Laser range finder FW update

Hi,
How can I update the FW on the laser range finder? I just got it and it has FW version 1.0 - and latest seems to be 2.0
«1

Comments

  • Welcome to the Forums!

    First you need the Propeller tool installed:

    https://www.parallax.com/downloads/propeller-tool-software-windows

    Then download the lastest Firmware:

    https://www.parallax.com/downloads/laser-range-finder-firmware

    Open the zip file and find the .eeprom file. Double click and it should open a window in the Propeller tool. At the bottom of the Object Info window, Click on Load EEPROM
    Infernal Machine
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    Joe also posted a video about the update and you can see the 4-pin header he attached so that the Prop Plug could be connected for the update. Unfortunately there is currently no video tutorial showing how to do the update, however there should be enough information in the given resources.

    Chris Savage | Engineering Tech | Main Office: (916) 624-8333 | Direct to Tech Support: (888) 997-8267 | Website | Twitter | Google+
  • I should have checked the board. I thought it had a USB connector on it. As Chis stated, You will need a Prop Plug:

    https://www.parallax.com/product/32201

    and a 4 pin header:

    https://www.parallax.com/product/451-04001

    (just break off four pins and solder to the board)
    Infernal Machine
  • Publison wrote: »
    You will need a Prop Plug:

    Parallax used to sell a "Prop Clip" which would clip onto the top of the board. As Publison pointed out a Prop Plug would work after you're added some header pins to the board.

    Other USB to serial programming boards would likely work but you might need to add a capacitor in series with the reset line. I've used a variety of inexpensive USB to serial boards to program a Propeller. If you already have a one of these type of boards we could walk you through how to use it to program the Laser Range Finder.

  • Hi,
    When I try to follow the steps I get following (via command prompt or if I double click on the eeprom file). I am able to use the USB connection to talk to board through the LRF image viewer tool though.

    Microsoft Windows [Version 6.3.9600]
    (c) 2013 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.


    C:\Program Files\DIFX\8730326CFC0D32D8>DPInst64.exe "C:\Users\Riti\Desktop\EVTRO
    N\LRF FW 2.0\LRF_OVM7690.eeprom"

    ERROR: Invalid command line parameter 'C:\Users\Riti\Desktop\EVTRON\LRF FW 2.0\L
    RF_OVM7690.eeprom'.

    C:\Program Files\DIFX\8730326CFC0D32D8\DPInst64.exe: installs and uninstalls dri
    ver packages.
    By default, the tool searches the current directory and tries to install all dri
    ver packages found.

    Usage: C:\Program Files\DIFX\8730326CFC0D32D8\DPInst64.exe [/U INF-file][/S | /Q
    ][/LM][/P][/F][/SH][/SA][/A][/PATH Path][/EL][/L LanguageID][/C][/D][/LogTitle T
    itle][/SW][/? | /h | /help]

    /U INF-file Uninstall a driver package (INF-file).
    /S | /Q Silent (Quiet) mode. Suppresses the Device Installation Wizard
    and any dialogs popped-up by the operating system.
    /LM Legacy mode. Accepts unsigned driver packages and packages with missing
    files. These packages won't install on the latest version of Windows.
    /P Prompt if the driver package to be installed is not better than the cur
    rent one.
    /F Force install if the driver package is not better than the current one.

    /SH Scans hardware for matching devices and only copies and installs those
    drivers for which a device is present. Only valid for Plug and Play drivers.
    /SA Suppress the Add/Remove Programs entry normally created for each driver
    package.
    /A Install all or none.
    /PATH Path Search for driver packages under the given path.
    /EL Enables all languages not explicitly listed in the XML file.
    /L LanguageID Tries to use the given language in all UI. Useful for l
    ocalization tests.
    /SE Suppress the EULA.
    /C Dump logging output to attached Console (Windows XP and above).
    /D Delete driver binaries on uninstall.
    /SW Suppresses the Device Installation Wizard, the operating system might s
    till pop-up user dialogs.
    /? | /h | /help Shows this help.

    C:\Program Files\DIFX\8730326CFC0D32D8>
  • evtron wrote: »
    When I try to follow the steps I get following (via command prompt or if I double click on the eeprom file). I am able to use the USB connection to talk to board through the LRF image viewer tool though.

    Which USB to serial device are you using?

    I found my LRF yesterday and. as I offered earlier, I'm willing to try to walk you through the firmware update.

    Do you have a link to the USB to serial device you're using?

  • PublisonPublison Posts: 10,582
    edited 2016-04-25 - 15:35:58
    evtron wrote: »
    Hi,
    When I try to follow the steps I get following (via command prompt or if I double click on the eeprom file). I am able to use the USB connection to talk to board through the LRF image viewer tool though.

    Microsoft Windows [Version 6.3.9600]
    (c) 2013 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.


    C:\Program Files\DIFX\8730326CFC0D32D8>DPInst64.exe "C:\Users\Riti\Desktop\EVTRO
    N\LRF FW 2.0\LRF_OVM7690.eeprom"

    ERROR: Invalid command line parameter 'C:\Users\Riti\Desktop\EVTRON\LRF FW 2.0\L
    RF_OVM7690.eeprom'.

    C:\Program Files\DIFX\8730326CFC0D32D8\DPInst64.exe: installs and uninstalls dri
    ver packages.
    By default, the tool searches the current directory and tries to install all dri
    ver packages found.

    Usage: C:\Program Files\DIFX\8730326CFC0D32D8\DPInst64.exe [/U INF-file][/S | /Q
    ][/LM][/P][/F][/SH][/SA][/A][/PATH Path][/EL][/L LanguageID][/C][/D][/LogTitle T
    itle][/SW][/? | /h | /help]

    /U INF-file Uninstall a driver package (INF-file).
    /S | /Q Silent (Quiet) mode. Suppresses the Device Installation Wizard
    and any dialogs popped-up by the operating system.
    /LM Legacy mode. Accepts unsigned driver packages and packages with missing
    files. These packages won't install on the latest version of Windows.
    /P Prompt if the driver package to be installed is not better than the cur
    rent one.
    /F Force install if the driver package is not better than the current one.

    /SH Scans hardware for matching devices and only copies and installs those
    drivers for which a device is present. Only valid for Plug and Play drivers.
    /SA Suppress the Add/Remove Programs entry normally created for each driver
    package.
    /A Install all or none.
    /PATH Path Search for driver packages under the given path.
    /EL Enables all languages not explicitly listed in the XML file.
    /L LanguageID Tries to use the given language in all UI. Useful for l
    ocalization tests.
    /SE Suppress the EULA.
    /C Dump logging output to attached Console (Windows XP and above).
    /D Delete driver binaries on uninstall.
    /SW Suppresses the Device Installation Wizard, the operating system might s
    till pop-up user dialogs.
    /? | /h | /help Shows this help.

    C:\Program Files\DIFX\8730326CFC0D32D8>

    Do you have the Propeller Tool loaded? That is they only way to load the firmware. The command line device drive loader will not work. Once you have the Propeller Tool that I referred to in post # 2, try the instructions I gave.


    Infernal Machine
  • When I try to install the tool, I dont get any thing installed it seems (no new program). I see the DIFX directory in the Program Files folder in C drive.
  • My mistake. Looks like the tool is installed but in the program files (X86) directory. It did not create any icon on the desktop so I could not find it either. I will try it now.
    Thanks a lot!
  • A lot of aftermarket USB connectors will not identify the Propeller correctly. You may need the Propeller Plug to program the device.

    Give it a shot and report back.

    Infernal Machine
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    Publison is correct. That device, as it comes cannot program the Propeller simply because it does not have the circuitry required on the DTR line to generate the reset pulse. You will need a Prop Plug to update the firmware.
    Chris Savage | Engineering Tech | Main Office: (916) 624-8333 | Direct to Tech Support: (888) 997-8267 | Website | Twitter | Google+
  • As others have mentioned, the USB to serial device you have won't work for this application.

    I also think the Prop Plug would be the easiest way to program the LFR but it's also possible to program the LRF with inexpensive USB to serial devices which include a DTR output.

    I have a several Prop Plugs (and a Prop Clip) but I also have a bunch of these USB to serial devices.

    These cheap converters require a capacitor on the DTR line when programming the Propeller. I've used these many times myself with a 0.1uF cap.

    These CP2102 boards are also available from Amazon but they cost a bit more.
  • evtron wrote: »

    Yes, that should work. You'll need a capacitor on the DTR line. Do you have a breadboard or a way to solder a cap in series?

    Do you have header pins you can add to the LRF?

  • I do have cap and soldering station and header pins. What connections do I need to make? LRF has only SOUT and SIN pins.
    Thanks a lot for your help.
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    The firmware update isn't done through the standard 4-pin header at the bottom, but rather through the 4 pads at the top.
    Chris Savage | Engineering Tech | Main Office: (916) 624-8333 | Direct to Tech Support: (888) 997-8267 | Website | Twitter | Google+
  • Infernal Machine
  • Duane DegnDuane Degn Posts: 10,002
    edited 2016-04-26 - 22:12:44
    I haven't tried this yet, but I'd connect VCC and GND from the CP2102 board to the VCC and GND on the bottom header. Since you have ground connected on the bottom of the board, you don't need to connect to the ground position at the top of the board. The pad closest to "GRAND IDEA STUDIO" is the ground pad. Next to the ground pad is the reset pad which should connect through a capactitor to the "DTR" pin on the CP2102 board.

    The third pad from the left on the top of the LRF is the RX pad. This should connect to the TXO on the CP2102 board. The final pad connects with RXI.

    After unzipping the archive, double click on "LRF_OVM7690.eeprom" and the Propeller Tool should open. Select "Load EEPROM" from the choices presented.

    As I mentioned, I haven't tried this myself yet but I will once I get the needed cap wired in series.

    Edit: I tried the above connections without success. I didn't solder any header pins to the top pads so the problem may have been a bad connection as I tried to hold pins to the pads. Let us know if you get yours to work or not. I'll investigate further if you need more help.
  • PublisonPublison Posts: 10,582
    edited 2016-04-26 - 23:46:09
    I would call /email these guys to see if they have a Prop Clip in the store.

    http://www.nextwarehouse.com/item/?2006754_g10e

    I'm also going to try tomorrow as it,s a great piece to have on hand.

    Infernal Machine
  • It seems they have 1 in stock. Grab it before it is gone!
    Infernal Machine
  • I am out travelling so not able to check. But will try this weekend for sure.
  • Team,
    It works! I now have 2.0 loaded on my LRF.
    Many thanks.

    PS: Following USB to uart works with the cap on the DTR (did not try without cap):
    http://www.amazon.com/KEDSUM®-CP2102-Module-Download-Converter/dp/B009T2ZR6W?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00
  • evtron wrote: »
    Team,
    It works! I now have 2.0 loaded on my LRF.
    Many thanks.

    Very good!

    Thanks for letting us know.

  • evtron wrote: »
    Team,
    It works! I now have 2.0 loaded on my LRF.
    Many thanks.

    PS: Following USB to uart works with the cap on the DTR (did not try without cap):
    http://www.amazon.com/KEDSUM®-CP2102-Module-Download-Converter/dp/B009T2ZR6W?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00
    Good deal!



    Infernal Machine
  • hi can someone explain to me how one connects the Prop Plug to the LFR?

    PropPlug

    VSS
    RES
    TX
    RX

    LFR

    GND
    VCC
    SOUT
    SN

    Thanks
    Squaredrone
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    We should have a video up today explaining how to do this. I will follow-up when it is posted.
    Chris Savage | Engineering Tech | Main Office: (916) 624-8333 | Direct to Tech Support: (888) 997-8267 | Website | Twitter | Google+
  • PublisonPublison Posts: 10,582
    edited 2016-06-24 - 16:55:00
    I'm sure Chris will put up a great video explaining this, but I'll inject a couple of pictures
    that get people confused.
    LaserRangefinder.jpg

    LaserRangefinder_2.jpg

    http://forums.parallax.com/discussion/download/117792/LaserRangefinder_2.jpg

    JP1 is used for I/O from the module. JP2 is the programing input. Depending on the Programming module,(PropClip, or PropPlug), you may or not need to solder a header.

    800 x 640 - 333K
    891 x 369 - 85K
    Infernal Machine
  • Thanks

    Yes I have already found this Pins. I also soldered pins there. Unfortunately, I can not connect. No Propeller chip found on Serial Port
    2592 x 1944 - 2M
  • Have you loaded the Propeller Tool:

    https://www.parallax.com/downloads/propeller-tool-software-windows

    This will have the FTDI drivers included. Install the program with the USB DISCONNECTED. When asked to install the USB driver answer YES.
    Infernal Machine
Sign In or Register to comment.