Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
$256 Sparkfun gift card for sale — Parallax Forums

$256 Sparkfun gift card for sale

DavidZemonDavidZemon Posts: 2,973
edited 2016-05-03 01:57 in General Discussion
I was paid for a side job via SparkFun gift card, but after perusing around, they don't have anything I really want. Will anyone give me $225 $200 ANYTHING for it? Google Wallet & PayPal acceptable.

Comments

• I've posted this on Craigslist, Facebook and now here. And not a single bite anywhere. Is 225 too much to ask, or am I missing something else? Surely there are people around who spend lots of money on Sparkfun...

Dropping price to $200
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,254
    Surely someone will bite at $200! Just wait it out, no need to go any lower.
  • Much appreciated!
  • DavidZemonDavidZemon Posts: 2,973
    edited 2015-10-28 01:00
    I would also be willing to do a "group buy" sort of thing. I'd be happy to buy $256 worth of stuff for folks and ship it direct to their address. When it arrives at your address, send money my way via PayPal or Google wallet for price+shipping-10%. This puts all of the risk at my end instead of yours, which I'm fine with.

I will only go ahead with this if I get requests for at least $128.

On a second read, I think the above might be a bit confusing.
    Say Erco, Billy, Bob, Joe and Fred each want $25 worth of stuff. They send me part numbers, quantities, and shipping addresses. Let's also assume shipping comes out to $5 each, so their total is $30 each (or $150 total). At that point, I'll buy everything with my gift card in five separate orders and get them sent on their way. When each of the five packages arrive, the recipients will send me $27 ($30 - 10%).

If Fred didn't join in on the group buy, then the total is only $120, which is less than half and deemed too risky. Less than half, and it's a no go.
  • Buy something or some stuff from Sparkfun and resell on ebay for 20% off. You can sell anything on eBay.
  • RDL2004 wrote: »
    Buy something or some stuff from Sparkfun and resell on ebay for 20% off. You can sell anything on eBay.

I'd rather buy a bunch of Arduino electronics kits and donate them to my local Coder Dojo organization. Reselling on eBay would be way too much work for this lazy bum.
    David: Did you ever sell this? Surely someone needs a last-minute deal on a gift card for their tech-savvy kid. Except me.
  • Believe it or not, I still have this stupid thing. I'm going on a honeymoon soon and want to buy a new lens for my camera. I'd love to offload this gift card and put it towards a lens. Someone make me an offer!
    You said you got the card from someone as payment for a side job. I'm starting to wonder how long THAT guy had it!

Is there a Sparkfun forum you can advertise the card on?
  • erco wrote: »
    You said you got the card from someone as payment for a side job. I'm starting to wonder how long THAT guy had it!

This had me laughing out loud!
    erco wrote: »
    Is there a Sparkfun forum you can advertise the card on?

Tried once at the same time that i started this post. No response.
  • Buck RogersBuck Rogers Posts: 2,161
    edited 2016-05-03 03:09
    DavidZemon wrote: »
    I was paid for a side job via SparkFun gift card, but after perusing around, they don't have anything I really want. Will anyone give me $225 $200 ANYTHING for it? Google Wallet & PayPal acceptable.

David,
    Please define anything. I don't want to offer you a lowball price, and discover that I've insulted both your sensibilities and your pride, especially that, since it travels in groups of five and increases exponentially. Oh and if you do want such a price, PM me please with contact details.
    ---
    erco, why would your robots be visiting NYC? I think I saw one being ignored by a cab, twice.
  • Sent.
    edited 2016-05-03 20:49
    David: I saw your two posts on the Sparkfun forum, both from November. You have 8 here! If I were you, I'd just repost there regularly.

"It won't be long now" said the dog with his tail on the railroad track.

I wouldn't go below $200 if I were you. Money's money.

Or else, get someone to do a side job for you, offering the card as payment. :)
  • It's been sold! The first batch of photos shot with the new lens are here.
    Dangit, I was just about to offer you $400 for it. :)

Way to dodge that bullet!
  • erco wrote: »
    Dangit, I was just about to offer you $400 for it. :)

Way to dodge that bullet!

Hang on, I think I have another one sitting around here....
  • WhitWhit Posts: 4,191
    It's been sold! The first batch of photos shot with the new lens are here.

I'd say you got the lens use down! Looks great David.

• Very cool photos.

I doubt the images I take with my end of the deal will look so good but I've wanted an excuse to try one of SparkFun's FLiR Dev Kits since I first saw it. Thanks to the deal struck with David, I can try it a more reasonable price.
  • Should have posted full res of the D5500 but the bokeh looks good though
  • Should have posted full res of the D5500 but the bokeh looks good though

There's nothing in my neighborhood worth looking at at such a high resolution :P

Here you go though. This is a full-res image of a couple wedding gifts.
    Link

The blur in the bottom left of the image is pretty extreme though. I can't tell if that's bokeh or damage inside the lens. The zoom action and focus ring are damaged (replacement lens arriving later today) but I haven't been able to repeat this extreme blur in the bottom left with any other shots.
  • DavidZemon wrote: »
    The blur in the bottom left of the image is pretty extreme though.

I just assumed the blur was a depth of field thing.

I don't see signs of a flash so I assume the photo was taken with ambient light. Right? Wouldn't that require a low f stop number (with accompanying narrow field of view)?

I'm not familiar with either the camera or lens but am I missing something obvious.

Has much changed in photography since I earned my photography merit badge 40 years ago?
    Duane Degn wrote: »
    Thanks to the deal struck with David, I can try it a more reasonable price.

So YOU'RE his Huckleberry! Nice to hear everyone made out.

• Duane Degn wrote: »
    The blur in the bottom left of the image is pretty extreme though.

I just assumed the blur was a depth of field thing.

I don't see signs of a flash so I assume the photo was taken with ambient light. Right? Wouldn't that require a low f stop number (with accompanying narrow field of view)?

I'm not familiar with either the camera or lens but am I missing something obvious.

Has much changed in photography since I earned my photography merit badge 40 years ago?

No flash, 1/13s, f/4.5, 48mm, ISO 800. Maybe it's fine :) I'm still learning. I just know the lens is damaged (other signs, irrelevant of this image) and therefore wasn't sure if that damage was also manifesting as a blurry image or not.
  • It's hard to tell from the wedding gift picture since that corner is certainlly in the foreground and is out of the focal plane. The bokeh effects with the cloth could just make it looks worse than it is.

The lens is probably wide open or close to wide open for that focal length, so you will seem image quality issues toward the edges which combined with being out of focus anyway will look worse.

You first set of shots didn't show any issues in that corner and most (all?) of them were also shot wide open for the 200mm focal length.

The damage you descirbe could have knocked an element loose or messed up VR in some way, so any testing with this lens is pretty much pointless.

The 1/13 of a second shutter speed is probably on the limits of the VR's capability - you're asking for about 3-4 stops worth of shake for the VR to pick up. Plus you may not be as steady yet if you aren't used to the bigger glass hanging off the front of your camera.

The pictures with the new lens are a lot better than the picture you were getting from your gift card!! :)