Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
$3 Million, 200 Y.O. Birdy Automaton — Parallax Forums

$3 Million, 200 Y.O. Birdy Automaton

Comments

• Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    A couple of new robots to your collection Erco. Great.

• Nice little weekend project to slap together when you have some free time.
    I would probably need to get a much smaller metal file though...

• WhitWhit Posts: 4,191
    Amazing automata! The amount of thought and craft required to do these projects boggles the mind!
  • It's not as small, or as pricey, or as cool, ... wait, where was I going with this? Anyway, this is neat too:

http://www.derekhugger.com/colibri.html
  • If we stick a ELEV8 FC on it, will it fly? (Or will it blend:) )
    @JasonDorie - great find and an amazing bargain!
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,254
    Whit wrote: »
    @JasonDorie - great find and an amazing bargain!

The $99 is for plans only, FYI. This ain't Maker Shed!

erco wrote: »
    The $99 is for plans only, FYI. This ain't Maker Shed!

Yes - I think I am the only person on the Parallax Forums that didn't cash in on the Shed sale...

• ercoerco Posts: 20,254
    I got your back, Whit, a free rubber band gun from the Shed sale. You just gotta pay postage, ~$30. :)
  • I'm semi-seriously considering getting them and trying to make that. It's really cool.
  • A wonderful piece of work, the energy to drive the birdie and muzzle door, is probably produced by the hammer and trigger, but I can't figure out how the sound is created.
  • Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    The sound is produced in the same way as the Swiss Cuckoo Clocks. A bellows blows air into a whistle. Basically a miniature church organ pipe or two. So simple. You can see the bellows in the video.

• Heater. wrote: »
    The sound is produced in the same way as the Swiss Cuckoo Clocks. A bellows blows air into a whistle. Basically a miniature church organ pipe or two. So simple. You can see the bellows in the video.

I will have to put on my glasses and watch it again, my uncle was a jeweler and watch repairer for many years, I certainly don't have the patience and ability for such a thing, simply amazing.