Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
silver metal case in IR receivers — Parallax Forums

silver metal case in IR receivers

what are the silver metal case in IR receivers for? is it directionality purposes?

Comments

• jmgjmg Posts: 15,145
    I think that is usually shielding, for RFI/EMC protection.
  • Thanks!
  • If you mean the bright silver reflector that is shaped in a quasi-parabolic form; that is the dish that picks up incoming IR and focuses it on the receiving diode---keep these clean, a little dust can dramatically alter the focus pattern---
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,253
    edited 2015-10-15 16:47
    jmg wrote: »
    I think that is usually shielding, for RFI/EMC protection.

Roger that. The metal shield is sometimes removeable, but it doesn't hurt anything. Functionally the same as non-shielded types, and 95% follow the pinout attached in the next post (why can't I add it here?).

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Pinout attached
    600 x 300 - 31K
  • I have several BS2 kits and some came with metal IR receivers while others were plastic.

The metal ones I have are made by a Chinese company called Waitrony and they have an Omega (rounded w) logo on them.
  • Cool, I should probably take both, do the IR remote test, walk around and see the response, see how do both react when triggered from the back...
    They are directional but will usually pick up a strong remote control signal from behind which gets reflected from a background wall. Many robots & toys aim the sensor up for best omnidirectional coverage.