Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Two Propeller Communication - Page 2 — Parallax Forums

Two Propeller Communication

2»

Comments

• Publison ...

"Most, if not all, the code you wrote while working for Parallax is now under the author "Parallax Inc" in the OBEX" ... and WHY is that exactly? ... It makes any updates impossible to manage.

Sorry Beau, I just report what I found.
  • JasonDorieJasonDorie Posts: 1,930
    edited 2016-05-22 23:21
    You mentioned that you're passing data as characters between props - this is relatively wasteful, as it requires converting the numbers to / from ascii based decimal, which requires lots of divides / multiplies.

Why not just send the raw bytes and assemble them back together on the other end? Send a single byte "command", another for length, and finally your data. If both props know what the data format is, it's much faster to communicate this way.
  • msrobotsmsrobots Posts: 3,704
    edited 2016-05-22 23:52
    Publison ...

"Most, if not all, the code you wrote while working for Parallax is now under the author "Parallax Inc" in the OBEX" ... and WHY is that exactly? ... It makes any updates impossible to manage.

I do find this astonishing also, since it is a clear violation of the MIT license to remove the real author.

Interesting question, who decided to do that.

And WHY?

• PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2016-05-23 18:47
    msrobots wrote: »
    Publison ...

I do find this astonishing also, since it is a clear violation of the MIT license to remove the real author.

And WHY?

I just checked every OBEX object that Beau wrote, and Beau's name is still in the files, but every file has
    "Copyright Parallax", so Parallax must own them?

• kwinnkwinn Posts: 8,697
    Publison wrote: »
    msrobots wrote: »
    Publison ...

And WHY?

I just checked every OBEX object that Beau wrote, and Beau's name is still in the files, but every file has
    "Copyright Parallax", so Parallax must own them?

If Parallax paid Beau to write the code while he was working there it seems fair and reasonable that they own the copyright, but listing Parallax Inc. as the author might be going a bit too far. Particularly if it makes finding the code more difficult.