Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Prop2 FPGA files!!! - Updated 2 June 2018 - Final Version 32i - Page 28 — Parallax Forums

Prop2 FPGA files!!! - Updated 2 June 2018 - Final Version 32i

Comments

• Chip, I think it's only the byte order that's the wrong way around, as I've done a 2bpp driver that I needed to change the order of the 2bits in each byte, keep it little endian in longs it just makes more sense.

Hope this helps.
  • cgraceycgracey Posts: 14,133
    Baggers wrote: »
    Chip, I think it's only the byte order that's the wrong way around, as I've done a 2bpp driver that I needed to change the order of the 2bits in each byte, keep it little endian in longs it just makes more sense.

Hope this helps.

You mean the byte order is okay, but the bitfield order is the issue?
  • RaymanRayman Posts: 13,861
    edited 2015-11-20 11:27
    Just something to consider...

The SSD1921 offers both byte and word swap options...
    This, together with nibble and bit order options that we have now would let you do anything you want (say you wanted to mirror image the display, for instance):

The SSD1921 also has a "floating window" option which is an inset image that can be at a different bit per pixel. I think that can be done here with streamer too...
    577 x 641 - 36K
  • Yeah, it seemed that way chip :D I didn't need to mix the bytes to get it to work, just the bits in the bytes :)
  • I'll look this evening. Will test 2bpp.

I just saw that Photoshop can save as 16-bpp BMP after all. Guess I remembered wrong...
    There are several types of 16-bpp actually, but one is 565.
    Here's a bird photo scaled to 640x350 (which happens to be a standard VGA mode).

This will be fun to try. See if my monitor will accept that resolution. Also, see how 16bpp at 640x350 compares in real life to 852x480 at 8bpp.

Here's the 16-bpp BMP file:
    This mode (640x350x16bpp) looks pretty good on my monitor, although there are ~1/2" black bands on top and bottom of picture:

I'm thinking that 640x350x1bpp will fit in DE0...

640 x 480 - 82K
    Here's a 1bpp version of 640x350 running on DE0-nano:
    640 x 480 - 113K
    edited 2015-11-21 02:41
    After adding those bitfield swappers, I realized there were a few things that were bugging me about the transfer unit:

1) You couldn't synchronously change the frequency at the start of a command (this got really out-of-whack with command buffering).
    2) You couldn't constrain DDS activity to part of the LUT and have fine offsets.

So, to solve the frequency issue, I made it so you can do SETQ+XINIT/XZERO/XCONT to buffer Q along with the command's D and S value. When the command is started, the frequency is updated right on the appropriate clock edge, for totally predictable operation. You can still use SETXFRQ to change the frequency, on the fly.

For constraining DDS to certain parts of the LUT, I started using the S/# of XINIT/XZERO/XCONT (in DDS mode) to set up the size of the area, its location, and its initial offset, as it wraps within the confines of the area. This lets you set up playable lookup tables of 512/256/128/64/32/16/8/4 samples at any offset of the same granularity. Combing the SETQ+ frequency updating makes for a really flexible and accurate waveform generator.

I'm compiling new FPGA images now, and I hope to get these out and have the documentation updated this evening.
  • potatoheadpotatohead Posts: 10,253
    edited 2015-11-23 17:29
    Awesome. I was about to ask about freq changes. Got started on a new vsync portion that comes from p1.

2bpp check later tonite.
    Rayman wrote: »
    This mode (640x350x16bpp) looks pretty good on my monitor, although there are ~1/2" black bands on top and bottom of picture:

I'm thinking that 640x350x1bpp will fit in DE0...

That really looks nice!

I changed the field loop to make 525 total lines, which that 640x480 mode expects, and it made the image perfectly proportional. I'm glad you are testing out all these modes!
    '
    '
    ' Field loop
    '
    field           mov     x,#85                   'top blanks
                    call    #blank

mov     x,#350                  'set visible lines
    line            call    #hsync                  'do horizontal sync
                    xcont   m_rf,#0                 'visible line
                    djnz    x,#line                 'another line?

mov     x,#88                   'bottom blanks
                    call    #blank

notb    outa+vsync>>5,#vsync    'sync on

mov     x,#2                    'sync blanks
                    call    #blank

notb    outa+vsync>>5,#vsync    'sync off

jmp     #field                  'loop

• Sounds great, I know I will be playing with this tomorrow
  • AribaAriba Posts: 2,682
    Yes, several waveforms inside the LUT is very useful.

Chip, if you anyway make new files:
    I think there is still a problem with the REP instruction and a big repeat count. It seems to be a PNUT problem. If I do this:
         rep     @.end,##24576
    .end

the loop is not executed correct, but if I do it like that:
         augs    #24576
         rep     @.end,#24576 & 511
    .end

it works well.

Andy
    Ariba wrote: »
    Yes, several waveforms inside the LUT is very useful.

Chip, if you anyway make new files:
    I think there is still a problem with the REP instruction and a big repeat count. It seems to be a PNUT problem. If I do this:
         rep     @.end,##24576
    .end

the loop is not executed correct, but if I do it like that:
         augs    #24576
         rep     @.end,#24576 & 511
    .end

it works well.

Andy

Yes, someone pointed that out. Thanks for bringing that up again. I will fix that in the next release tonight. It's a PNut issue, of course.
    Okay. I just posted a new file with updated FPGA images and examples at the top of this thread. I fixed the REP bug in PNut, too.

In the next 30 minutes, I'll have the Google Doc file updated with all the changes.
    Thank you, Chip
    edited 2015-11-21 12:22
    Chip, your change to 640x350 adds black bars to the sides of the image, so the proportions do look better. Monitor now thinks it has 640x480 instead of the 720x400 it had before...

Maybe I'll see if I can get it to fill the screen back in this 720x400 mode...
  • Been a while since I've used my DEO-Nano for anything but P1... Are the attached board(s) in this pic required to use the DEO-Nano for P2?

DE0_Nano.jpg

Thanks,
    dgately

No, it's not required. But without it you can't do video. The add-on board mainly adds four R-2R DACs.
    There is a FPGA image for the DE0-Nano without the Add-on board. Then you only need a PropPlug.

Andy
    dgately wrote: »
    Been a while since I've used my DEO-Nano for anything but P1... Are the attached board(s) in this pic required to use the DEO-Nano for P2?

DE0_Nano.jpg

Thanks,
    dgately

Just configure it with the DE0_Nano_Prop2_v6.jic file from the .zip at the top of this thread.
    edited 2015-11-22 00:04
    I just completed the CORDIC documentation in the Google Doc at the top of this thread.

I'm kind of surprised at how little text is actually required to explain some things that are so complex. That sounds kind of delusional, I know. Maybe I didn't do it right.
  • So, that's what that CORDIC thingie does! Cool! That can come in handy (mathematically, I'm mostly a multiply/divide guy) :)

I got something out of your documentation, so you must have done some good explaining!
    edited 2015-11-22 05:52
    mindrobots wrote: »
    So, that's what that CORDIC thingie does! Cool! That can come in handy (mathematically, I'm mostly a multiply/divide guy) :)

I got something out of your documentation, so you must have done some good explaining!

If you ever get into audio synthesis, you're going to LOVE rotation, vectoring, logarithm, and exponent functions.
  • Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,069
    Chip,
    I have just been reading the documents and the Cordic section.

You explained, when multiple cordic operations are underway, if the cog misses reading a result in time, GETQX/GETQY could cause a cog lockup.

This might be a potential solution to prevent this situation...
    When a GETQX or GETQY instruction is executed, a 6 bit counter is reset. If the instruction pauses waiting for a result, on each clock the counter is incremented. When the 6bit counter overflows (a count of 64 being less logic than 36) the GETQX/GETQY instruction terminates with a (say $0 or $FFFFFFFF ???) result. Alternately even an interrupt could occur (such as the debug interrupt - used as an "error" interrupt).
    Cluso99 wrote: »
    Chip,
    I have just been reading the documents and the Cordic section.

You explained, when multiple cordic operations are underway, if the cog misses reading a result in time, GETQX/GETQY could cause a cog lockup.

This might be a potential solution to prevent this situation...
    When a GETQX or GETQY instruction is executed, a 6 bit counter is reset. If the instruction pauses waiting for a result, on each clock the counter is incremented. When the 6bit counter overflows (a count of 64 being less logic than 36) the GETQX/GETQY instruction terminates with a (say $0 or $FFFFFFFF ???) result. Alternately even an interrupt could occur (such as the debug interrupt - used as an "error" interrupt).

Good idea - a timeout and an event!
  • jmgjmg Posts: 15,145
    Cluso99 wrote: »
    I thought the cog-lockup-solid issues had been sorted ? - but it seems not ?
    It would be great to avoid this, as it is a nasty failure mode, that may have a low 'hit rate', if close to the threshold.

• evanhevanh Posts: 15,187
    edited 2015-11-22 21:11
    cgracey wrote: »
    Good idea - a timeout and an event!

I ended up preferring an extra internal flag. Amongst other features, it returns immediately upon a no-result condition. See - http://forums.parallax.com/discussion/comment/1352089/#Comment_1352089

• I went ahead and checked 2bpp mode and the optional bit order options and they work just fine. I got a nice 4 color lookup and I got the correct characters in 1bpp mode.

That one looks good.

I also gave the dynamic frequency change a try, and had a good result.
    line	        call	#hsync			'do horizontal sync

mov	whichbuff, x		'prepare to determine line buffer for scanline
    		and	whichbuff, #1	wz	'is odd?
    	if_z	rdfast	#0,linerame		'No!  Use even buffer
    	if_nz	rdfast	#0,lineramo		'Yep.  Use odd buffer
    		SETQ 	##round(f_fat)	
    		xcont	m_rf,#1			'visible line rflong 1 bit per pixel, reverse order
    		mov	numchar, #32		'Get the character pixels for the next scanline written
    		call	#dochars

cmp	subchar, #%111	wz	'last line of current line of characters? don't roll back PTRB
    	 if_nz	sub	ptrb, #32		'gotta do all the scanlines, before advancing screen pointer
    		add	activescan, #1		'scanline done, indicate current scanline
    		djnz    x,#line           	'all done?  No, loop to line.

See the SETQ, just prior to XCONT? Works a treat, and I've got fat pixels in the display without having to adjust all the other timing. We needed this one. Thanks Chip. I've got another one in the HSYNC routine that puts the timing back to the standard for the rest of the frame.

This can give us windows of different color depths and or pixel sizes on the same screen.

With this, it's pretty easy to go and lift sync and other pixel sequences from P1. :) That's on my list next, now that my DE2 is running again.

Guys, don't let the DE2 get cold. It gets cranky.

• line	        call	#hsync			'do horizontal sync

mov	whichbuff, x		'prepare to determine line buffer for scanline
    		and	whichbuff, #1	wz	'is odd?
    	if_z	rdfast	#0,linerame		'No!  Use even buffer
    	if_nz	rdfast	#0,lineramo		'Yep.  Use odd buffer
    		SETQ 	##round(f_fat)	
    		xcont	m_rf,#1			'visible line rflong 1 bit per pixel, reverse order
    		SETQ	##round(f_xfr)
    		xcont	m_rfa, #1
    		mov	numchar, #32		'Get the character pixels for the next scanline written
    		call	#dochars

cmp	subchar, #%111	wz	'last line of current line of characters? don't roll back PTRB
    	 if_nz	sub	ptrb, #32		'gotta do all the scanlines, before advancing screen pointer
    		add	activescan, #1		'scanline done, indicate current scanline
    		djnz    x,#line           	'all done?  No, loop to line.

Just tried mode change mid line. I seem to have lost a little time in the scanline, but it worked otherwise. I'm sure that is due to the rounding going on in the constants. First 16 chars are 4x8, 2 bits per pixel, last 16 chars are 8x8, 1 bit per pixel. So far so good on the new streamer features at low pixel rates and color depths.

Lots of rainbow shimmer on this one. For TV, we are going to need to specify time with a bit more precision, or avoid stuff like this. I've attached it, just as a test of the streamer feature additions.