Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
And I can't afford two internet sources. — Parallax Forums

And I can't afford two internet sources.

https://www.hum.com/?gclid=Cj0KEQiAm-CyBRDx65nBhcmVtbIBEiQA7zm8laNubMMX5igOueQnSW6DaN8wTzIg-GSBK38TClQk92QaAqOz8P8HAQ

In this day and age of cars being hacked, I'm not crazy about a radio hooked up to the sevice port.

Comments

• Thanks, but I get AAA and 1 year of cell service with a cheap GoPhone all for less than $15 a month. I think I'll stick with that.
  • Kind of like 'they' can reassuringly watch over your car and make sure everything is OK.
  • LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
    edited 2015-11-28 16:28
    I am rather wary of anything radio being as secure as hardwire communications, and of course the radio activity is a beacon in its own way. Why should I want might activities to be tracked. Roadside service works in L.A. and other big cities, but try to get AAA for a resident of Remote, Oregon.

Cameras are popping up everywhere in Taiwan like mushrooms. After covering the main streets, the police have gone back and installed them in all the alleys in my neighborhood. And supposed all the traffic lights are being refitted with cameras to automaticly capture and issue violations to both cars and motorcycles. It seems all the public pay phones that remain available have a video camera watching whomever uses them.

I also really wonder if the world's roadways are indeed going to be safer with a mix of driverless and driver vehicles sharing the same roads.

And one other thing, manditory embedded chips in pets to track ownership for punitive purposes seems to be another technological problem area.

In sum, if consumers aren't buying new technology, it seem like governments are going to buy and mandaite demand. Slowly I am trying to reduce my exposure to such pressures.

What's next? Required GPS for bicycles and shopping carts?
  • @Loopy,
    I remember what you have said about your water source, and I am sure you have farm's,
    Is there a country living aspect there? Or is one place as populated as another. And i'm sure your seeing less physical police presence, they have been assigned to the station to watch some of those new cameras going up over town.

_mike
    edited 2015-11-29 17:04
    Hi,
    Sure we have farms - lots of rice fields, chicken farms, duck farms, pig farms, turkey farms, even dairy farms.

Overall the west side of Taiwan is leeward side of the island and flat, so it is crowded - people wherever you go... even traffic on hiking trails. The westside is much more isolated and mountainous with lots of wind, so less people. The middle of the island is extremely mountainous with unstable rock and a few poisonous snakes (actually they are everywhere). Due to the unstable rock, the mountains remain mostly uninhabited watershed.

But this is Asia - its all crowded. Hong Kong has some of the densest population on earth in Kowloon, but a few places around Taipei are not far behind in New Taipei city. If you want to visit a crowded country, Bangladesh is the extreme. Macau seems to be #1 at 54,970 people per square mile (never been there - must go).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_sovereign_states_and_dependent_territories_by_population_density

Manila seems to be the densest city at 111,002 people per square mile.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_cities_by_population_density

End result. Taiwan pretty much is active on a 24/7 basis. I can walk my dog at any time of night and run into others walking their dog. And there are four 7/11 stores withing walking distance that are open 24/7 plus one McDonalds.... used to be more.
  • End result. Taiwan pretty much is active on a 24/7 basis. I can walk my dog at any time of night and run into others walking their dog. And there are four 7/11 stores withing walking distance that are open 24/7 plus one McDonalds.... used to be more.

You seem to seek more, when I look for less.

I like the idea of Pooh's hunded acre woods, and there is a lot of people that can afford to have that scenario here, not me. For the last thirty years a couple of acres and five miles to any retail. This has satisfied the nature element in me. Having been born and lived in a mid sized industrial city like Akron, Ohio for twenty five years.

RDL2004 wrote: »
    Thanks, but I get AAA and 1 year of cell service with a cheap GoPhone all for less than $15 a month. I think I'll stick with that.

We gave up our landline about a year ago, and haven't looked back, exept for the alarm system, don't need another bill. The house is so much quieter now, no telemarketers, no political, no wrong numbers, no nothing.
    My wife and I bought two of the same type cell phones, and I depend on it for my internet. As far as the alarm system, a loud siren and big dog work for now.

I don't know what the full scope of this phone companies product is but, if somebody needs to be called, you can save a few bucks if you do it yourself.
  • I'm satisfied in one internet sources.
    edited 2015-12-01 20:46
    MikeDYur wrote: »
    End result. Taiwan pretty much is active on a 24/7 basis. I can walk my dog at any time of night and run into others walking their dog. And there are four 7/11 stores withing walking distance that are open 24/7 plus one McDonalds.... used to be more.

You seem to seek more, when I look for less.

I like the idea of Pooh's hunded acre woods, and there is a lot of people that can afford to have that scenario here, not me. For the last thirty years a couple of acres and five miles to any retail. This has satisfied the nature element in me. Having been born and lived in a mid sized industrial city like Akron, Ohio for twenty five years.

RDL2004 wrote: »
    Thanks, but I get AAA and 1 year of cell service with a cheap GoPhone all for less than $15 a month. I think I'll stick with that.

We gave up our landline about a year ago, and haven't looked back, exept for the alarm system, don't need another bill. The house is so much quieter now, no telemarketers, no political, no wrong numbers, no nothing.
    My wife and I bought two of the same type cell phones, and I depend on it for my internet. As far as the alarm system, a loud siren and big dog work for now.

I don't know what the full scope of this phone companies product is but, if somebody needs to be called, you can save a few bucks if you do it yourself.

Before coming to Taiwan, I spent about 15 years living in the Pacific Northwest with various degrees of disconnect and isolation (and then about 10 years working major construction projects if the S.F. Bay area). In fact, that is part of the reason I am a late starter when it comes to computer technology was living in rural America. Beautiful, but not much cash.

The last place was coastal Oregon and it would get down to less that 500 people during the winter. My place was heated entirely by wood, no TV, and the newpaper for the town came out once a week. I gave up in about 1983 when I was only able to earn $25 in three months due to Regan having the prime rate bumped to 20%. I'd visit a local pub and everyone was drinking water and trying to find someone with free rolling papers so they could roll a cigarette.

Sure I get telemarketers and wrong numbers here, but I merely ask them to speak English and they hang up. Politics maybe intense, but the language barrier buffers the intensity - so does the fact that I am a guest in Taiwan. I am not really supposed to participate in the political contest.

The nice thing about Asia is I stay busy and don't feel I might starve. It is also inexpensvie to visit exotic places -- Thailand, Malaysia, Bali, Japan, China, Cambodia, Vietnam, and so on. Most people that I meet are really nice, not aggressive, and helpful.