Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Anybody have dimensions on Propeller Mini? — Parallax Forums

Anybody have dimensions on Propeller Mini?

I don't yet have them in hand and Parallax isn't 100% clear on the pattern layout. I am trying to get some artwork done. I'm just wondering if they are in fact .700 between rows.

Thanks!

Comments

• It plugs nicely into a standard breadboard so I guess it must use standard spacing.
  • I need to know specifically if it is 600 mil row spacing or 700 mils. On the site it says a 700 mil package but not if that is the row spacing or the module dimension.
    There is nothing in the docs that clarify and I'd like to get this board finished.
  • If it turns out to be 700 mil row spacing then Parallax should make that prominent because it's oddball.
  • I believe they made it 700 mils so people would not plug it into a Basic Stamp socket.
  • Dave HeinDave Hein Posts: 6,347
    edited 2016-01-24 13:50
    In the product description it says "You can solder the included header onto the Propeller Mini, creating a 700-mil DIP package ...". Also, if you look at the picture of the Prop Mini you'll see that the Prop Plug header is centered between the two connector rows with a gap on either side that looks like 0.1" each. So that would make the spacing (4 + 2 + 1) * 0.1 = 0.7".
  • Got it. I caught the part about the 700 mils but wanted to be certain before wasting a bunch of time. Ordinarily I would have looked at the pattern in the documentation except they didn't include it for this product.

Measure twice, submit once and all that.

Thank you :-)
  • So I received the Minis and they are in fact 700 mil DIPs but the pin 1 end hangs out and although I didn't account for it, I *just* squeaked by with the board I laid out (yeah I'm pressed for time so I sent it off blind).

Parallax really ought to make it an official policy to publish detailed dimensions on any part they sell that might involve their customers laying out PC boards around that part.

Had they done so, my task would have been MUCH easier.
  • I did as the prior post instructed and fired off an email to them (even though I no longer need it). Hopefully this will help any future users of the product.
  • The product information for the Mini has a picture that shows the pin 1 end sticking out from pin 1. It seems like all the dimensional information you needed could have been determined from the picture. One of the zip files contains an image of the layout, which also would have provided the dimensional information. I suppose that it would have been easier if Parallax provided a diagram that showed all the measurements, but it's not that hard to measure the dimensions in Windows Paint or some other graphics program.
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    Tech Support has not received an email on this, however I can confirm that the pin spacing is 0.700" as specified.
  • Dave Hein wrote: »
    The product information for the Mini has a picture that shows the pin 1 end sticking out from pin 1. It seems like all the dimensional information you needed could have been determined from the picture. One of the zip files contains an image of the layout, which also would have provided the dimensional information. I suppose that it would have been easier if Parallax provided a diagram that showed all the measurements, but it's not that hard to measure the dimensions in Windows Paint or some other graphics program.

That is not entirely the point. I'm probably about 78.4% smart enough to deduce what I needed from what was presented, but that completely fails to take into account things like revisions and other factors. It is likely of no consequence for things like wearables, but when trying to lay out a board pattern without having one in hand it is risky and a royal pain. It was a simple request, and Parallax responded professionally and promptly to my email.

In short, despite it all, I still sent in artwork that, although the pin spacing was correct, failed to account for *all* of the dimensions. Things can get a bit punchy at the end of a layout session, and there are around ~10,000 other details that must be attended to. I got lucky that it still worked. It should be noted that I never had this issue when making other patterns of other products simply because the information was readily available.

Thank you Ken, I appreciate your prompt reply :-)
  • Sorry, I didn't realize that the dimensions of the Mini had greatly changed from one revision to the next. I guess the pictures and layouts that are included in the documentation are grossly out of date.