Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
HoverFly Update Client — Parallax Forums

HoverFly Update Client

Good day everyone, I am having troubles with the "HoverFly Update Client and HoverFly Setup utility" program. They show up in my Program and features, but when I look in "File Explorer" they are no where to be had. I look in the Program Files folder and Program Files (X86) Folder. I am running Windows 8.1. Will the software run in Windows 8.1? and if not how do I arm my HoverFly Open FC? I also downloaded the Parallax-USB-Drivers-v2.10.00 and installed the drivers, but that doesn't show in the drivers of File Explorer. Could I get some help!!!! please? , help I need somebody, help just not anybody! Thank you for your time folks.

Comments

• PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2015-11-15 15:35
    Does it show up under Start>All Programs>Hoverfly Technologies, Inc. ?

If I do a search for "programs and files", it just brings up the shortcut.
    C:\Users\Jim\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Hoverfly Technologies, Inc

The program works under Win7 PRO, so it should work under 8.1.
  • When I click on >search >hoverfly update client> shows up yes. but I can't seem to get the Hoverfly Open to recognize the program when I plug it in to the USB. All I get is a purple flashing LED , and it says "not connected". Perhaps it is my USB cable. I can't even find the DIP switch on the FC. Oh by the way!, thank you for your help Publison
    edited 2015-11-15 15:55
    Flashing purple is a good sign, it's getting power.

Make sure you select HF Open, then "X" mode on the next page.
  • In you device manager, under USB serial Ports, do you see a Com for your device?
  • Yes, but in the box it is suppose to show a image of HF open and the X configuration, then when I get to connection it say "disconnected" I ordered a new USB (A) to USB Mini (B) cable. I will wait until that arrives before I continue. Something just doesn't seem right with me Publison. I took the cover off the FC to look for the DIP switch, as it said in the instruction "dip switch could be in the wrong position", now I learned the HoverFly Open does not have a dip switch. So I will continue this project later. I enjoy the challenge. Again thank you for your time I appreciate your help and advise. I'll be Bock!!! :)
  • No I don't Publison.
  • I have many USB cables that I have tossed. They are getting cheaper every day. :)

I just installed Hoverfly Update Client to my Win 8.1 HP Stream. Works flawlessly.

You may want to uninstall the FTDI drivers (USB), and the Hoverfly software, the re-install everything. I think the Hoverfly installation comes with the FTDI drivers for the HoverFly board, (although they should be the same from Parallax).
  • Morning Publison, Um not to be a dummy, but where might I find "FTDI drivers" in my computer?, I looked in the drivers folder and don't see anything that says "FTDI driver". Now the Parallax driver application file I download, I know where that is, it is in my download file. But I can't find where to uninstall the FTDI driver itself. I even looked in the De!vice manager under (Universal Serial Bus Controller. So Publison I guess my question is; When I download the driver Application where does the driver install too, what folder? Thank you!
    edited 2015-11-16 14:51
    Under Device Manager, go to Ports (COM and LPT), (with the Hoverfly plugged into the USB cable). Open the Ports, (double click). You should see something like this:FTDI_Port.jpg

Under the Driver tab, you should see the FTDI and Version Number.
    913 x 510 - 303K
  • Publison, my Device manager does not have (Ports (Com & LPT).
    834 x 621 - 62K
  • Ports will only show up when there is a connection to the device. It sound like you may have a bad USB cable, bad FTDI chip, or bad USB port. Have you tried othe ports on your computer?