Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Elev8-FC in a 250 sized racing quad — Parallax Forums

Elev8-FC in a 250 sized racing quad

JasonDorieJasonDorie Posts: 1,930
edited 2016-04-25 04:08 in Robotics
I just finished assembling, so I haven't actually tested it outside, but it's surprisingly stable for having zero vibration damping, and I haven't balanced the props or motors yet either. This is out of the box, no PID tuning, nothing. It just flies. Also, it's using the new RemoteRX protocol support for Spektrum receivers. Since I'm using an actual satellite that needs 3.3v I tapped into the regulator to power it.

960 x 720 - 61K
960 x 720 - 75K

Comments

• Nice, no overshoot in ground effect is interesting on an FC tuned for a larger copter. The Elev-8 must be pretty snappy.

I should probably build an IMU shield and ditch the CC3D on my Flying Activity Bot.
  • Between you, Parallax, and Michael, I think the ELEV-8 FC is a winner!
  • Schweet!!
  • Don't have any comments on the quad, but I can see you're the optimistic kind -- it's almost May, Christmas tree is still up, and a stocking over the mantel for Santa!

Maybe I should try that. Never know when that surprise prezzie might appear in the middle of Summer!
  • LOL, I noticed the Christmas tree too!
  • It's pretty. Don't you judge me. ;)
  • xanadu wrote: »
    Nice, no overshoot in ground effect is interesting on an FC tuned for a larger copter. The Elev-8 must be pretty snappy.

There's actually code in the firmware that uses the readings from the accelerometer to help compensate for turbulence when you're using the auto-level modes. It also adjusts the throttle up for you as you tilt, to compensate for the full thrust not going toward lift (though both can be disabled). It makes it easier to hold a clean hover - still tough for a new pilot, but not as hard as a helicopter or a "manual" quad.

I had a chance to fly it outside today and it handles really well. It's too docile though - the default settings are for newish pilots, so all the throws and rates are pretty manageable. No expo in the radio, no adjustments of any kind, and it flies like a happy little kitten. I'll have to tweak some settings to let out the tiger. :)
  • Ah that explains it, very cool.
  • I've finally been able to throw this around a little more, and I added a new flight mode to make it easier to do tricks. Auto-manual mode switches between auto-level near the middle of the control throws and manual mode when the sticks are moved past 50% of center. The result is that it's trivial to flip and recover quickly.

Check it out:

• Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    Jason,

What's the make/model of the quad you dropped the FC into? What was the cost?
  • It's a Spedix 250 BNF, but I'm not sure they're even produced any more. It's this guy: http://www.buddyrc.com/spedix-s250-bnf-kk2-version.html

I got the one with the KK2 controller (because that controller is cheap). I desoldered the pins that was plugged into and ran wires directly from the FC to the board. The mounting holes for the KK2 are the same as the Elev8-FC. I had to tap a wire from the 3.3v reg on the FC for the satellite receiver, and the Elev8-FC now supports the RemoteRX protocol.