Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
End of MAKER Shed? — Parallax Forums

End of MAKER Shed?

ercoerco Posts: 20,250
edited 2016-04-26 17:50 in General Discussion
My spider sense is tingling. Just got an email from Maker Shed, 40% off everything. This on the heels of their blowout sale a few of us pounced on a few months ago.

http://newsletter.makermedia.com/dm?id=C878FF6DE0B28929C5611A686DAAD55C

Or maybe I'm just being oversensitive since I got this casual email from Sport Chalet last week:

Dear Loyal Customer,

Today Sport Chalet will begin the process of closing all of our stores and will stop selling merchandise online. Store closing sales will begin at the open of business today and continue over the next several weeks, offering customers the opportunity to take advantage of great sales. Our online store will stop selling merchandise on April 16th, but you may visit our website, www.SportChalet.com to find the location closest to you.

Sport Chalet gift cards, rewards certificates and store credits will be honored in Sport Chalet stores through April 29th, 2016. Customers who are unable to visit us before this date are invited to transfer gift card balances to a gift card from one of our sister stores, Eastern Mountain Sports or Bob's Stores through July 29th, 2016. To transfer your balance, please contact customer service at (888) 801-9162 and an agent will assist you.

We also ask that you pick up any equipment that had been left in one of our stores for repair no later than April 29th, 2016 and ask you to return Sport Chalet rental equipment before this date.

Thank you for your loyalty over the years. We hope to see you at our store closing sales.

Comments

• Sports Authority went bankrupt recently and is closing stores:
    http://money.cnn.com/2016/03/02/news/companies/sports-authority-bankruptcy/

Seems there's a problem for brick-and-mortar sporting goods.

Maker Media has had to restructure some recently, so they may be clearing out the shelves for more stuff:
    http://techcrunch.com/2016/01/08/burn-slower-or-vaporize/
  • AvantLink, which serves as the affiliate liaison for MakerShed, is still listing the site as active. They tend not to keep asking for affiliates if they plan to shut down. It's just bad business.

I have a feeling they are simply reorganizing around certain products and lines. I think it's part of a natural evolution. Everyone is selling "maker" supplies these days, at same or more attractive prices. When you've got the producer companies like Parallax, SparkFun, Pololu, and Adafruit also selling direct to consumers, it's hard to build a niche and make money.

A major disadvantage for MakerMedia is that they are based in the Bay Area, where a bag of popcorn requires a loan. A bijou 1 bedroom in the city is $2500-3500. Even east bay is crazy ($2000 or more for a single in Oakland??), and then you have the commute. So, with high costs all around, salaries have to be high, too. It's tough to stay competitive when everything costs so much.
  • Their store doesn't have near the stuff they did for that blowout.
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,250
    edited 2016-04-29 21:16
    Another email from Maker Shed today says now it's 50% off everything (code april50) Friday & Saturday: clearance/last chance, all sales final, no returns no exchanges.

My spider sense continues to tingle, and now I smell smoke.

I'm not an Arduino fan, but this is the best deal I saw at a quick glance: http://www.makershed.com/products/ultimate-arduino-microcontroller-pack The Make: Ultimate Arduino Microcontroller Pack, regularly $150, marked down to $44.49. Half off of that is $22.25. $5 shipping for orders over $75, so buy 3 and a bit more.

Will there be a 60% off sale next? Stay tuned.
  • GordonMcCombGordonMcComb Posts: 3,366
    edited 2016-04-29 22:30
    Wow, pretty wild. The discount does seem to be compounding: I added a Micro Drone Camera Kit, which was already on sale from 79 to 29, then applied that coupon code, and sure enough, I got 50% off of the 29 price. If I wanted it, I could get it for $14.74. Now, if I only wanted it.

I notice that MANY things have dropped out of their online catalog, like their Lolz 3D printer, which last week they sold out on. I would rather think they have removed these back ordered items to keep down the frustration level, rather than actually clearing out their inventory, rolling up the carpet, and going back to fly fishing in the Russian River (that's near Sebastopol, where O'Reilly/Make Media is HQ'ed, for those who think I'm talking about the real Russia).
  • These look pretty good, I guess, at about $1.25 each:

http://www.makershed.com/products/micro-drone-2-0-motor-set
    These look pretty good, I guess, at about $1.25 each:

http://www.makershed.com/products/micro-drone-2-0-motor-set

Order just 60 pieces for $5 shipping! :)

@xanadu: If you teach Arduino at your Robo Club/Maker Space, you might want to nab a bunch of those $22 kits.
  • I'm not finding those $22 kits. Sold out?
  • I'm not finding those $22 kits. Sold out?

He was talking about this one:

http://www.makershed.com/products/ultimate-arduino-microcontroller-pack

Apparently, the 50% off code (APRIL50) can be applied to sale items for an additional discount.
  • Thanks for the heads up : )

We have an expo this week with a nice blend of different micros - http://www.meetup.com/Seek-Robotics-Meetup/events/230692796

One spot open for a presenter, no pressure, I'll pick you up at KCRQ.

• Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,386
    edited 2016-04-30 05:04
    It's a crowded marketplace these days complicated in two particular ways. First, most any product that doesn't have real intellectual property is available on eBay with free shipping from Hong Kong. Chinese manufacturers are entirely happy with a 10% margin. The free shipping bit is a government disaster started in the 80's when USPS offered developing China a very low fixed cost to carry an ePacket within the USA. Today, this low rate persists but it's made worse by a Chinese support of their own postal system to ship at below actual cost (they support gas prices in the same way at around $2/gallon). Combine these two storms and you can get a sensor for a dollar, with free shipping.

Second - as you all know - there are lots of players between SparkFun, Parallax, Adafruit and a handful of others. It's absolutely imperative to offer something the others can't easily produce.

For these reasons you're seeing Parallax dig in for the long haul in education. There's a lot going on behind the scenes specifically for education and much of it will become visible in the coming weeks. We've been slow on hardware releases lately because so much of our energy has been put towards standards alignment, teacher's guides, Blockly, a new Learn structure, drone education, and bringing the ShieldBot with Arduino and ActivityBot up to the same level as the Boe-Bot. We know how to do this right and teachers are clearly responding.

As for MakerShed, who knows? They may have done some analysis on their inventory and determined they've got an 80/20 situation with the bulk of their inventory having very infrequent turns. And quite truthfully, it's so competitive that it takes near magic to buy and resell. Buyers must be hobbyists, educators or engineers with real training for purchasing.

Ken Gracey
  • Ken Gracey wrote: »
    Combine these two storms and you can get a sensor for a dollar, with free shipping.

I'm sure Erco can get them for 50 cents each, quantity 10, and they'll pay HIM to ship them.

While I don't have Erco's spider sense, I'm getting a bit worried about MakerShed, too. Except for a few curated items, and Make: books, they're primarily a reseller. I worry that this might reflect on the overall health of this market segment. OTOH, it could be that they're realigning their business, and/or planning to go halfsies with an existing reseller who can manage the warehouse, inventory, and fulfillment.

As an ongoing concern, they seem to be keeping a low profile. Their last tweet was a month ago; their last Facebook post a month before that. I have a friend who works (worked?) as an editor for Make: books. And now I read about layoffs within the group. Hope he's doing okay.

Glad to hear about the long haul in education, though like I've always said, my lack of educashun never hurt me none.

I checked the reviews on that Ardy kit. The main complaint is that there was no USB programming cable! A silly oversight. Sure, you and I already have a million of them, and know we can buy one at the Dollar Store. But it's a real silly thing to leave our of "the ultimate starter set". After their first complaint, the Shed should have just added one to each order for free, especially at that original price of $150. They could learn a thing of two about customer service from Parallax.
  • ...lost the shoe for lack of a nail
    ...lost the horse for lack of a shoe
    ...lots the advantage to be a disruptive force in a low margin highly competitive retail environment and saw no opportunities to pivot their strengths with the needed agility due to the lack of a horse
    mindrobots wrote: »
    ...lost the shoe for lack of a nail
    ...lost the horse for lack of a shoe
    ...lots the advantage to be a disruptive force in a low margin highly competitive retail environment and saw no opportunities to pivot their strengths with the needed agility due to the lack of a horse

... and managed to combine the two without compromising the shortcomings of either.

Maker Shed's Christmas sale is nothing but books, sigh.

Related and uplifting: One of their books is by guru Forrest Mims , who got me and many of us here started on the noble eightfold path to electronics nirvana. Forrest is still very active in the scientific community. He's one of my personal heroes. I got his email address from his website and sent him an email just to say hi and thanks for his great work. He sent a detailed personal reply within an hour! Such a neat, humble guy and he really made my year with his reply, which was definitely saved in my "Keepers" file.
  • More ominous, according to today's New York Times, the age of gadgets is nearly over.

-Phil
  • Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    Nah,

Meanwhile the Raspberry Pi "gadget" is going from strength to strength. Now with a new production line in Japan.

Parallax is doing OK as far as I can tell. And Adafruit, Sparkfun, Seed Studio.

Things have never been better for the gadget freak.

I guess 3D printers, Pebble watches, quadcopters etc are suffering extreme popularity of such things and the resulting shake down in the market.

Shame about the Pebble. They just introduced a Javascript dev environment for it. Great but no way could I justify the expense.
    That author achieved his goal of poking a hornets nest with his inflammatory statement, we're on here refuting it already. Personally, I'd never resort to such annoying, contrary tactics.

Even if is IS impossible to transmit FM using a Propeller.
  • GordonMcCombGordonMcComb Posts: 3,366
    edited 2016-12-08 23:49
    More ominous, according to today's New York Times, the age of gadgets is nearly over.

The author makes quite a lot of leaps. Examples:

* Smartwatches are solutions looking for a problem. They were dopey in Dick Tracey's time. There are some interesting uses for them, but far too specialized.

* GoPro is overpriced, not that the market segment is waning. There are still plenty of buyers of sports cameras, thanks to the Chinese.

* 3D printing is the poster-child of the glutted market. They'd be doing fine if there were the usual 2-3 major players, and the oddball here and there. Plus, most consumer models are pretty sucky; more promise than results.

I could go on, but in the end, "gadgets" are what you make them. A new and *useful* gadget is still likely to be a big seller ... until the next better thing comes along. History proves this to be the case over and over.

• Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    Yeah, it's all click bait nonsense

When I think of gadgets I think James Bond.

We have navigators and trackers and all but where is my submersible, flying car, with bullet proof shielding and an ejector seat?

Oh, and a smart watch that actually works whilst we are at it.

The age of gadgets has not even got off the ground yet.

:)
    3D printers are a great example of dead-end tech for many users. People rush out to buy them, they sorta work but not great. The less you pay the worse they are. Combine that with the fact that most people are not that great at design/creativity (although no one readily admits that) and it leaves a lot of people disenchanted. Most people don't actually need to make anything. Worse yet, most don't know what they want to make. They are lucky if they find something they like and download a design from someone else. At that point, just click and order from Ebay and you're better off.

I'll shut up now. People get mad at me when I say that "many" people aren't creative. But I've been in the creative business my whole life and seen firsthand that many "creatives" really aren't, much less the general populace.

I keep digging myself deeper.

Erco out.
  • 3D printing isn't that bad. Plan on endlessly comparing them and getting lots of divided opinions pre-purchase. Once you set it up, if you're really good at wrenching a 3D printer, understand the design process, firmware parameters, gcode, filaments, and slicer settings you can make some decent stuff providing the print goes smoothly and the hardware doesn't fail. No big deal.

People bring me really nice broken stuff all the time. That leaves little reason to buy anything :)
  • User NameUser Name Posts: 1,451
    edited 2016-12-09 14:28
    Gadgets will never go away, but it seems more difficult now to make quick money or easy money. Consumer expectations have increased...

Of course Pebble's problems weren't about poor reviews but about dependency on the good will of giant companies with financial agendas of their own.

xanadu wrote: »
    3D printing isn't that bad.

Oh, I agree, it's much better than "not bad", it's downright great in the right hands with proper expectations. I'm not saying they are bad for "us guys", just for much of the general population of non-Maker types who have never made anything before and suddenly expect to be design wizards when they purchase an entry-level $300 machine. That's a recipe for disappointment.
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2016-12-09 04:38
    * Smartwatches are solutions looking for a problem. ...
    * GoPro is overpriced, ...
    * 3D printing is the poster-child of the glutted market. ...
    I can't disagree with any of those bullet points. I bought a $19 smart watch from China. It did what it was supposed to do, but none of it was really useful. I bought a GoPro work-alike for about $60. I also have a GoPro that was gifted to me. Frankly, there's insufficient difference between them to justify GoPro's pricing. And don't get me started about the MakerBot I bought. In two words: it's junk.

Of course, it must be stated that the article did not include DIY "gadgets" like Parallax, Adafruit, and SparkFun sell. Those are tools for learning and building, not pre-built, single-purpose things.

-Phil

• I remember an article from 2004 that made a similar prediction regarding smartphones and their effect on semiconductor suppliers:

http://www.eetimes.com/document.asp?doc_id=1150792

The idea was that smartphones would be the sort of swiss army knife that would replace other gadgets, and this would cause a reduction in sales for the semiconductor manufacturers. For example - MP3 players, PNDs (GPS navigation), metronomes, tuners, voice recorders, cameras,...
  • TorTor Posts: 2,010
    edited 2016-12-09 19:11
    Well, a swiss army knife is all about compromises.. so maybe the comparision isn't so bad. I used to carry one with me at all times when travelling, until 2001. In any case, it didn't prevent me from acquiring proper screwdrivers, knifes, magnifying loupes, well, full toolkits really. The compromise can only do so much before you need something real. You may reply or post with something terse from the smartphone, and then you go to the PC to write the real message, with a real screen and a real keyboard.

As for gadgets.. Raspberry Pi production line in Japan? Didn't know that. Maybe I can get them cheaper and easier..
  • erco wrote: »
    xanadu wrote: »
    3D printing isn't that bad.

Oh, I agree, it's much better than "not bad", it's downright great in the right hands with proper expectations. I'm not saying they are bad for "us guys", just for much of the general population of non-Maker types who have never made anything before and suddenly expect to be design wizards when they purchase an entry-level $300 machine. That's a recipe for disappointment.

That was supposed to sound like sarcasm ;)