Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Adblock Sells Out - Page 2 — Parallax Forums

Adblock Sells Out

2»

Comments

• potatohead wrote: »
    Yes, a lot of people do. Young people today don't have the same incentives to lock into generational genres like we did. They may center in on metal, for example, and the back catalog competes with current productions in ways that were not true prior to digital distribution.

We may be in the age of the last megastars because of this. Taylor Swift may be the last of that kind of musician.

Not my kind. I prefer the musicians who can successfully master a piano work by Chopin for example. Or the violin concertos by either Mendelssohn, or by Brahms, or even the one by Tchaikovsky, and certainly the one by Beethoven. (Before them.)

That's why I cited as an example both of those films, or the Kubrick one. Heck, even the music Williams composed for the epic Star Wars films, and then the gang for the original Star Trek series and its movies, and the next generation. (Nearly all of the movie music thus described are considered to be classics by WXQR-FM's music librarians.)

I do my best work listening to such music, and playing on that station or CD or MP3 players.

But we digress.
    More specifically, reason to avoid iOS. I won't touch it, due to the application controls.

What Apple did was also disallow many of the most annoying AD forms. This was a reasonable balance, and that was acceptable to a lot of people running iOS. The game has changed, and Apple had to allow blocking software as the balance was disturbed.

They were trying to recapture their original glory with the way their devices work. They are getting back to it slowly.

By the way? Did all of you know that to write apps for that platform you need to be practically security cleared?
  • Yep. And that is a valid business offering. People who value a well managed experience pay well for it. Apple has something like 80 percent of phone profits with a much smaller share percentage.

They get to do that. I support them doing that. And I prefer Android.
  • kwinnkwinn Posts: 8,697
    potatohead wrote: »
    Yes, a lot of people do. Young people today don't have the same incentives to lock into generational genres like we did. They may center in on metal, for example, and the back catalog competes with current productions in ways that were not true prior to digital distribution.

We may be in the age of the last megastars because of this. Taylor Swift may be the last of that kind of musician.

And this is a good thing IMHO. Having almost a century's worth of recorded music to choose from may reduce the the amount of poorly written and produced drivel pushed out now.
  • Like who? I prefer the works as playing on radio station WQXR-FM in NYC, as it happens.
  • potatoheadpotatohead Posts: 10,254
    edited 2015-10-04 23:04
    Who indeed. Almost nobody I know actually uses radio anymore. The shift happened fast too.

Too many ADS and streaming services, podcasts, etc... offer very compelling entertainment in the car.

This has happened to me over the last two years. If it's audio, I get it on a phone and queue it for drive or other kinds of listening time. I just don't do radio anymore at all.
    Who indeed. Almost nobody I know actually uses radio anymore. The shift happened fast too.

Too many ADS and streaming services, podcasts, etc... offer very compelling entertainment in the car.

This has happened to me over the last two years. If it's audio, I get it on a phone and queue it for drive or other kinds of listening time. I just don't do radio anymore at all.

Interesting. Incidentally Public Radio is safe. No ads. That's what I listen to. I wrote off commercial radio because the advertising was even sillier then the video ones, and don't get me started on print or online......
  • Except for regular fundraising.

I don't do much print, but I'm just fine online.

• Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    I love this AdBlock story.

I have this great intruder alarm for your home. It's very effective. You can have one for free.

But, I'm going to take money from anyone who pays me to allow them bypass my system and enter your home.

I mean, how else do you expect we support a free intruder alarm system?

• That reminds me of those incredibly predictable ads concerning an alarm company that thinks its so good that they give it away for free. The catch? Yes you do pay for it, by getting stuck with a lean imposed on the property by them.

I'm convinced that anyone who's as nearly intelligent as we all are in here, would see that and order it canceled regardless of how the company feels about it, and then cancel the service so fast that the company would doubt strongly the speed of light.