Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
L293D Motor controller (the one from the Professional Development Board) — Parallax Forums

L293D Motor controller (the one from the Professional Development Board)

FrannyFranny Posts: 127
edited 2015-12-31 13:27 in Accessories
Howdy,
I noticed that motor controllers usually come with extra components and so I was wondering if it's safe to use the L293D just by itself kinda the way it's setup within the Parallax Professional Development Board?

Comments

• I'm thinking you are asking about the diodes that protect from inductive "kickback". The L293D includes them.
  • I have switched to the TI SN754410. Higher Peak Output Current (2000ma as opposed to 1200ma on the L293D) and broader operating temp range (-40c-85c as opposed to 0c-70c on the L293D, at least the TI versions). The SN754410 is also cheaper than the STM part. I just paid $1.65 at Mouser for mine. STM part was $5.12.

Did I mention same pinout. Drop in replacement.
  • Publison wrote: »
    I have switched to the TI SN754410. Higher Peak Output Current (2000ma as opposed to 1200ma on the L293D) and broader operating temp range (-40c-85c as opposed to 0c-70c on the L293D, at least the TI versions). The SN754410 is also cheaper than the STM part. I just paid $1.65 at Mouser for mine. STM part was $5.12.

Did I mention same pinout. Drop in replacement.

The SN754410 is better than I thought. I thought it topped out out at 1000ma. Mine do not say "TI" however.
  • I'm thinking you are asking about the diodes that protect from inductive "kickback". The L293D includes them.

So basically this chip can be used as a motor controller just by itself?
  • kwinnkwinn Posts: 8,697
    Franny wrote: »
    I'm thinking you are asking about the diodes that protect from inductive "kickback". The L293D includes them.

So basically this chip can be used as a motor controller just by itself?

Yes, as long as you stay within the voltage, current, and power ratings of the chip.
  • Thanks everybody!

PS. How do you know when to put a heat sink, what's the temp threshold?
  • kwinnkwinn Posts: 8,697
    The formal method would be by measuring or calculating the power dissipation and basing it on the power curves on the data sheets (P 12 of my sheets).

A less formal method is to run it and add a heat sink if it gets hot enough to shut down or put a blister on your finger tip.
  • Yeah, I always use the rule of thumb. If you can keep a thumb on it, it is okay.
  • The rule of thumb definitely works for me! Thanks y'all