Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
PropForth5.5 Porodomo Xmas project — Parallax Forums

PropForth5.5 Porodomo Xmas project

Inspired by heater's xmas thread, http://forums.parallax.com/discussion/163110/christmas-project-2015 I decided to actually finish a project over xmas, and post it to prove to myself that its done.

The goal was to practice programming:
- on something I already have (P8X32A Quickstart),
- has inputs (resistive button pads),
- has a display (8 LEDs)
- and uses the console (terminal window command line) for diagnostics and display.

Originally I was going to add the software real-time clock, logging to SD, and a fancy text graphic terminal display but I ran out of time. Tweaking is much more interesting that actual time management.

The Porodomo technique is about time management using a $1 tomato shaped 23 minute kitchen timer. Basically do something that can be finished in 23 minutes, take a 5 minute rest, and repeat, until the giant project is complete. Its a less flexible take on the traditional "finish next smallest chunk until the biggest chunk is finally gone", with an added "take a break in between chunks".

The Porodomo is simple enough to sketch out reasonable high level requirements quickly, and simple enough to refine them on the fly to finish in several hours across a couple days (I'm possibly slow), and provided fun practice.

If my tar.gz file attaches and uploads it contains the complete files to install on a quickstart or equivalent, using proptool or equivalent on windows XP or script and executable for debian based linux 64 bit OS (I use Linux Mint 17.2, an ubuntu derivative). I don't know about OSX, its supposed to be the same as Linux, I'll never know.

If you want to see Propforth 5.5 run on your Quickstart and see it do something that might eventually be useful for something else, here ya' go. The code is more or less clean enough for me to come back next year and figure out what's going on, but I stopped at "working"; parts might not be clear to newcomers. I can answer questions if anybody is interested.

Cheers!