Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Prop2 FPGA files!!! - Updated 2 June 2018 - Final Version 32i - Page 29 — Parallax Forums

Prop2 FPGA files!!! - Updated 2 June 2018 - Final Version 32i

Comments

• RaymanRayman Posts: 13,897
    edited 2015-11-24 17:18
    I think several of the setxfreq example values are wrong in the docs

Chip says they are correct but I'm not seeing it...

For example, I think the value for 1/3 should lie between 1/2 and 1/4, right?
  • cgraceycgracey Posts: 14,133
    Rayman wrote: »

You may be right. Bit 31 is the 1.0 position and bit 30 is the 0.5 position. I'll review those.
    Rayman wrote: »

You were right. I just fixed them all. Thanks for noticing this.
  • RaymanRayman Posts: 13,897
    Got a question about 1, 2 or 4 bit LUT modes...

Maybe you'd want to do high resolution VGA or something without external RAM. Seems you'd want these modes for that...

Can one use a different LUT origin for each horizontal line?

That might be nice... Would let you show more colors on the screen...
  • potatoheadpotatohead Posts: 10,254
    edited 2015-11-24 23:46
    Or just load the LUT entries needed for that line during the blanking period. I did that for some testing on the character driver.

• AribaAriba Posts: 2,682
    Rayman

You can modify the long that defines the Streamer mode for pixel output (m_rf) for every line. The bbbb field lets you choose between 16 colorsets in the LUT. SETNIB is the ideal instruction for that.

Andy
    edited 2015-11-25 01:28
    Ariba wrote: »
    Rayman

You can modify the long that defines the Streamer mode for pixel output (m_rf) for every line. The bbbb field lets you choose between 16 colorsets in the LUT. SETNIB is the ideal instruction for that.

Andy

You can do it MULTIPLE times on a scan line, if you want.
    edited 2015-11-25 04:05
    You mean like that ;)

NTSC_char80c.jpg
    It's an 80 colums texdriver with a color per character, without buffering of lines. All realtime modification of the streamer address and color field.

Andy
    665 x 375 - 79K
    That looks good, Ariba.

Are you keeping the font in the cog or the hub?
    edited 2015-11-25 04:30
    Nice!!

Wait... Are you pointing the streamer directly at the character pixels? Would have to be HUB, wouldn't it?

:) Do tell.

Seems you probably are. Doing things the old P1 way vs the new P2 way. Cool beans.

@Rayman: Well, that means you can do 2 or 4bpp, per tile, easy. Lots of colors. For a lot of images, that will do a very nice job.

• Nice one Ariba!
    :) Do tell +1
    The font is in cogram (128 characters), the screenbuffer with a word per character is in hub, and the video streamer works in immediate 1 bit mode.

Here is the code, I have also a 40 column variant that is more steady.

Andy
    edited 2015-11-25 04:49
    Very nice! You know, I've not explored indexing in the COG much. Was always slow on P1, HUB was faster.

This works out to a couple fewer instructions per character, no hub access waits, and that leaves room for the clever color attribute, and yes SETNIB shines there.

We are gonna learn a lot over the next few weeks. :)

BTW: On P1, Eric and I worked pretty hard to get "80 @ 80mhz", and it took two COGS. This is a nice speed boost, and it shows the flexibility of the streamer nicely. 80@50mhz and one COG, with attributes is one heck of a speed up, and there are 16 COGS!

Thanks

Yeah, I never thought that this will work with 80 characters when I startet.

With the tighter VGA timing I can do only 40 characters.

Andy
  • Thanks to Chip, I now have a 1-2-3 A9 board. Is there an image available for it yet?
  • I just my A9 board too
    Oh, boy! It's time to start making A9 images.

I will compile one now and post it.
  • David Betz wrote: »
    Thanks to Chip, I now have a 1-2-3 A9 board. Is there an image available for it yet?
    Actually, it looks like the A9 board powers up with an image already in it. Is that the most recent image? If so, I guess there is no rush uploading it to this thread.

David Betz wrote: »
    Thanks to Chip, I now have a 1-2-3 A9 board. Is there an image available for it yet?
    Actually, it looks like the A9 board powers up with an image already in it. Is that the most recent image? If so, I guess there is no rush uploading it to this thread.

Can you please run all_cogs_blink.spin and find out how many green LEDs blink? That might only have one cog.
  • cgracey wrote: »

Can you please run all_cogs_blink.spin and find out how many green LEDs blink? That might only have one cog.
    All of the red LEDs light and one of the green ones flashes. I guess that means I only have one COG?

edited 2015-11-25 22:08
    cgracey wrote: »

All of the red LEDs light and one of the green ones flashes. I guess that means I only have one COG?

Okay. I'm compiling for 16 cogs right now. This will take about 40 minutes.
    cgracey wrote: »

Okay. I'm comping for 16 cogs right now. This will take about 40 minutes.
    Sounds good!

edited 2015-11-25 22:11
    Ariba had mentioned the wrapping pointers we had on P2-Hot. Those were great for circular buffers and FIRs. I found a really simple way to incorporate them into ALTI. Basic functionality is still expressed in the bottom 9 bits of S, which means 9-bit immediate values are normally adequate, leaving upper bits of S cleared. Now ALTI uses the next 9 bits up as a similar set of three 3-bit fields to constrain incrementing and decrementing:
    ALTI D,S/#

S/# = %rrr_ddd_sss_RRR_DDD_SSS

%RRR_DDD_SSS = original purpose: result/destination/source modifiers; same/dec/inc, substitute into next instruction
    %rrrr_ddd_sss = new wrapping limiters

rrr/ddd/sss now each have this purpose, where %f is the original field data in D and %n is the newly incremented/decremented value:

%000 --> %nnnnnnnnn, full 512-register range (default for 9-bit constant S operands)
    %001 --> %fnnnnnnnn, 256-register range
    %010 --> %ffnnnnnnn, 128-register range
    %011 --> %fffnnnnnn, 64-register range
    %100 --> %ffffnnnnn, 32-register range
    %101 --> %fffffnnnn, 16-register range
    %110 --> %ffffffnnn, 8-register range
    %111 --> %fffffffnn, 4-register range

If you are using a 9-bit constant for S, you have the normal 512-register range for inc/dec. If you use a register for S, you can make wrapping buffers. This addition was very little logic:
    BEFORE:

wire [8:0] alts  = d[08:00] + {{8{s[1:0] == 2'b10}}, s[1]};   // s[01:00] --> s field: same, same, dec, inc

AFTER:

wire [8:0] altsx = d[08:00] + {{8{s[1:0] == 2'b10}}, s[1]};   // s[01:00] --> s field: same, same, dec, inc
    wire [8:0] altsm = 9'h1FF >> s[11:09];                        // s[11:09] --> original/new sliding mask
    wire [8:0] alts	 = ~altsm & d[08:00] | altsm & altsx;

This means that wrapping buffers must be 2^n, in size, and must exist on an integral buffer-size boundary (ie 16-register buffers can exist at $000-$00F, $010..$01F, $020..$02F, etc.) It's not as flexible as Prop2-Hot was, but gets the job done.
    I just posted a new file at the top of this thread which includes Prop123-A9 support.
  • I had to change fclk = 50_000_000.0 to fclk = 80_000_000.0 to get the vga demo's to work on the A9 board
    Roadster wrote: »
    I had to change fclk = 50_000_000.0 to fclk = 80_000_000.0 to get the vga demo's to work on the A9 board

We've replaced all but two Prop123 -A7 boards with -A9 boards. Next compile, I'll bump all but the -A7 boards up to 80Mhz. 100Mhz may even be possible.
    I just posted a new file at the top of this thread which includes Prop123-A9 support.
    Thanks, Chip! Have a great Thanksgiving!

• All 16 green LEDs on my new 1-2-3 A9 board are now blinking. I'm in business! Thanks, Chip!
  • Mine didn't show up today. :(
    Guess i'm stuck with turkey, football and relatives tomorrow!
  • Yay!! Mine was in the mail today!!!

It will be impossible to use 16 COGS and 512KB of hub!! :)

(there, that should get the juices flowing!)