New Cheap Windows Tablet

1234568»

Comments

• ercoerco Posts: 17,950
    Tor wrote: »
    Turns out Microsoft sets a limit on these types of computers. They can't have more than 32 GB storage, and the RAM must be limited, plus other limitations - otherwise they drastically increase the Windows tax. And that's why the specs on these things are always very close to unusable.

Yes, and per another discussion, the free Windows versions are only free for tablet computers with a screen under 9", which explains the conspicuous labeling of 8.95" here. :)
    "When you make a thing, a thing that is new, it is so complicated making it that it is bound to be ugly. But those that make it after you, they don’t have to worry about making it. And they can make it pretty, and so everybody can like it when others make it after you."

- Pablo Picasso
  • David Betz wrote: »
    I got a very nice but not so cheap tablet: a Microsoft Surface Pro 4. I mostly bought it on Heater's recommendation. It seems to work quite nicely. Later tonight I'm going to try to connect its dock to my two 27" monitors.

And I assume that comes with Microsoft Signature Edition? So you don't waste hours cleaning off the vendor's junk ware/trialware/...?
  • KeithE wrote: »
    David Betz wrote: »
    I got a very nice but not so cheap tablet: a Microsoft Surface Pro 4. I mostly bought it on Heater's recommendation. It seems to work quite nicely. Later tonight I'm going to try to connect its dock to my two 27" monitors.

And I assume that comes with Microsoft Signature Edition? So you don't waste hours cleaning off the vendor's junk ware/trialware/...?
    I didn't see too much junk on it although I think there is a trial copy of Office 365. I just ignored it. :-)

BTW, it works quite nicely with the doc and two 27" monitors connected.

• These limited netbooks tend not to come with much bundled crap. I've bought several tablets and clamshell format laptops under these limits for work and they've been remarkably free of cruft. Saves a couple of hours getting each of them ready for use, which practically makes them free.
  • ercoerco Posts: 17,950
    edited April 22 Vote Up0Vote Down
    Thanks localroger, you taught me a new word and a new meaning today when I looked it up. From http://searchsoftwarequality.techtarget.com/definition/cruft

Cruft is a collective term for the elements of a program, system or product that are either useless, poorly designed or both. In computing, cruft describes areas of redundant, improper or simply badly written code, as well as old or inferior hardware and electronics. Cruft may also be used to describe a group of hackers, just as "pod" describes a group of whales, "exultation" a group of larks and "murder" a group of crows.
    "When you make a thing, a thing that is new, it is so complicated making it that it is bound to be ugly. But those that make it after you, they don’t have to worry about making it. And they can make it pretty, and so everybody can like it when others make it after you."

- Pablo Picasso
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 20,986
    edited April 22 Vote Up0Vote Down
    Derived from "crust", but with an 18th century twist:

Franklin: '... and among these are Life, Liberty, and the Purfuit of Happineff?'
    Jefferson: That's 'Pursuit of Happiness'
    Franklin: Well, all your s's look like f's.
    Jefferson: It's stylish. It's in; it's very in.
    Franklin: Oh, well, if it's in.

-Stan Freberg, The United States of America

-Phil
    “Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away. -Antoine de Saint-Exupery
  • Derived from "crust", but with an 18th century twist:

Franklin: '... and among these are Life, Liberty, and the Purfuit of Happineff?'
    Jefferson: That's 'Pursuit of Happiness'
    Franklin: Well, all your s's look like f's.
    Jefferson: It's stylish. It's in; it's very in.
    Franklin: Oh, well, if it's in.

-Stan Freberg, The United States of America

-Phil

lol, I love that LP, I wish I had it on cd!
    Jim