Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
PropBasic and QuickStart board - Page 2 — Parallax Forums

PropBasic and QuickStart board

2»

Comments

• BeanBean Posts: 8,129
    Ray,
    The Quickstart touch pads the absolute worse thing to use to try to learn a new language.
    Those things are very unreliable and very sensitive to temperature/humidity/sun spots/emotional state/ect.
    I would say learn by writing code for everything else, then try to tackle the touchpads last.

Bean
  • Bean wrote: »
    Ray,
    The Quickstart touch pads the absolute worse thing to use to try to learn a new language.
    Those things are very unreliable and very sensitive to temperature/humidity/sun spots/emotional state/ect.
    I would say learn by writing code for everything else, then try to tackle the touchpads last.

Bean

On that note; it would be cool to have a PropBASIC development/learning community thread where we agree on a common platform. I still use the demo board.
  • I would say learn by writing code for everything else, then try to tackle the touchpads last.
    For everything else, I was just plain lucky to get somebody to help me out with a driver for the touch pads. It is not like there is a large crowd ready to jump in, for doing drivers, let alone having some useful drivers available for looking at the existing code. Not sure which way to go on this one.
    On that note; it would be cool to have a PropBASIC development/learning community thread where we agree on a common platform.
    What would be your suggestion for the "common platform"? I started with the Hackable Badge, but that had no momentum. It seems like the QuickStart board is turning out to be the same. I guess maybe the Activity board, then move up to the Activity WX? The Demo board is long gone, so that is out of the question.

Maybe we should all just sit back and wait for an IDE for PropBASIC, that is current, to show up, and then see who is still around working with PropBASIC, and go from there. Not sure what else can be done to keep PropBASIC alive.

Ray
  • Rsadeika wrote: »

Maybe we should all just sit back and wait for an IDE for PropBASIC, that is current, to show up, and then see who is still around working with PropBASIC, and go from there. Not sure what else can be done to keep PropBASIC alive.

Ray

I must admit that I didn't put much thought in to the common platform thing but if I had a QS, I would've been able to play along.

I ain't sitting back waiting for an IDE. I already recommended ViewPort because it works for me and the built-in scope, logic analyzer, etc., etc. are extremely useful in my case. I provided a download link but you decided not to entertain it. You haven't even bothered to let us know if the charging delay proposals from earlier today made any difference. Starting to wonder what the motive is here; to suggest that PropBASIC is not ready for prime time?

I strongly disagree.

• So I switched gears a bit, and I thought I would try serial I/O, first things first:
    SERIN
    Serial input. Prefix baud value "T" for true mode, "N" for inverted mode.
    If SERIN times-out var is not changed. If label is not specified execution continues with the next line of code.
    If "var" is a string, characters are stored until a carrage return is received, timeout is only in effect until the first
    character is received.
    SERIN pin, baud, var {, timeoutms{, label}}
    "If SERIN times-out var is not changed.", can anybody tell me what that means?

I am trying to get an idea as to how to work with serial IO, in the program below I am setting up to have serin respond to an inVar = "test", but I get an error at compile. When I change it to inVar = "t", then it compiles without an error, but does not do what I want. I thought 'inVar VAR LONG(5)' is supposed to make inVar a string, but I guess it is doing something else, not sure what though.

I guess I will have to restrain myself from making any contrary comments, I do not want this thread to get into to the weeds.

Ray
    ' test1.pbas
    ' Feb 11, 2016
    '
    '

DEVICE P8X32A, XTAL1, PLL16X
    FREQ 80_000_000

RX_BAUD CON "T115200"
    RX_PIN CON 31
    TX_BAUD CON "T115200"
    TX_PIN CON 30

inVar VAR LONG(5)

PROGRAM Start

Start:

DO
    		SERIN RX_PIN, RX_BAUD, inVar
    		IF inVar = "t" THEN     ' Want this to work with "test"
    			SEROUT TX_PIN, TX_BAUD, "Got it!"
    		ENDIF
    	LOOP

END

' SUBs FUNCs TASKS
    '

If you set the variable to 256 then use SERIN with a timeout, if it times out the variables will still contain 256 (which is impossible to receive as a valid byte).

SERIN receives a single byte. You need to put SERIN in a subroutine and call it for each character you want to received.

Strings are stored in HUB memory.

tempStr HUB STRING(10)

VAR LONG(5) creates an array in the COG memory. This is not recommended, it is much better to create arrays in HUB memory and use RDLONG and WRLONG to access the elements.

Bean
  • I am not sure why I keep getting an 'error - invalid parameter' for 'inBuff' in IF inBuff = "test" THEN.
    It seems that I am saving the contents of RX_STR to a HUB string, and the comparison, inBuff = "test", should work, but no I get an error. I guess I need a good explanation.

I am finding this HUB vs COG variable stuff to be very confusing in terms of how to use it correctly in a line of code. The below program is probably a decent example, if you store something in a HUB variable how do you use that HUB variable in your program.

Ray
    ' test1.pbas
    ' Feb 11, 2016
    '
    '

DEVICE P8X32A, XTAL1, PLL16X
    FREQ 80_000_000

RX_BAUD CON "T115200"
    RX_PIN CON 31
    TX_BAUD CON "T115200"
    TX_PIN CON 30

inBuff HUB STRING(32)
    'inTemp VAR LONG (32)
    'inTemp VAR LONG

RX_STR SUB 1,2
    RX_BYTE FUNC 0
    TX_STR SUB 1,2
    TX_BYTE SUB 1

PROGRAM Start

Start:

DO
    		RX_STR inBuff
    		IF inBuff = "test" THEN
    			TX_STR "Got it!"
    		ENDIF 
    	LOOP

END

' SUBs FUNCs TASKS
    '
    ''''''''''''''''''''
    SUB RX_STR 
    	rsChar  VAR __param1
    	rsAddr  VAR __param3
    	rsCount VAR __param4

rsAddr = __param1
    	IF __paramcnt = 1 THEN
    		rsCount = 32
    	ELSE
    		rsCount = __param2 MIN 0
    		rsCount = rsCount MAX 32
    	ENDIF

DO WHILE rsCount > 0
    		rsChar = RX_BYTE
    		IF rsChar <> 8 THEN
    			IF rsChar <> 13 THEN
    				WRBYTE rsAddr, rsChar
    				INC rsAddr
    				DEC rsCount
    			ELSE
    				rsChar = 0
    				rsCount = 0
    			ENDIF
    		ELSE
    			IF rsCount < 32 THEN
    				DEC rsAddr
    				WRBYTE rsAddr, 0
    				INC rsCount
    			ENDIF
    		ENDIF
    	LOOP
    	WRBYTE rsAddr, 0
    ENDSUB
    ''''''''''''''''''''

''''''''''''''''''''
    FUNC RX_BYTE
    	SERIN RX_PIN, RX_BAUD, __param1
    	RETURN __param1
    ENDFUNC
    ''''''''''''''''''''

''''''''''''''''''''
    ' Use: TX_BYTE char
    ' - sub for SEROUT
    '
    SUB TX_BYTE
    	SEROUT TX_PIN, TX_BAUD, __param1
    ENDSUB
    ''''''''''''''''''''

''''''''''''''''''''
    ' Use: TX_STR string
    ' - Transmits a string
    ' - Uses TX_BYTE
    SUB TX_STR
    	tsPntr VAR __param3
    	tsChar VAR __param4
    	tsPntr = __param1
    	DO
    		RDBYTE tsPntr, tsChar
    		IF __paramcnt = 1 THEN
    			IF tsChar = 0 THEN EXIT
    		ELSE
    			IF tsChar = __param2 THEN EXIT
    		ENDIF
    		TX_BYTE tsChar
    		INC tsPntr
    	LOOP
    ENDSUB
    ''''''''''''''''''''

PropBASIC cannot compare strings. Only single characters.
    For a 4 character or less string, you can put the byte values into a long and compare it that way.
    For more than 4 characters, you'll need to make a function to do it.

Bean