Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Bluesmirf Propeller Communications for Dummies — Parallax Forums

Bluesmirf Propeller Communications for Dummies

Hi all,
Few quick question involving the Bluesmirf bluetooth module and propeller. I found the very well made Bluesmirf code off of the OBEX by Matthew Brown but am a little confused as to how to set it up for simple serial communications between a PC and the propeller board. The initialization commands just ask for master or slave mode and the PIN code while that method handles all the connections internally. How would you properly initialize and send data via wireless like any serial port? Do I need to open a serial port first using the FullDuplexSerial object? Does the bluesmirf need to be connected to any specific pins that are dedicated to Tx and Rx? Do the Bluesmirf and declared Tx/Rx pins on the prop board need to be crossed (Bsmirf Tx = Prop Rx)? Thanks again and pardon my naivete in advance...I am still very new to all this!

SPIN files attached below

Comments

• Duane DegnDuane Degn Posts: 10,588
    edited 2015-10-04 21:59
    At first glance it looks like "BlueSmirf_Bluetooth_Modem.spin" is intended to be used as a serial driver with various methods passing through commands to "FullDuplexSerial.spin" (FDS) I don't see how the driver can work in its current state. There's not call to start method of FDS.

I don't know enough about Bluesmirf modules to know what sort of advantages they offer but there are lots of inexpensive Bluetooth modules which work great with the Propeller. I've used HC-05 modules myself and I think they work great.

I think most of Bluetooth modules behave about the same when used as a simple UART pass through. The trick is configuring the modules. I have code which makes it easy to configure HC-05 modules and it looks like Mathew Brown has experience setting up these Bluesmirf modules. I'm not sure, but maybe the code was intended to be used as a guide on how to configure the modules without it being ready to use as a serial driver replacement. The files attached to the top post don't appear to be complete if it's intended to be used as a serial driver.
  • I was just as stumped as you in this regard. I know the bluesmirf uses an RN-42 module and some extra add-ons to make it a neat module but if you think the HC-05 is worth it then I will try that too. I just need it to send CSV values every second down the serial line to a listening computer. The values are taken from some remote sensors...nothing fancy. Basically just a wireless serial cable replacement solution is what I really need. Thanks for the input..,makes me feel less crazy knowing another person can't seem to see how this is instantiated as a working serial driver.
  • Here's some discussion on Bluetooth modules.

http://forums.parallax.com/discussion/161969/data-transfer-to-smart-device

Once a module has been paired with a master, just about any module should be able to be used as a serial connection.