does all the steering. I didn't have time to build an interface circuit with new H-bridges, so I wired the motors as shown in the sketch below. Old motors shown in black, new motors in red, wired to the original PCB connections. Works like a champ with these concessions:

1) Now all motor drive current is supplied by one H-bridge, so care needs to be exercised not to draw too much current. Originally, there were 2 drive motors and 2 H-bridges sharing the mech & electrical load.
2) Can't drive & steer at the same time.

Just figured I'd share here in hopes it might help someone someday.
500 x 450 - 79K

Comments

• erco wrote: »
    2) Can't drive & steer at the same time.

Sounds like how I drive every day! I either go forward and back, or around in circles. Makes getting to the Post Office a real chore.

• Interesting solution... just might be helpful on one of my projects.
  • I'm guessing this works when the steering doesn't spring back to neutral, which is the common approach in R/C cars.