Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Cheap new computer — Parallax Forums

Cheap new computer

I've been wanting some kind of dinky little computer for a while. Last week there was a sale and I couldn't resist. I bought a Gigabyte Brix. It came with a 2.0 GHz quad core processor and I put 4 GB of RAM and a 120 GB SSD in it. Total cost was around $185. I'm not sure it'll do everything I want, but it might.

Brix01.jpg
1280 x 720 - 499K

Comments

• Those are cool, however I'm waiting for later this month on Black Friday to pick one up.
    Same with a decent 1440p monitor.
  • How noisy is this? I read a few reviews that said it was *very* noisy.
  • It has a fan and you can hear it. The case itself seems to want to make a slight buzzing noise in certain positions that goes away if you squeeze it a bit. Sitting flat is when it's worst. Turned vertically it's much quieter. After it's mounted to the back of the monitor I don't think I'll notice it. The disk drive mounts directly to the bottom of the lid. I can imagine if it was a regular spinning HDD that made any sound at all - well, that could be annoying.

Intel's USB 3.0 drivers are giving me a hard way to go at the moment. The Realtek Bluetooth installer included a bunch of junk besides the actual driver, which is pretty much normal for them. Surprisingly, their WiFi install was driver only, no useless bloatware.

Performance is not bad at all. Time from pushing the power button to the Windows desktop is about 18 seconds.

note that these ratings are on a scale of 1.0 to 7.9

BrixInfo2.png
    1008 x 923 - 91K
  • David BetzDavid Betz Posts: 14,511
    edited 2015-10-31 01:40
    Thanks for the info. You're right that using an SSD should reduce the noise considerably. I hadn't thought of that. You got the Celeron version but I think there are other models with AMD processors. Why did you choose the Celeron? Does it have better performance specs?

Edit: Never mind. I see that the AMD version is over $50 more expensive and also a little bigger. On the other hand, it has two SODIMM sockets so it can take up to 16gb of memory. What I like about these is that they have an mSATA slot. I have an mSATA SSD that I bought a while ago and never used. This looks like a good way to give it a home! :-)
  • Yeah, Gigabyte's Brix line is mostly Intel, and the AMD versions they sell are a lot more expensive. Down in this price range, every option is a significant chunk of the price and I didn't want to spend a lot of money. The single slot memory is a trade-off. If you need mSATA, make sure the one you get has it. This one uses regular 2.5" drives.

There's a NUC with more features, but less processor than this one, for about the same regular price, but then the Brix went on sale at Newegg as a "Shellshocker" special. I didn't think it could ever get much cheaper, so I bought it. SSDs aren't likely to go down much more in cost either.
  • The AMD box I looked at had both mSATA and accepted a regular 2.5" drive.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16856164027
  • That one looks like a great deal at 47% off. It certainly offers more features than their low end Celeron models. However, reading reviews it sounds like it may have real noise issues. AMD historically has offered high performance at low cost, but usually at the expense of being hot and loud. Maybe they've improved over the years, my last real experience with them was an Athlon 64 3400 I built in 2003.

When I first placed my order, I chose the 2807 model because it was on sale. Two days later the 1900 was a Shell Shocker Special for even lower cost, so I ordered one of those thinking I'd just send the 2807 back for refund. Now I'm tempted to open it and try it out. It's said to be fanless, but for some reason I can't find that info from any official source. The 2807 processor is slightly slower, and "only" dual core, but after seeing how quickly the 1900 runs I'd bet the 2807 would be plenty good enough as a light duty machine.
  • LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
    edited 2015-10-31 15:24
    I love the 'dinky computer' form factor, but am still a bit conflicted about it not being a modular open-architecture. So I am hanging on to my 'big box' desktop for now.

Computer production in Taiwan is flatlining and the country seems to be accepting that it will be officially in recession come Jan 1. So computer deals may just be beginning to get cheaper.

• Never understimate what a decent, cheap aftermarket fan can do to reduce noise.
    Or, toss a resistor on that fan and lower it to 9-7v, or whatever it will reliably startup at.

For a simple browsing machine, the Rpi2 seems more than adequate, cheap as chips.
    Haven't used it for any serial apps, however haven't heard of anyone having problems there.

Running a slim Diet-Pi install, with some tinkering around with TinyCore. Will have to see if there is a Libre Office for TC and check that out.
    Really just want something to stick out on the DMZ, and so far the Rpis haven't gotten Free/Net/Open BSD really solved yet. Not sure I want to stick Linux out there, unless there is some sort of SE Linux for RPi that I've missed.
    edited 2015-11-01 14:44
    Well, there is 'dinky' and somewhat open in the Cubieboard's latest. The main thing that is less than idea is no choice of video card.

www.cubieboard.org
    http://cubieboard.org/
    Try the CubieTruckPlus and look for an enclosure that will accomodate a SATA hard disk. and complete PSU.
  • RDL2004RDL2004 Posts: 2,554
    edited 2015-11-02 16:13
    These mini computers seem to be basically stripped down laptop/notebook systems. A big advantage being that you can choose the parts used, including screen and keyboard, to best suit the purpose. One thing I'd like this one to do is run Diptrace which needs DirectX 9 and means having Windows 7 available.

I looked at that CubieTruck. It's a pretty neat device, somewhat similar in price and features to the Brix 2807 model, but intended for different uses.

I checked power consumption this morning. AC adapter, plugged in but not connected to the PC, was 0.0 watts. After plugging in the Brix it was 0.9 watts. During boot it varied from 8.0 to 10.3 watts. After Windows was loaded and settled down, it idled at 5.7 to 6.0 watts. I re-ran the WEI assessment and power consumption was basically the same as during boot.

I'm going to re-install Windows because I didn't like how some of the drivers installed. I didn't bother using the enclosed driver disk. I went directly to Gigabyte's web site and downloaded what they had there, but apparently even those were not the latest available. I might see if Bluetooth drivers can be downloaded through Windows Update, if so hopefully it won't include all the useless bloatware. I'm not sure what I would need Bluetooth for anyway. I've already downloaded the latest video and USB 3.0 drivers direct from Intel.

edit: Windows 7 along with chipset, video, wireless, and USB 3.0 drivers all re-installed. No error messages from the newer USB drivers. This time during the WEI assessment power usage peaked at over 16 watts during the 3D video part. I also checked it in sleep and hibernate mode and those are 2.1 and 1.6 watts respectively.

• Just looking at newegg and found this with the Broadwell i3 : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16856167091

Not bad for $120 if you need Windows.
  • I think these are a great choice for a kid's first computer or for an older relative or just to have one in the garage or workshop. Most people will have old keyboards and monitors they're not using, if not, buying new is not that expensive. Being able to bolt the box to the back of the monitor/TV makes for a compact system.

You really have to shop around because there's a lot of options to choose between. Number and type of video and USB ports, single or dual channel RAM, processor type, and so on. Watch for the base frequency vs, burst frequency on some processors, you can guess which gets advertised. Since I only paid $99 for mine, I'm pretty happy with it. Other than the fact that I spent most of yesterday trying to get some version of Linux to install.
  • RDL2004 wrote: »
    I'm pretty happy with it. Other than the fact that I spent most of yesterday trying to get some version of Linux to install.

What distro(s) and version(s) were you having trouble with?
  • I think the problem is either with the WiFi or the USB 3.0 port.

The Debian installer locked up several times configuring dpkg and had complained before starting about the Realtek WiFi chip (not "free" software needed, I had to get a driver package first). I switched to the "live" disk and by skipping the network setup, it finally installed. Unfortunately I found the KDE desktop I had chosen to be, ah, not to my liking.

Mint generated a bunch of error messages about not being able to open one of the USB ports and complained of a bad cable or disk before starting to install and then the installer invariably locked up at some point. I finally got it to work by switching from the USB 3.0 to a USB 2 port. After I let it update, nothing could connect to the internet even though it claimed to have a good connection to the WiFi. So much for Windows Update being bad. I reinstalled it, the internet came back, and so I left it alone at that point.

The first Windows install had one minor error message using the Gigabyte provided version of the Intel USB 3.0 driver. Getting the most recent one direct from Intel fixed that.
    Debian 8.2.0 install disk   - attempts 5, succeeded 0
    Debian 8.2.0 live disk      - attempts 1, succeeded 1
    Mint 17.2    live disk      - attempts 7, succeeded 2
    Windows 7 Pro install disk  - attempts 5, succeeded 5

I think the problem is either with the WiFi or the USB 3.0 port.

The Debian installer locked up several times configuring dpkg and had complained before starting about the Realtek WiFi chip (not "free" software needed, I had to get a driver package first). I switched to the "live" disk and by skipping the network setup, it finally installed. Unfortunately I found the KDE desktop I had chosen to be, ah, not to my liking.

Mint generated a bunch of error messages about not being able to open one of the USB ports and complained of a bad cable or disk before starting to install and then the installer invariably locked up at some point. I finally got it to work by switching from the USB 3.0 to a USB 2 port. After I let it update, nothing could connect to the internet even though it claimed to have a good connection to the WiFi. So much for Windows Update being bad. I reinstalled it, the internet came back, and so I left it alone at that point.

The first Windows install had one minor error message using the Gigabyte provided version of the Intel USB 3.0 driver. Getting the most recent one direct from Intel fixed that.
    Debian 8.2.0 install disk   - attempts 5, succeeded 0
    Debian 8.2.0 live disk      - attempts 1, succeeded 1
    Mint 17.2    live disk      - attempts 7, succeeded 2
    Windows 7 Pro install disk  - attempts 5, succeeded 5

That doesn't seem too encouraging. Did you try Ubuntu or do you consider that too bloated for such a small machine?
  • Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    @koehler
    Really just want something to stick out on the DMZ, and so far the Rpis haven't gotten Free/Net/Open BSD really solved yet. Not sure I want to stick Linux out there, unless there is some sort of SE Linux for RPi that I've missed.
    Is there some insecurity in Debian/Raspbian I should know about? Plenty of such systems are being used as routers, servers, etc without any of that SE complexity.

@RDL2004
    Unfortunately I found the KDE desktop I had chosen to be, ah, not to my liking.
    How is that? I'm always curious as to why someone likes this desktop or that, in case I'm missing something :) So far I can't stand to use anything but KDE, but then I have not tried any alternatives for a couple of years.

This post coming to you from a high speed catamaran ferry in the middle of the Irish sea. Great stuff this satellite powered WIFI :)
    edited 2015-11-03 16:01
    Well, your experience of having to use Debian LiveCD seems to agree with my recent experiences installing Debian 8.0. At first, I did it all from a set of install disks, but reinstalling seemed to fail to accept the install disks (same disks) and I went over to LiveCD which worked fine.

I just presumed it was a damaged install disk, but now I am not so sure.

Desktops can be changed after installation by downloading another desktop configuration and you can even switch between several or have one user use one and another user use a different one. I think the only problem is that this may build up some clutter in hidden files in the /home/<user> directory
  • I used Ubuntu years ago, but then they switched to the Unity interface and I just never liked Unity much.

The first time the KDE desktop appeared when Debian finally started, all the icons and the clock on the taskbar were light gray on an even lighter gray background. It was all but invisible. Yeah, that's fixable I guess, but why? Was it too difficult to make it legible to start with? What is Konquerer for? Some universal replacement for...everything? I dunno. It think deserves another chance though.

Mint, this new version, is better than what I was using before but still far from perfect. At least it was easier to get rid of most of that ugly slime green color they're so fond of. The user interface still needs work. I probably only find it tolerable because I've been using the previous version for the last year.

I don't understand why the people that design this interface stuff often seem unable present things clearly. You would think it was at least slightly important. Which is not just a Linux thing at all, Windows is full of stupid, confusing stuff.

I need to get a bunch of cheap flash drives so I can play around with this stuff more, running from DVDs is aggravatingly slow, not to mention archaic.
    I used Ubuntu years ago, but then they switched to the Unity interface and I just never liked Unity much.
    I don't like Unity either but I guess I've gotten used to it since my company uses Ubuntu and I'm pretty much stuck with it. I haven't really had any trouble with Ubuntu so I haven't had much incentive to switch even for my personal Linux use. Easier to just use the same distro that I use for work.

• DavidZemonDavidZemon Posts: 2,973
    edited 2015-11-03 18:10
    I don't like Unity either. UbuntuGNOME fixed that problem though.

Another idea would be Kubuntu to give you Ubuntu stability with the KDE desktop right out of the box.
    I think the problem is either with the WiFi or the USB 3.0 port.

Somewhere this morning (early) I was reading some reviews and there were complaints about eh USB3 not being properly recognized or available at boot time. I think the solution was to go into BIOS and set ports as USB2, install OS and then back to BIOS to reset to USB3.
    Might be worth a shot.

• Heater. wrote: »
    @koehler
    Is there some insecurity in Debian/Raspbian I should know about? Plenty of such systems are being used as routers, servers, etc without any of that SE complexity.

This post coming to you from a high speed catamaran ferry in the middle of the Irish sea. Great stuff this satellite powered WIFI :)

Heater, probably not. However recently read about some giant Linux bot-net somewhere being used to DDOS sites at 150Gb....Xor DDoS botnet . I guess these are hosts which did not "PermitRootLogin no" ?

• That's probably why I got Mint to install by switching the DVD drive to USB 2, though for whatever reason Debian had no problems with the USB 3.0. Debian just didn't have a driver for the Realtek WiFi chip. Once I figured out to skip the network setup part of the install, Debian was fine. Whenever I tried giving it the driver package during install, it would always lock up later in the process.

Right now, it's playing a movie streaming at full 1080p over the WiFi from my Windows Home Server while drawing less than 12 watts. I noticed one time when it dragged a bit, but no problems other than that. It's quite a peppy little machine actually.

• I was wondering, if you decide to try another OS, if you would consider giving xubuntu 15.10 a try? I just installed it on a tower box that I pulled out of storage, but would like to know if xubuntu 15.10 would run on one of those little boxes? I am thinking of getting one, but I am waiting for the processor GHz to get up too, maybe 3 or 3.2, and I am not talking about turbo speed.

I have used Linux Mint, but I personally feel, xubuntu is a better fit. I am starting to like xubuntu better than kubuntu.

Ray
  • If you think you really need 3 GHz, you can get them now, they're just more expensive. You'll get more than just speed along with the better processor though, dual slots for RAM, more USB ports, better video, etc.

I can certainly load up xubuntu, but I have a hard time imagining any Linux not running fine on this machine. Once you get past any installation hassles that is.

Okay, I'm shocked. I just looked at the WEI score on the 3.0 GHz Core2Duo I'm using right now (which I built it 2008 as a gaming machine), and this little Brix outscores it in all but one category!!!

C2D_WEI.png

Okay, neither the video card or RAM are what the C2D had originally, but still...
    800 x 979 - 83K
  • RDL2004RDL2004 Posts: 2,554
    edited 2015-11-03 22:35
    Xubuntu was no problem at all. I installed it alongside Mint and Win 7 and it runs very snappy. You could probably get by with the cheaper 2807 model. It looked like it used the same install program as Mint, which sometimes glitched and did not enable the continue button without hitting back once. When it finishes the screen goes black and makes you wonder what's going on. You have to press a key to bring the screen back. Still works in the end though.

Whatever desktop it uses looks fine. Good default colors and easy to see and read text. The file system browser didn't see my network though. Only thing there was an icon for "Windows Network". Clicking it gave nothing but an error message: "Failed to retrieve share list from server. No such file or directory." Mint was able to see every machine on the network right off. Firefox connected to the internet with no problems. For some reason on all these Linux systems, the web browsers seem to always have a bit of delay when connecting.
  • Thanks Rick, my system also comes up with "Failed to retrieve share list from server. No such file or directory." My Raspberry Pi does the same thing, it is becoming very annoying. I might have to give Mint another try, only because it can see everything on my network, I hope.

I am still keeping an eye on the Brix with the AMD processor, where Newegg is selling for $159.00, but I am very wary about the processor speed.

Ray
  • David BetzDavid Betz Posts: 14,511
    edited 2015-11-03 23:07
    Rsadeika wrote: »
    I am still keeping an eye on the Brix with the AMD processor, where Newegg is selling for $159.00, but I am very wary about the processor speed.

Ray
    That looked really good to me too until I realized that I can't find the mSATA SSD I bought a while back and never used. :-(

• The Kingston V300 120 GB sata SSDs were $41.25 today on Newegg (you had to buy 4 though, hehe).

I'm sure the "Failed to retrieve share list from server." error is just some service or something that's not set right by default on xubuntu but is on Mint. If one can work right, so can the other.