Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Binding Spektrum DX7 to ELEV8- V2 — Parallax Forums

Binding Spektrum DX7 to ELEV8- V2

Good morning, I am at the point of my ELEV8-V2 build, where I need to bind my transmitter to the ELEV8. Do I have to disconnect all of the ESC's ( except one) from the power breakout cable "squid" to do this or, is it okay to leave all the ESC's plugged into the Squid while binding the transmitter to the ELEV8? I was reading a book and I thought it said "unhook all the ESC's before binding". So as this is my first build I want to make sure I am doing this correctly. Thank you for your time and advise!
TW

Comments

• PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2015-11-02 16:04
    Tom,

You will have to have at least one ESC connected to power the HoverFly board which powers the receiver. The consenescence over the years is that you can have all ECS's connected, ( I have on mine).

If you unhook all ESC's, you would have to power the receiver from some external source.

• You shouldn't need to do anything special when binding your receiver and transmitter. As Publison says, the main thing is for the receiver to be powered. The binding process is independent of the HoverFly board. The HoverFly board is just providing your receiver with power.

BTW, The binding cable just shorts the bind pin to ground. If you ever lose the little plug, you can easily make your own with a f/f jumper.

Since you have a Spektrum radio, you might be interested in these inexpensive receivers.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/171778786421?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Two receivers for $9. I just received four of these a few days ago. I haven't tried them yet but I think they'll be great in my robots. I don't think I'd trust my ELEV-8 to these receivers but for small aircraft or ground based robots, I think they'll work fine.