Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Taranis - This drone is one of the most secretive weapons in the world — Parallax Forums

Taranis - This drone is one of the most secretive weapons in the world

http://www.businessinsider.com/british-taranis-drone-first-autonomous-weapon-2015-9

The drone above, called the Taranis, is one of the most cutting-edge drones in production.
At speeds of more than 700 miles an hour, it could come and go without anyone on the ground noticing it, but for the sound of its sonic boom.

It's "virtually invisible to radar," according to David Coates, a spokesperson for BAE Systems, the company that manufactured the drone.

Aptly named for the Celtic god of thunder, the British-made Taranis is one of the most advanced aircraft ever built, and certainly the most advanced built by British engineers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=18&v=znwU_4lLoGE

Comments

• Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    Brilliant, smite your enemy, without ever having to worry about them or who they are or whatever it is they are complaining about.

I love the way human civilization has progressed in the past 2000 years or so.

• ercoerco Posts: 20,250
    That is one big R/C airplane. The video shows it flying around rather sedately, but the narrator swears it's a bitchin' unit. It is pretty, I'll give 'em that. But I'll wait for more demonstrable proof. British aviation firsts include the R-38 (1921) and the R-101 (1930). I hope those Brits are paying some royalty money to Northrup, looks like they morphed the Stealth fighter & bomber together and scaled it down.

Is England big enough to have a secret airbase?

• Ron loves his war materialle... almost a fetish.
  • Sorry Ron, Being sunk. Too many thing that were brought up that had to be deleted.
  • Looks like the Northrup stealth drone.

Still what makes them advanced isn't the airframe or propulsion. It's the avionics, comm and sensor suites. They'll never brag about that stuff but it's the important part.

• erco wrote: »
    British aviation firsts include the R-38 (1921) and the R-101 (1930). I hope those Brits are paying some royalty money to Northrup

Don't forget the Harrier V/STOL. I hope Boeing are paying royalties to BAE
  • Ron loves his war materialle... almost a fetish.

Not really but a lot of high tech development goes into planes, ships, radar, space exploration, etc, etc that would never be seen otherwise.

• Sorry Ron,
    It is just a bit awkward that so much of the slick news releases about new leading edge technology are weapons related.
  • skylightskylight Posts: 1,915
    edited 2015-10-05 00:09
    erco wrote: »

Is England big enough to have a secret airbase?
    Shhhhh it's secret!!