Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
SimpleIDE and Ubuntu 16.04 problems. — Parallax Forums

SimpleIDE and Ubuntu 16.04 problems.

After adding myself to the dialout group, I still get:
propeller-load -Dreset=dtr -I /opt/parallax/propeller-load/ -b ACTIVITYBOARD cmm/Welcome.elf -r -p /dev/ttyUSB0error: no propeller chip on port '/dev/ttyUSB0'
I did the logout thing, and when that did not improve things, I did a reboot, that also did not improve things. And yes I have my Badge board plugged into the USB0 port.

I tried PropellerIDE, that seems to find USB0, but it cannot find my external drives, what is going on? Anybody getting any better results than me?

Ray

Comments

• TorTor Posts: 2,010
    Quick check:
    ls -l /dev/ttyUSB0
    id

to verify the access bits, owner, group of ttyUSB0, and to check/verify the group of your account.
  • Not sure how to handle this, it used to be enough too just be in dialout.

Ray
    ray@raymini:~$ ls -l /dev/ttyUSB0
    crw-rw---- 1 root dialout 188, 0 Apr 25 05:39 /dev/ttyUSB0
    ray@raymini:~$ id
    uid=1000(ray) gid=1000(ray) groups=1000(ray),4(adm),20(dialout),24(cdrom),27(sudo),30(dip),46(plugdev),113(lpadmin),128(sambashare)
    ray@raymini:~$
  • Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    Can you actually access that serial port with some other program? minicom or gtkterm say.
  • Problem solved, I think.

I was using a Parallax Hackable Badge to test SimpleIDE. I thought I had the Badge turned on, but it really wasn't. Since the Badge does not have an LED, you really can not be sure if it is really on, and...

The strange part is when I tried it with PropellerIDE, it seemed to have compiled the program, nothing came up showing that there was no Propeller chip. I am really starting to lose faith in Parallax, it seems like there was a time when they had better software and hardware offerings.

Ray
  • Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    It's not clear to me how the best software in the world could tell the difference between a power off Propeller and no Propeller.

If PropellerIDE did not report a failure to program the device that would indeed be an issue.
    You could report it here: https://github.com/parallaxinc/PropellerIDE/issues

PropellerIDE is still pretty new, and it does have to support multiple platforms so we can expect some teething troubles.