Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Favorite multitool? — Parallax Forums

Favorite multitool?

Looking for suggestions for multitools...especially for one that is specialized for electronics/robotics.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Comments

• Leatherman Tread... :thumb: :thumb:
  • Leatherman Wave has knives accessable from the outside.

Leatherman Squirt tiny and good for wiring.
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,253
    No contest. Plato #170 flush cutters. Cut/strip wire, components, plastic, thin metal, plants, toenails, superglue drips, anything. My #1 "multi" tool hands down.
  • Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    Can you open a beer bottle with a Plato? :)
  • TorTor Posts: 2,010
    Almost anything can be used to open a beer bottle (I use my house key, a guy in the next town used his eye socket), and after googling for an image of that Plato I believe it should be up for the job.

-Tor
    True enough. If needs must :)
    Those pointy tips could open a beer bottle and do a number on a terrorist hijacker, too!
  • One of my sources of income is as a freelance electrician. My most used tool in my hip pouch is a Gardner Bender GST-70M. I also use it frequently on my electronics workbench.
    However, with my electronics workbench, I have a wide selection of small tools (many given to me by my boss when I left HP in 1995), so I usually use the "right tool for the task at hand" as opposed to a multitool that is "nearly the right tool for every task".
    erco,

You mean you can get a Plato onto a flight without any hassle?

• GenetixGenetix Posts: 1,742
    edited 2015-10-14 10:27
    Don't bother with a multi-tool.
    A cheap zippered case toolkit has more of what you need especially the electronics versions.

Also depending upon what you are working there may be specialty tools that you just need to buy anyway.
  • Heater. wrote: »
    erco,

Andrew,

You are as bad as erco with neat products! :)

You just made me buy one.

Genetix,

A decent multi-tool is great. With you all the time, small and discrete. Always ready to crack open an old PC or gut a fish when needs be. And has a certain "cool" factor by virtue of being so frikken expensive :)

Proper tools are also required of course, when you want to get a serious job done.

Heater. wrote: »
    erco,

Yup. Ironically, returning from China, airport security guards confiscated toenail scissors, but not my Plato. THAT's how I know they cut toenails so well!

• erco wrote: »
    Heater. wrote: »
    erco,

Yup. Ironically, returning from China, airport security guards confiscated toenail scissors, but not my Plato. THAT's how I know they cut toenails so well!

• Publison wrote: »

Andrew,

You are as bad as erco with neat products! :)

You just made me buy one.

LOL, sorry, but those are a must have in my opinion. I am also looking at trying out the GST-224M. The romex 14/2 stripping blades on it have me curious as to it's true performance. If they actually work decently, that could simplify stripping those wires while on my belly in the corner of an attic.