Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Faster encoder quad decode? — Parallax Forums

Faster encoder quad decode?

The drag, is having to write the encoder count to the hub.

Is it feasible to simply toggle the decoded up/down count outputs that are hard-wired to the CTRA and CTRB of another cog and subtract B from A, or is there an alternative to this?

Comments

• Surely you are not talking about an encoder in the MHz range otherwise there is no problem writing to the hub. When you say "faster" just how fast are you expecting it to go?
  • I routinely use 1.6M quad counts/sec (6,000RPM motor with 4096 line encoder).

My current motion controller, the Galil 4183, is rated at 15M quad counts/sec.

Even MC's QEI is rated at 2.5M quad counts/sec.

• jmgjmg Posts: 15,148
    Mickster wrote: »
    Is it feasible to simply toggle the decoded up/down count outputs that are hard-wired to the CTRA and CTRB of another cog and subtract B from A, or is there an alternative to this?

The alternatives could be to
    a) Lower the bandwidth needed, eg by having the COG do a highspeed compare and then send a difference, so the HUB link does not have to follow the highest count rates.
    In most quad apps, when you hit highest MHz, you are nowhere near a control point, just in transit to the next 'way point'.
    or
    b) Use a SPLD/CPLD/Small FPGA to do the Quad - that could be Qa.Qb -> CeUP and CeDN, for your 2 Ctr value diff idea.
    In that case, you would clock out at 40 or 20MHz to clock the PLD state engine.

I think that means CeXX are 2 SysCLK wide so counters INC by 2, tho maybe those CeXX can be CLK gated.

I've not seen Tsu, Th numbers for Prop counters for CLK out to Ctr in ?
    Some of those delays could be significant.

How many channels do you need ?

c) Choose the smallest FPGA that can take one P1V COG and integrate as many Quad Counters as you need.
    This moves to multiple Vcc supplies, and smaller packages.

d) Find a small MCU with a high speed Quad Ctr.

• I think you could probably get to 2MHz count rate on a single cog, can't see any nice tricks to get beyond this,
    but with two cogs I think its possible to do better with each catching transitions on one pin.
    Each cog writes its own count and you would sample them both and sum them to get the complete count.
    Mark_T wrote: »
    I think you could probably get to 2MHz count rate on a single cog, can't see any nice tricks to get beyond this,
    but with two cogs I think its possible to do better with each catching transitions on one pin.
    Each cog writes its own count and you would sample them both and sum them to get the complete count.
    ? I can see that running two UP counters can be used to work-around the lack of Up/Down counting in P1, but I'm less clear on how one-pin decode can work, as both pins are needed to create a State-follow for counting.

• evanhevanh Posts: 15,188
    I once wrote some code to act on the invalid state based on tracking velocity, rather than latching an error for example, and it did work. But, on the grand scheme of things, doubling the max count speed wasn't much of a gain.

I tried to extend that to handle beyond the invalid state into overlapping of normal valid states but it would blow up way too easy.
  • Many thanks for the feedback (pun intended), guys.

jmg wrote: »

b) Use a SPLD/CPLD/Small FPGA to do the Quad - that could be Qa.Qb -> CeUP and CeDN, for your 2 Ctr value diff idea.
    In that case, you would clock out at 40 or 20MHz to clock the PLD state engine.

I think that means CeXX are 2 SysCLK wide so counters INC by 2, tho maybe those CeXX can be CLK gated.

I've not seen Tsu, Th numbers for Prop counters for CLK out to Ctr in ?
    Some of those delays could be significant.

How many channels do you need ?

c) Choose the smallest FPGA that can take one P1V COG and integrate as many Quad Counters as you need.
    This moves to multiple Vcc supplies, and smaller packages.

d) Find a small MCU with a high speed Quad Ctr.

Yes, I have many options for performing the actual decode in external hardware but I want to see what I can achieve with minimal external circuitry. The six encoder line-driver outputs (CHA, -CHA, CHB, -CHB, CHI, -CHI) will interface directly to the Prop via a 422 line receiver as CHA, CHB, CHI.

On reviewing my OP, I realize that its's not absolutely clear that my question was regarding the feasibility of using one cog for performing the quad decode and another cog for writing the count to the hub. This being achieved via cog-to-cog hard wiring.

I am dedicating one cog per encoder for a total of two encoders, one for motor feedback and one for load feedback.

In theory, I can already achieve 2M quad counts/sec @80MHz. I am actually very happy with this so the OP question is more of a curiosity than a requirement.

Cheers!

• jmg wrote: »
    Mark_T wrote: »
    I think you could probably get to 2MHz count rate on a single cog, can't see any nice tricks to get beyond this,
    ? I can see that running two UP counters can be used to work-around the lack of Up/Down counting in P1, but I'm less clear on how one-pin decode can work, as both pins are needed to create a State-follow for counting.

Each cog sees both pins, but only waitpeq's on one of them. After a change it reads the other pin
    to C and does a SUMC or SUMNC to update its counter and writes it.
    On reviewing my OP, I realize that its's not absolutely clear that my question was regarding the feasibility of using one cog for performing the quad decode and another cog for writing the count to the hub. This being achieved via cog-to-cog hard wiring.

Sure, you could use a COG to duplicate what a CPLD would be doing, and use 2 pins as the 'cog-cog' connection. (CEu/CEd)
    I'm not sure you buy much peak speed, (2 MHz is only 10 cycles) but you do bypass the HUB.
    Since this COG is doing only PLD work. maybe you can fit two Quad to CEu/CEd engines with modest speed impact ?

Did you look at unrolling the loop and using velocity to change how often you update the HUB ?
    ie low speed rates update HUB every edge, but above some speed (> 100kHz) you switch to (eg) 4 or 8 edge
    HUB updates.
    Mickster,
    My old code was in Basic but was just a simple state machine so will be easy enough to convert to Pasm. It might be just what you are after as it did nothing else other than present the count as an 8-bit binary output on some pins. I'll see if I can dig it up ... ha! now I remember my code wasn't a state machine, that was Hippy's. I then added what I had been up to to Hippy's original.

I've included Hippy's original plus a couple of my variants ...
  • I discussed this topic here: http://forums.parallax.com/discussion/135591/fwiw-gray-code-state-machine-truth-table-with-self-modifying-code/p1

It's a table based approach to reading an encoder. The sample code runs at about 1.6Msps and is hub aligned. You could cheat and remove the hub write to get it to 2Msps.
  • MicksterMickster Posts: 2,611
    edited 2015-11-22 14:25
    jmg wrote: »
    Did you look at unrolling the loop and using velocity to

change how often you update the HUB ?
    ie low speed rates update HUB every edge, but above some

speed (> 100kHz) you switch to (eg) 4 or 8 edge
    HUB updates.

Forgive me if I misunderstand but regardless of how
    frequently I access the hub, I cannot accept losing even a
    single count during the worst case of a 22 clock-cycle hub-
    write as this is a position control system. Velocity control
    would be a different matter.
    evanh wrote: »
    It might be just what you are after
    as it did nothing else other than present the count as an 8-bit
    binary output on some pins.

Aha! I had a similar idea. Although I need to keep track of
    absolute position at high velocity/resolution, the hub updates
    don't need to happen for every change of encoder state
    because my PID sample time is only approximately 2KHz. So
    a means of accumulating counts for a different cog to take its
    own sweet time updating the hub is what I am shooting for.

Every quad-decode routine that I have seen for the Prop,
    updates the hub for every change of state.
    pedward wrote: »
    It's a table based approach to reading an encoder. The
    sample code runs at about 1.6Msps and is hub aligned. You
    could cheat and remove the hub write to get it to 2Msps.

I have opted not to take the table based approach but,
    instead, simply "Jmp" to separate procedures based on the
    current state of the assigned (not limited to contiguous)
    inputs.

For a rough timing test, I modified the code for a worst case
    scenario of having to always test both inputs and write to the
    hub for every iteration. The result was approximately 2.5M
    iterations/sec but this is obviously an average of 7 to 22
    clock-cycle hub writes so I cannot expect to reliably capture
    2.5M quad counts/sec.

The following PropBasic source is self-explanatory.
    PROGRAM Start

Start:
    Watch Counter   ' This is for ViewPort

'Decide where to start
    If Chan_A = 1 And
        Chan_B = 1 Then
        Goto A1B1
    Endif

If Chan_A = 0 And
        Chan_B = 0 Then
        Goto A0B0
    Endif

If Chan_A = 1 And
        Chan_B = 0 Then
        Goto A1B0
    Endif

If Chan_A = 0 And
        Chan_B = 1 Then
        Goto A0B1
    Endif

'Keep hopping between these labels 

A1B1:
     If Chan_A = 0 Then
       Dec Counter
       Wrlong HubCTR,Counter
       Goto A0B1
     Elseif Chan_B = 0 Then
       Inc Counter
       Wrlong HubCTR,Counter
       Goto A1B0
     Endif
     Goto A1B1

A0B0:
     If Chan_A = 1 Then
       Dec Counter
       Wrlong HubCTR,Counter
       Goto A1B0
     Elseif Chan_B = 1 Then
       Inc Counter
       Wrlong HubCTR,Counter
       Goto A0B1
     Endif
     Goto A0B0

A1B0:
     If Chan_A = 0 Then
       Inc Counter
       Wrlong HubCTR,Counter
       Goto A0B0
     Elseif Chan_B = 1 Then
       Dec Counter
       Wrlong HubCTR,Counter
       Goto A1B1
     Endif
     Goto A1B0

A0B1:
     If Chan_A = 1 Then
       Inc Counter
       Wrlong HubCTR,Counter
       Goto A1B1
     Elseif Chan_B = 0 Then
       Dec Counter
       Wrlong HubCTR,Counter
       Goto A0B0
     Endif
     Goto A0B1
    End

Forgive me if I misunderstand but regardless of how
    frequently I access the hub, I cannot accept losing even a
    single count during the worst case of a 22 clock-cycle hub-
    write as this is a position control system. Velocity control
    would be a different matter.
    Correct, what you buy with an unrolled loop and less-often HUB writes, is higher averages.
    The down side is at very low speeds, you may want more often updates, and how to choose that 'gear change' ?
    Another pin ? HUB read adds another delay, but maybe in an unrolled loop that can be done ?
    ie Does the gear-change cost as much as you gain ?
  • pedwardpedward Posts: 1,642
    edited 2015-11-23 06:07
    EDIT: Just ignore this reply, it was irrelevant.
    ... The result was approximately 2.5M
    iterations/sec but this is obviously an average of 7 to 22
    clock-cycle hub writes so I cannot expect to reliably capture
    2.5M quad counts/sec.

There is a common enough trick of counting instructions between hub accesses to keep in sync with the hub rotation. With this you get the fastest reads and writes possible. A mere three instructions of filler for tightest timing, seven fillers for next best window, then eleven, and so on.

The trick is not to go one too many. One too few instructions is not so bad.
  • I am aware of the HCTL devices (used to be a HP product) and used the HCTL-1000 motion chip back in the 80's.

As far as interface devices go, THIS caught my eye recently.