Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Bipedal Robot Smartphone — Parallax Forums

Bipedal Robot Smartphone

ercoerco Posts: 20,254
I wonder how handy this li'l robot would be in a bar fight. More specifically, the bar fight it caused and the resulting Smile-kicking you deserved for walking into a bar with a toy robot hanging out of your pocket, taking photos, being cute and answering your calls. I'll pass for now.

http://www.roboticstrends.com/article/do_we_really_need_a_robot_that_doubles_as_a_smartphone

Comments

• TorTor Posts: 2,010
    It seems a bit big for keeping in a shirt pocket for phone calls.. but as I don't visit bars anymore I wouldn't mind getting one, if only for practicing Japanese :)
  • Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    I could twist it's neck something rotten.
  • I can't get this. I'm still waiting for the Pomegranate Phone to be released...
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,254
    I suppose the little robot could provide photos and video from the brawl as courtroom evidence.
  • Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    Not many years ago, before there was an internet for most people and certainly before the smart phone, or indeed mobile phones at all, if you pulled out a camera in a bar around here you were immediately in a whole world of grief.

Ah, happy days, they were.

• This reminds me of Google's Panda.

The Panda was an April Fool's joke. What is RoBoHoN?
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,254
    Ouch. That Panda video was painful to watch. The audience didn't even know how to react other than clap at every pause.
  • erco wrote: »
    Ouch. That Panda video was painful to watch. The audience didn't even know how to react other than clap at every pause.

At least you knew it was an April Fool's joke from the start. When I originally watched it, I wondered if the world had gone crazier than I had originally thought. I was relieved to realize it was an April Fool's joke. This RoBoHoN now has me wondering if I need to reassess the level of craziness in the world.

I think I'm accepting of having robots in our world but I really don't see why anyone would want their cell phone to be a robot. I can understand wanting a robot to have the capabilities of a cell phone but I wouldn't want to use the robot as a cell phone.